My project for all you khed's

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
I figured I would toss up my project for everyone to see. It should be done after I buy a lund tune/tuner from lethal on the 20th and a VRS ORX here in the coming week. Otherwise it's done.

The car started out your everyday black on black leather 98 cobra. Someone had taken care of it for a long time but it fell into a state of disrepair somewhere in between me and the majority of its life owner. The guy I bought it from did a lot as well but ultimately gave up. I have more tools, time, and patience so I bought it and love it. Anyway, bought it like this

photo.jpg

Disliked the hood and the four wheel drive stance. Did the best I could and got it to this.
IMG_20111017_184924.jpg

I was planning on suspension work and more stuff after getting the windows tinted and putting a set of new dunlops on the rear. Car was immediately a ton nicer to drive. But alas all good things must come to an end and it popped both headgaskets. No coolant in the oil but the thing had some massive cooling system pressure. Ultimately found two tunnels that the coolant ran straight into the rear two driver cylinders. So the motor came out.

IMG_0668.jpg

It was nasty, as you can clearly see. Unattended engine bay leaks and time hadn't played fair with the car. I pressure washed and cleaned the bay. Added new 04 termi control arms, bilstein HD's, MM CC plates, and MM solid rack bushing set.

IMG_0669.jpg

Mustang12.jpg

From there I messed around with multiple projects. I bought an entire MMR shortblock set Manleys and H beams brand new. Ended up deciding against doing that and an eaton swap as it became to expensive to fast.

Eventually I picked up an 01 longblock off corral from a fellow in NC. Pulled it apart, had it rebuilt, threw on a set of 99 heads and cams with low low mileage I've had stowed away, and new timing components. New Ford racing oil pump to go along with it all. I also added an aluminum flywheel and 39# ev6 injectors to prepare for procharger in the future. I took the time to have everything vatted and cleaned. I also went COP swap however I wired the harness into my stock one. It came out very crisp and clean.

Mid way in the project

486195_10151530306694676_361981172_n.jpg

In the car, majority of it done.

Cheadswap.jpg

This is semi where I sit now. I went and put all new battery cables on the car, all new wiring etc. I wanted it to be right so I went over all the harnesses. Anywho I'm just waiting on parts to come in but everything is procured pretty much. Start up vids will show up by new years I hope ;-) Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Marvin97

Reaction score
Awesome build up Steven, I personally love my C-headed 4v. Sadly its down like yours at the moment, but not nearly as close to running again as yours.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Mine too is down, but it's only a 2v. I'd love to do a 4v swap BUT it's too pricey. My man it's lookin really really good. The engine bay before and after really shocked me I'm not even kidding I thought you painted it lol. Hope to see some progress and vids soon!

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Haha thanks guys. It's my girl. It's not perfect, but it's my girl. I'm going to order the VRS here tonight. Pretty excited. Wrapping this stuff up!

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
that was I believe a 3 or 4. It was to large for me and I love the cat eye hood so I wasn't really into it.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice man . What a difference fresh paint in the engine bay makes.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Of course it's going on the rollers! And Musturd I didn't paint the bay lol

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
300-320ish. Depends on what I do but if I go procharged I'll jump to longtubes. If I go turbo then obviously headers become a moot point. As is the car will be pretty reserved. Just have to see how spot on lund can get the tune.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks! I ordered the ORX from VRS earlier and the injector adapters from Ford racing as well. Now I'm down to tuning and fluids. Crappy part is my rear axle leaks like a siv so I'm going to need to patch it up before I can really drive it.

96gtsleeper

Reaction score
looking good, keep us posted bro. loved how clean the engine bay came out. awesome work must have taken you hours.

ProKiller

Reaction score
lund will be able to dial that thing in pretty well. looking forward to seeing this thing out on the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.