1995 Mustang GT Emissions delete(Help)

95STANG.GT

Reaction score
So basically somebody stole my catalytic converter, but it is what it is. and that got me thinking to put on a new exhaust on since they cut a chunk from the manifolds. in the perfect world, I'd like to put on some BBK long tube manifolds, and the only manifolds they make for an automatic Mustang are for the Foxbody generation. In order to make them fit I would have to remove the EGR, so if I'm doing that ill pull the smog pump out too. but the problem I have is that since there is no cat and no EGR it will throw a CEL. I was thinking of also putting a Megasquirt Gen 2 into it, but since the Clean Air Act, the aftermarket ECUs won't limit the emissions. Is there a way around deleting the Cat, Smog pump, and EGR without throwing codes or messing up the ECU. or can I send the ECU somewhere to be able to disable the emissions from the ECU itself?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
So on mine I have no converters
No air tubes
No smog pump

But I do have shorty headers
Off road H pipe super 44 flows
And o2 on both sides

The car will run and not trip the check engine light
And you won't need to get a mega squirt

Now if you add a lot of performance parts you will need a tune
Such as megasquirt

Completely up to you if you want to try it
But it will run

joemomma

Reaction score
I run a similar setup and I don't have a CEL either. Removing the EGR will throw a CEL unless you turn it off in the tune. They make (or used to make) "foolers" for the EGR but I've seen mixed results with those. I actually have a plate and the plug but haven't installed it.

shovel

Reaction score
EGR isn't related to the catalytic converter or the secondary air (smog) pump in any way. Also 95's don't have downstream oxygen sensors.

EGR does reduce emissions ( how awful... eww gross clean air ) BUT it also improves fuel efficiency and improves part-throttle throttle response and enables your ignition advance to stay more consistent so you can tune more ambitiously. There are zero down sides to EGR and nobody who understands how it works would ever want to remove it from a naturally aspirated engine if they could avoid it.

You can run a PiMPxs and choose to run with or without EGR, they don't restrict you on that either way in fact the default is no EGR, it's more work to add it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

95STANG.GT

Reaction score
EGR isn't related to the catalytic converter or the secondary air (smog) pump in any way. Also 95's don't have downstream oxygen sensors.

EGR does reduce emissions ( how awful... eww gross clean air ) BUT it also improves fuel efficiency and improves part-throttle throttle response and enables your ignition advance to stay more consistent so you can tune more ambitiously. There are zero down sides to EGR and nobody who understands how it works would ever want to remove it from a naturally aspirated engine if they could avoid it.

You can run a PiMPxs and choose to run with or without EGR, they don't restrict you on that either way in fact the default is no EGR, it's more work to add it.
The reason for the EGR delete is that I'd like to run long tube headers and the only headers they make for an automatic transmission if for the fox body, and since I have an early SN95 I can run fox body headers if I delete the EGR. and since someone stole the cats and broke the manifolds, I am redoing the entire exhaust.

Rod

Reaction score
So basically somebody stole my catalytic converter, but it is what it is. and that got me thinking to put on a new exhaust on since they cut a chunk from the manifolds. in the perfect world, I'd like to put on some BBK long tube manifolds, and the only manifolds they make for an automatic Mustang are for the Foxbody generation. In order to make them fit I would have to remove the EGR, so if I'm doing that ill pull the smog pump out too. but the problem I have is that since there is no cat and no EGR it will throw a CEL. I was thinking of also putting a Megasquirt Gen 2 into it, but since the Clean Air Act, the aftermarket ECUs won't limit the emissions. Is there a way around deleting the Cat, Smog pump, and EGR without throwing codes or messing up the ECU. or can I send the ECU somewhere to be able to disable the emissions from the ECU itself?
You can do this - https://innotronix.net/FORD-MUSTANG-EGR-ELIMINATOR-EGR-DELETE-1986-1995-86-95-5-0-2-3-p290930901
Or this -

Personally I think the first is the best as you don't have to chip the car just because you removed the EGR. NO legit business will mod your ECU, they could get a heavy fine for doing so. That is why ALL aftermarket/stand alone systems are marketed as 'off road only'. I am doing a new engine for my 95 this summer and will be using the BBK FOX auto headers, so I will be in the same boat you are in. I am thinking of going Holley Terminator X Max for Ford. But I am going to eventually Whipple charge my car.

5ohry

Reaction score
I have a stock RA 302 stock head stock intake, 1in install spacer, the below cam. I am running foxbody longtubes with both o2’s. After deleting the egr I noticed the car would idle high on coke starts and have a hard time finding idle after WOT. After doing some digging, I found a EGR eliminator plate and sensor plug. Took both my issues away. I had driven this car for two months before deleting everything, it now gets better gas mileage and doesn’t smell like gas

The only other problem regarding EGR I had after removing the smog pump was keeping a belt on when WOT. SMOG delete pulley ended all my issues,
I did have to install a IAC restrictor to prevent RPM sticking when changing gears

HOPE this helps, I’ll answers any questions

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 7

Slice

Reaction score
I guess I am not of much help except to let you know there is hope. I have a 96 GT and the cats were deleted by the previous owner. Basically H pipe, straight pipes out back into flowmasters. Sounds great, doesn't stink, and runs really well. I noticed there is an under pulley so maybe the smog pump was removed? I wish I could tell you what he did to make it work but it runs great.

maillemaker

Reaction score
I bought a 95 GT about a month ago. He had done a cat delete. Car stank of exhaust fumes. I had cats put back on. No more stink.

shovel

Reaction score
Yeah catless cars smell trashy, there's no way around it. It's probably a bit like in the 90s when every bar allowed cigarettes and none of us really noticed because it was normal. Now if I go hang out on a patio with a smoking friend while they have one I need to wash those clothes the same night or my whole bedroom will smell like stale smoke from the laundry basket. We don't notice what we're around all the time but that doesn't mean it's not there.

lutter94

Reaction score
You can program a chip to remove the EGR codes. That's what I have on my 94. The chip is an old sct 5500B. But it worked well for what I needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online