N/A 96-98 Cobra?

blake_colvin

Reaction score
Okay guys im new to the 4V thing but im not a dumbass but i still have some thoughts..

i was mainly wondering how much rwhp a 96-98 cobra could make with lt's, o/r H or X pipe, and a good cam..

and is there any intake manifolds out there that will do anything for the 96-98 cobra? and if so how much power from lt's off raod h pipe x pipe and cams and intake

and then how much from ported polished valve job heads with cams and intake along with the full exhaust?

Basically what is a 96-98 cobra capable of as in rwhp without going into the bottom end..?

oemracing

Reaction score
w or w/o nos?
was quoted 1400 for a port and polish on my 96. but the total bill would been 2700-3200. read a little on my busted head gasket repair thread. still not done with just a head gasket swap.
cams are 1500-1600 a set just cams not a cam set.
no real dohc intake in the aftermarket world that I have run across. inless ur talking cold air intake- 80-125
seen the number 350-380 frequintley used for lt's, exhaust, tune.
if u take the heads off take the engine out from the bottom. The engine is out do a rebuild with some type of forged pistons and rods.
The blocks are in my opinion with no real hard facts to stand behind me since I am newish to the mod motors- I am a turbo import mainly, around the 800 hp mark. Yet some say the 900-1000 mark, I overbuild everything so would look at a different block once my goal would be 700 because I would push it for 800, and with 800 hp in a 4.6 (or stroked out 4.6 to be a 5.1) your producing monster torque.
Hope this helps.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
cam + LT + tune you're going to be around 320whp
the only viable intake is a na svt ported shortrunner, run you about 900 with IMRC deletes. 350whp
porting the heads on a B headed car is a waste of time. as is all that work.

in fact, all the above work you're into the car $3000 with the other bolt ons. totally not worth it compared to just doing an S trim and making 425+ whp before you even need to start thinking about the bottom end.

OP
OP
B

blake_colvin

Reaction score
well you see my car has is procharged now with the p600b lol but at like 6800rpms it makes 450whp..

i was just wondering what a n/a 4.6 cobra could do without touching the block the numbers you quoted me was what i was thinking they should be but i still wonder if with good heads and cam with full exhaust as in lt's and off road h/r pipe if you could make 350whp+

i know its cheaper to go blower but to someone that doesnt have all that money up front and can only aford a couple grand at a time..

theres just no where that talks about a n/a 4.6 cobra and i wanted to kinda help out with starting this thread

95PGTTech

Reaction score
look into the mach guys on mach1registry...lots of them are really into staying N/A and it's essentially the same motor, albeit a few differences.

heads don't help very much on B headed cars, they already flow too much to begin with. My $3000 quote was WITHOUT heads. Most places will quote you 20+ hours (fairly!) just to do the cams.

OP
OP
B

blake_colvin

Reaction score
True but im not too worried about labor as ill end up doing the hard work myself lol

ive heard that if you p&p and do a good valve angle job on B heads that you could actually pull some good flow numbers out of them..

but in reality a good setup would be cams, termi heads, mach intake with lt's and full exhaust could prob turn 350+whp
and the only thing youd be paying alot of money for is the cams and valvetrain

95PGTTech

Reaction score
terminator heads are by no means cheap these days, especially the higher count thread heads and the newer ones with the cooling stamp/color. yes, I agree that setup would be in the ballpark of 350whp. it depends a lot upon the tune, the cam spec, and where the cam is degreed.

OP
OP
B

blake_colvin

Reaction score
That is true as well.. im surprised were the only ones who even care to make a statement for whoever in the future that wants to do a n/a cobra or whatever lol

but anyway like i said ive heard b heads could be ported and polished and come out purty decent but prob for the money you have in them you might as well get c heads or something

95PGTTech

Reaction score
I picked up my bare 01 heads for $200. $400 valve job and reused all my stock 98 stuff.

lots of talkers and thinkers on this forum.
doers are in short order, for one lame excuse or another.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Doers of 4v mod engines are hard to come by because they are quite expensive to build. I will do mine when it is tired enough to be done.

$1400-$1600 just for cams is a bit pricey to do just because.

OP
OP
B

blake_colvin

Reaction score
cams are pricey for what 15-25whp but if your going to spend the money on some heads then spend it on cams and depending on what you have in your car already which if you bought it now it would be around 8k and then throw another 5k in it with smarts mods and alot of searching for the right parts for 13-15k you could have a 350+rwhp n/a cobra

its just sad no one had tryed any real head and cam combos witout forced induction..

