My drive home

bmcgc

Reaction score
This morning I picked up my ebay purchase 97 Cobra. 175k, all stock the seller (dealer) thinks. My initial research says Im owner number 6.

It was snowing when I picked it up, I was in a tee shirt and jeans, I checked the oil, coolant, lights and made sure it stopped and hopped in and drove 460 miles home.

Some issues, mostly cosmetics, a few mechanicals.

The car has an aftermarket key and key fob, maybe aftermarket alarm. The driver door does not recognize the key and sounds the horn. I have to then relock the doors, unlock the passenger door with the key, then hit the door unlock switch, then I can open the driver door. I dont know if the car has factory keyless, I havent checked for the module. Either way, the aftermarket stuff has to go, I want Ford keys.

The temp gauge rides right at the "a" in normal, that seems high to me. That doesnt leave much room for error. The car has a new radiator. We stopped for lunch, I let the car cool, removed the crossover cap and topped the tube off, no difference. Temp was in the 30s and low 40s all day, whats going to happen when it hits 100+?

At 70mph Im turning about 2175 rpms, the speedo seems right on, 245-45-17 tires, seems doubtful I have 3.27 gears. I got about 22 mpg.

Aftermarket mufflers.

As soon as the car came up to temp, the check engine light came on and stayed on.

The CC doesnt work, the light doesnt come on. Everything else electrical works.

Im hearing a growl. Most likely tranny, rear end or bearings, hard to tell over the muffs. Clutch engages and disengages fine, shifts smooth with no noise.

Car tracks straight, doesnt pull or make noise when the brakes are applied.

A few issues, but nothing that makes me wish I had not bought it. This car has lost all the value its going to lose, so I can tinker and mod to my hearts desire. The next couple days I will give it a good once over to see whats original and whats not. I saw the headlights, mufflers, wheels and radio are not Ford originals, Im sure I will find more.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Your attention to details is going to ptoduce a nice car. Be sure to post pics!!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pics.......vids.........new build thread?!?? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
Is the Cobra windshield cowl the same as V6 and GT on a 97? I need a new one.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure they’re all the same from 94-98. 99-04 will work as well but are 2 piece. But regardless they’re all the same.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
We are in the process of moving and I parked the Cobra in the old houses garage. Its about 30 miles away. Went by today and not a drop of fluid on the garage floor. This was after the 460 mile trip home. All mechanicals except for the muffs appear to be factory original. Needs some love in a few areas and some maintenance Im sure.

I think this car came out of Alabama, I wonder if it was storm damaged. Clean carfax, but carfax only shows what was reported.

I ordered keys and transponders today, as well as a grill and Cobra emblem.

Pics Wed. I work out of town Mon and Tue. She needs a bath before her coming out.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If its rules you want, join the Hells Angles. They have rules.

Don’t mind Scott. He’s usually being funny. It just takes a while to get used to his sense of humor. Once you do though you find that he’s a pretty good guy to know.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think you need to read "SilverBirds" thread to know what is really going on as you dig deeper. You 2 can hold hands as you show us whats what on the rebuilding. It is a testament to the designers that the sn95 still run let alone are as common as they are, I see them where ever I go around the country as the oldest DD still on the road, no more BMW's, Camaro's,old Subi's,Volvo's...the list goes on.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
I resemble that remark! Good luck with the Cobra. I almost bought one like that too.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of the "Used Cobra" I got my 97 exactly 2 years ago. Now that I have replaced most everything but the motor, trans and rear end my car is a great driver. Congrats, post pics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online