Need Help Installing Springs

Vettn71

Reaction score
I've done a search, here and other forums and haven't had any luck. I'm trying to reinstall my stock front springs into my 95 GT. Everything I can find is installing lowering springs, which are shorter. I rented an internal spring compressor from O'Riely's, but can't get it up into the spring through the A-arm. Since it has a flat end on it, it can't go on the bottom of the spring or I couldn't get it out. I've tried various methods, but they are either waaay risky or I'm just not holding my mouth right. I'm hoping one of the members here can give me some guidance on getting this thing in so I can continue my build thread. I'd like to drive this thing again, also. Here's the Moog A-arms I'm installing. They come with the bushings and ball joint pre-installed for about $15 a side more than just the parts at Rock Auto. That's a pretty good deal and saved me about 3 hours of grief.

TIA

Jim

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Ive never messed with stock springs but the way I do it is to disconnect everything from the a arm then have someone else stand on the end of it to press it down while I slide the spring in. Again this was used for lowering springs so there may not be enough room. What ways have you tried?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
hmmm I've never heard of anyone putting stock springs back in. As far as spring compressors you'd definitely need the outside ones, if there is enough room for that is anyone's guess.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
hmmm I've never heard of anyone putting stock springs back in. As far as spring compressors you'd definitely need the outside ones, if there is enough room for that is anyone's guess.

Barely any room. when I did my springs (fronts weren't that much shorter than stock) it took me standing on the control arm to the floor, and my friend trying to wrestle them in. Didn't work so we switched and I forced it in eventually. Was a ***** to do. Definitely need the outside compressor. You won't be able to compress the spring from top and bottom because it'll (sc) hit the a arm and mount up top. Gotta mess with it and mount it closer to the middle on both ends. Next mustang I get will be lower so I won't have that headache lol

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
what about unbolting the control arm, placing the spring on it and then using a jack to lift it up into place? seems risky but I feel like I've heard of people doing that. Imo cut a coil off the stock springs and call it a day.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
what about unbolting the control arm, placing the spring on it and then using a jack to lift it up into place? seems risky but I feel like I've heard of people doing that. Imo cut a coil off the stock springs and call it a day.

Did this when I took the lowering springs out of my old s10. It's not fun and it's difficult to line it up but it does compress the spring and make it possible

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Just dangerous. If that control arm slips or the spring does, make sure your not near that spring.

Slipperman

Reaction score
I'll be re-assembling my front end soon and have been giving this some thought:
I believe a spring compressor will be in the way when attempting to fit the spring.
So how about compressing the spring maybe an inch or two. Then secure it with a few wraps of heavy cord leaving the top and bottom winds free.
Once the spring is in place and all the bolts are secure, lower the car and cut the cord.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was able to install my H&R Race Springs using this tool from MM - it works fantastic. IIRC, I didn't use spring compressors at all.I just pryed the arm arm down, put the spring in place lining it up with the tool, and jacking the control arm back up. Easy peasy.

I'm pretty sure I took some pics back when I did it, cause I was like "dang this is easy, I need to take some pics or something." Let me see if I can dig them up...

Edit: Okay, I guess only took the one. Maybe I was only quasi-excited. Anyway, here's a pic of the tool installed in the a-arm:

DSCF0919.jpg

Basically, you just set the spring in there, putting it over the tool, and then move the arm up and put the top of the spring in it's perch. The spring won't fit all the way of course because it's not compressed - it's just almost in but not quite. When you start jacking the control arm, the tool forces the spring to seat properly.

This worked for me without compressors on H&R Race Springs which are a bit shorter than stockers. Any spring shorter than stockers will probably go in without a compressor. If you have stockers, you might need a compressor, but you shouldn't have to compress too much.

The tool is worth the money IMO (it's like $15), even if you are doing the job once. I ended up bundling my tool in with the H&R Race springs when I sold them so that guy didn't have to struggle with the install.

Edit Edit: here's a link to the PDF install directions from MM showing how crazy easy it is to install springs with this tool.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I tried jacking it up with the control arm bolts out, but that baby started to push the jack out, even with the chocks I had under the wheels of the jack. I thought about pre-compressing the springs, but not sure how that would happen. A ratcheting strap might possible work, but you better eat your Wheaties before taking it on. I also tried to put it in the control arm, then force it into the upper pocket using a pry bar. That did not end well. The Maximum Motor Sports spring tool is cool, but they state it cannot be used for stock springs, because they are too long. As much as I hated to hit my credit card (again) I ordered Eibach 3530.140 springs last night. I'll keep the stock springs just in case I don't like them, but right now I've got a three-legged dog that can't hunt. I need to get this thing on the road again, so this seemed like the only way I was going to do it. I'm just not going to buy a $300 tool to get these springs in. At least I get a set for $224 through DiscountDirect (on eBay) with free shipping. I don't think I'll need camber plates for these, as its a 1.3" drop. We'll see. Again, thanks for the great replies. Nice to know people are willing to help

Jim

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I still highly recommend you get the MM tool. It will make your life easier with the springs, even the new Eibach's you got.

turion94

Reaction score
I've done a search, here and other forums and haven't had any luck. I'm trying to reinstall my stock front springs into my 95 GT. Everything I can find is installing lowering springs, which are shorter. I rented an internal spring compressor from O'Riely's, but can't get it up into the spring through the A-arm. Since it has a flat end on it, it can't go on the bottom of the spring or I couldn't get it out. I've tried various methods, but they are either waaay risky or I'm just not holding my mouth right. I'm hoping one of the members here can give me some guidance on getting this thing in so I can continue my build thread. I'd like to drive this thing again, also. Here's the Moog A-arms I'm installing. They come with the bushings and ball joint pre-installed for about $15 a side more than just the parts at Rock Auto. That's a pretty good deal and saved me about 3 hours of grief.

TIA

Jim

LMR has a detailed video on how to install coil springs. The method they used should work good for stock springs.

[video=youtube_share;UIriXEEN3X4]http://youtu.be/UIriXEEN3X4[/video]

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
The spring compressor I've always used come from Autozone and has 4 legs that pivot independently of each other. I've used this method on my old S-10's numerous time with great success. Plus you can rent it for like $60. Just FYI.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not even renting it, you just deposit then get it all back when you return it.

However, I still think you could swing it without a compressor if you jack the car up high enough and don't put anything on the control arm, and let it swing down as absolutely low as possible. IE you need to have the car high enough the arm could be totally vertical.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online