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
When I do my engine I will stick with the "B" heads. They flow great, I will use the IMRC deletes you just need to be able to support the unrestricted flow with supporting mods.

The only problem with the "B" heads is you can not install the Eaton on top. You need a Vortech, Paxton, or Pro-Charger. The Eaton swap is not worth doing on our cars unless you swap an entire engine into the car. By the time you are done with it you have spent enough money to do it.

You will get bigger gains than 15-25 rwhp out of cams. If not, it is not worth doing.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
It depends on the cam profile you go with. The SHM Stage 1s for example, are going to be 15rwhp at most. You can make big gains with cams on modular motors if you're willing to have a lope/driveability.

OP
OP
B

blake_colvin

Reaction score
Yea the biggest cams ive seen were .400 and .475 i believe and thats a stage 2 n/a cam.. which i would guestimate a good 25whp from
and prob 30-40whp on a nitrous cam in a n/a car

i think you could get by with stage 1 nitrous/blower cams if you have supporting mods and well with port and polished b heads and a full exhaust with imrc deltes in the intake you shouldnt have and driving issues just a lopy idle

psucobra96

Reaction score
With longtubes, off raod h, c&l intake, homemade IMRC delelte, and NA SVT shortrunner I put down 313.75 rwhp and 294.5 torque, the torque was never below 250 and the car made over 300 rwhp after 5500 rpm

edit: I may also be adding underdrive pulleys which should free up a few horsepower, next cluth change I will also add an aluminum flywheel

OP
OP
B

blake_colvin

Reaction score
^ wow thats really good.. with a head job and cams you should be around 400+ which is really really good..

i was thinking youd need cams to pull those numbers.. please post up dyno sheets with supporting mods if you have any

im sure alot of people would appreciate this

psucobra96

Reaction score
sorry it was 313.75 not 331 lol, I fixed the typo...I wish it was 331, but if I got cams I would think I could pull that and some more

95PGTTech

Reaction score
psucobra96 said:
sorry it was 313.75 not 331 lol, I fixed the typo...I wish it was 331, but if I got cams I would think I could pull that and some more

I was wondering what was wrong with me. I made 331rwhp with every bolt on known to man on VP103 on an absolute on-the-edge kill tune (Mustang Dyno).

LTs
O/R X
2 1/4" Borla side exhaust - yes, I know, killed it...on pump gas on a street tune we unbolted the catback and went from 302rwhp to 307rwhp
na svt shortrunner intake (2", ported, smoothed)
na svt IMRC deletes
e-water pump
march dampener
lightweight clutch, flywheel, driveshaft
JLT fenderwell CAI
accufab tb

other not important:
NGK TR6
90mm LMAF
Focus pump
stock injectors
terminator valve covers, coil on plug
SAI deleted
EGR deleted
arguable---canton windage tray
motor was stock longblock

later added cats to the street tune, went down to 301rwhp. street tune was 93 octane, not pushing it at all. street tune and race tune done on a day measured 101 degrees in dyno room and 80% humidity, so maybe 1-2 rwhp more in some good weather?

going back shortly with much of the same stuff but 2001 heads unported, just a new valve job, new rings (found #8 down to 140psi compression), bearings etc but otherwise stock internally just cleaned up, 98 cams degree'd in, 2001 intake and throttle body stock for now. hoping to be around 310rwhp on the street tune, I don't race enough anymore to justify the hours we spent draining the tank and filling it with race fuel, pull after pull after pull and keeping it on the ragged edge.

OP
OP
B

blake_colvin

Reaction score
keep us posted as to what it puts down with those heads..

and while your in there you might as well do some porting and polishing as the heads pick up in mid range over our 96-98 b heads but the 03 04 cobra heads stay about the same as 01's untill top end and they pick up even more so im sure if you ported and polished the 01 heads you could prob pull 320-325whp on pump.. and porb not but could be possible 350whp in there on pump

everything i know and do is on pump gas as to me being procharged if i put race gas in my car it would prob blow up considering id be pushing 500 or so whp lol and our blocks only good to about 450 or so whp and the fact that i daily drive my car

95PGTTech

Reaction score
I had considered it, but it won't be long before I LSx swap. I hurt #8 and I simply went through the motor and trans with a stock-type rebuild. Just enough so that when I swap, hopefully I can find someone that wants to buy my refreshed motor/trans/driveshaft/wiring/ECU as a package, like a restomod swap or a Fox Body swap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online