My Holley HP EFI installation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yesser the orange mustang bible(Oem sevice manual) has 4 different books and the electrical section has every harness and pin out for it. Let me know what others you need and I will put them up. Now the rule for wiring though is you MUST test every wire prior to hooking it up. Be sure on any constang/ignition wire that you test them while the engine is cranking. Not many people know there are actually two types of ignition wires. A true ignition comes on with the key and stays hot while the starter cranking to for items like the fuel pump, ecu, critical items. A regular ignition is what you find behind your radio that will turn off while the starter cranks.
IMG_20160909_165006.jpg

IMG_20160909_164916750.jpg

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
ttocs said:
A true ignition comes on with the key and stays hot while the starter cranking to for items like the fuel pump, ecu, critical items.

That is exactly what I need to find

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
is it just to power/signal the new ecu or is it needed to drive something like a fuel pump/high current?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
looking over all of those I am surprised that there is not a true ignition listed for it. I will go to the ignition harness myself as there is probably a wire closer but digging through my book its hard to tell where the wires are. Its listed as tan/white at the ignition harness. Be sure to solder since it is critical wiring for the car.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
looking over all of those I am surprised that there is not a true ignition listed for it. I will go to the ignition harness myself as there is probably a wire closer but digging through my book its hard to tell where the wires are. Its listed as tan/white at the ignition harness. Be sure to solder since it is critical wiring for the car.

Thanks for the help, Scott. Each splice I'm making has been properly soldered and has heat shrink over it.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Current project status:

86D951CB-50E6-4035-BCFB-A7E9CA9BA4CD_zpss5zrg93o.jpg

Test fitting for ecu location but I think it's going in the dash:

24CD127E-B8A8-4E44-86CC-AA31C00370B7_zpsej94yeuq.jpg

Such a mess:

13E75209-A3C3-492E-8387-4FEFFFE1F6DB_zpsxcrfqvdo.jpg

Magic

Reaction score
Whats the price point to a set up like this?

Would like to see how it compares to plug and play standalone systems. (ie. Pro M, HALTECH, etc).

95Opal347

Reaction score
This is quite the setup, Chops. I just installed some new component speakers, and an amp under the passenger seat, carefully tucking all the wires beneath the carpet. I was proud of myself until I saw this wiring project. I don't think I'm ready to make this far of a leap but I sure would love to do a total engine harness rewire/tuck job to clean it up.

This new EMI is to going rocket the Unicorn into another magical universe. I stoked to see the final result, just like the rest of the board.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
[MENTION=21409]95Opal347[/MENTION] - I've been meaning to install a TON of stuff for the last few years but, as you know, didn't have a favorable work space. You recently repaired some wiring under the hood of Opal and it inspired me to start this process. It's going to take me some time to "get it right" but time is all we have!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
is this the same opal? I mean I thought the last I saw the only wire left for him to delete under the hood was the throttle cable itself?

Been wondering how this install was going I am hella curious as my tuning issues have been bugging me. Yet this is another price I hoped not to spend till later....

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Scott, I had my remaining two wisdom teeth (lower & they were impacted) cut out last Thursday and have been pretty much hating life ever since. Paid that mother ****er good money to torture the **** out of me. I'll hopefully pick back on this over the weekend but I have a few honey-do's to accomplish first.

is this the same opal? I mean I thought the last I saw the only wire left for him to delete under the hood was the throttle cable itself

Haha, you're thinking of 95opal with his insane-o engine compartment! 95Opal347 is a personal friend of mine and has been my wife's friend for idk, 15...20 years or so? She bought her '95 GTS from flamesarewicked so he could buy his Mystic Cobra.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have been looking into this further and after discovered that you can buy a tablet for a LOT less they their specific touchscreen gauge display and have all the same options and then some. No need to spend $700 on it when you can get more for less.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I have been looking into this further and after discovered that you can buy a tablet for a LOT less they their specific touchscreen gauge display and have all the same options and then some. No need to spend $700 on it when you can get more for less.

I follow your logic and agree there's always a better way. The plans for my build had included a custom, Florida 5.0 cluster with Autometer Nexus gauges. Have you ever priced those? I have, and I came out decidedly cheaper and cooler.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am going to move my plx designs gauges next to the tablet I will mount there. I also have a line on a guy that can make some really cool back lit displays if your interested. So rather then just an led flashing for turn signals it could light up an arrow for example.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I am going to move my plx designs gauges next to the tablet I will mount there. I also have a line on a guy that can make some really cool back lit displays if your interested. So rather then just an led flashing for turn signals it could light up an arrow for example.

That would be cool! I'm intrigued for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online