!&@%$! - money pit

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
Not only did the battery crap out on my '96 today, transmission fluid had leaked out all over the garage floor since last weekend. Replaced the battery and she started up, but the gears wouldn't shift. Had to have it towed to a transmission shop, haven't heard back from them yet. Seriously hoping that there's no major damage. S**t.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well that sucks. My transmission fluid went out about a month ago as well, but it was just a transmission pan gasket thankfully.
Hope you get it sorted out.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
good luck, girl! we're here for ya -- be sure to let us know what's wrong with it and what they price it out for...

OP
OP
krazyrabbit

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
They called me today to let me know that they're going to charge me $500 to remove it, that would be applied to any repairs they'd have to make. As far as I know, that is the original tranny, with about 190K. How much money should it put towards fixing it. How much do used automatic transmissions go for a '96?

turion94

Reaction score
I hate to say it but it seems as tho mustangs in general are just total money pits. Hope your trans isn't shot!

Sent from my SCH-I605 now Free

Nearly everything on the car can, and will eventually, fail. Once you pass the prime of about 100k, things start to go. The worst part is that the inevitable breakdown is caused by nothing more than driving it or simply time passing. This is what I tell myself when something breaks on me and I feel like my car is the worlds biggest piece of shit! lolz

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They called me today to let me know that they're going to charge me $500 to remove it, that would be applied to any repairs they'd have to make. As far as I know, that is the original tranny, with about 190K. How much money should it put towards fixing it. How much do used automatic transmissions go for a '96?

You could find a used auto tranny for like $200-$300 in my area. Junkyards will be about $400-$500 and some will even come with a warranty.

Please whatever you do, don't pay $500 for them to REMOVE it. That's almost 2/3 the price of a whole rebuild.

full force

Reaction score
If you think Mustangs are money pits... don't ever buy a boat!!!! I maintain two 600hp engines in boat and a 500hp Mustang lol fun = money pits!!!!

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Nearly everything on the car can, and will eventually, fail. Once you pass the prime of about 100k, things start to go. The worst part is that the inevitable breakdown is caused by nothing more than driving it or simply time passing. This is what I tell myself when something breaks on me and I feel like my car is the worlds biggest piece of shit! lolz

I couldn't agree more Will lol. I bought mine with 130k on it and within a few months the spark plug shot out of the head ruining the threads which meant heads came off, after that it was ALL downhill... In no particular order, because I simply can't remember the order, rear end blew, clutch cable snapped twice, heater core blew, brakes warped, abs cable got caught (on what I have NO idea) and torn in half, a/c stopped working, battery died.. Lots of routine maintenance that was seriously lacked by the PO.. Just tons of stuff I'm forgetting lol. And this was all within a little over a year. But I'm getting it to the point where things are starting to perform properly because it's all new. Damn mustangs lol...

NJcobra94

Reaction score
honestly sounds like torque converter failure, did it slip at all before this happened... but 500 bucks i ridiculous for trans removal, i could have that trans out in under an hour.

OP
OP
krazyrabbit

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
Not good news, apparently the auto transmission is shot. Since I got the car in Feb I've only driven it two or three times, and that was to the Mustang shop to have the new (used) engine installed, and to get the dyno. THAT'S IT. The mechanic stated the it's been driven with very low fluid and overheated. Not by me, and I DID check the fluids and so did the Mustang mechanic. I have a huge pool of fluid on my garage floor, so I don't think that the transmission was that empty - it just leaked out over the past 3 or 4 months.

The mechanic quoted me $3,200 to rebuild the tranny and for him to put in some kind of cooler unit that sits along side the old radiator. I said no way. I can't afford that, that's more than I spent on the car! I let him know if he can find a used reasonably priced tranny, that he can call me and give me a quote. If not, I'll just have it towed back to my driveway and it can sit there for a while.

Crap, crap, crap and CRAP!

TanTop94

Reaction score
krazy! We have missed you. Sorry to hear about your car, hopefully everything can get resolved with it. Wish you lived closer as I have a respectable transmission shop right outside of my neighborhood and a very trustworthy mechanic.

NJcobra94

Reaction score
if you were a little closer to jersey I have a good auto trans sitting in my shed that I paid $200 for, and $3200 for a rebuild is insane.. I built and 1000hp capable turbo 400 for my freinds nova for less than that

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Damn $3200 is a lot. I'm having mine built by silver fox racing who is one of the better 4r70w performance builders in country. For a 700 + hp trans with hardened shaft etc its only $2300.

your guy is probably just doing a stock rebuild.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shegz67

Members online