Motorcraft Coil?

WHTEVNM

Reaction score
I am not sure how old the coil is on my 95 Cobra so I would like to replace it. I am just considering a Motorcraft coil. I have no idea if the distributor is stock or aftermarket. Do you guys think a Motorcraft coil would be ok, even if the distributor may be aftermarket? Any other coil recommendations would be appreciated as well. See my mods below.

K&N air filter
Gutted air box
65mm throttle body
Timing set at 14* BTDC
Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads
High dollar pistons and rods (engine was rebuilt and this is what the previous owner told me)
Coated shorty headers
Flowmaster exhaust with X-pipe and gutted cats
Smog pump delete
EGR delete
SVE 3 row aluminum radiator
Mr. Gasket 180* thermostat
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Aluminum driveshaft
3.73 gears

Reaction score
Don't ever question the original equipment manufacturer. Unless it's a high performance replacement nothing can beat what's made for your own car from the manufacturer of your car. For the most part I only put on parts that are motorcraft, ford racing or steeda since they're all made closely together in terms of manufacturers recommendations. So in short yes. Go motorcraft unless you have high performance plans down the road

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Everything on that list is pretty much mild bolt ons. Motorcraft stuff will be just fine for that. I remember hearing that you only need strong spark if you're in risk of blowing it out, such as a lot of boost, or a huge shot of nitros.

lutter94

Reaction score
Unless it's a high performance replacement nothing can beat what's made for your own car from the manufacturer of your car.

And don't think because MSD is popular and well marketed, that they are high quality. If you google, you will see plenty of forum posts where MSD blaster coils literally leave people stranded on the side of the road. Ask me know I know.......

Mustanger

Reaction score
YES...Ford OEM coils are the super reliable & much better than most Aftermarket stuff. MSD has produced a lot of trouble but looks nice!

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Long story short. Used different aftermarket crap like coils and dizzy's. Had all types of issues and left on side of the road a few times. All Motorcraft now. No more problems.

Magic

Reaction score
MSD= may suddenly die

Motorcraft is good.
Although, I have an ACCEL coil on mine for over 6 years now. No issues. I also use an ACCEL Cap and Rotor.

Ballistic

Reaction score
And don't think because MSD is popular and well marketed, that they are high quality. If you google, you will see plenty of forum posts where MSD blaster coils literally leave people stranded on the side of the road. Ask me know I know.......

Can vouch for this.

I try to use motorcraft for most things, especially the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online