devvy

Reaction score
Currently my 95 Gt Vert is on all stock suspension. Fitment is pretty horrendous and it feels like a wagon over any bumps, I’m tired of it. I am on a somewhat tight budget, hoping to spend less than $1000. Coilovers would be cool but I don’t want to cheap out on them and a good set looks to be at least $1500 before tax and other mods.

The plan as of right now is to go with Eibach Pro-Damper kit (3514.840) along with the Eibach Pro kit springs (3530.140). With a discount I can get that would total out to about $920.

A concern I face is the springs say they will drop the car 1-1.4 inches, and I think I’d like to go a little lower than that. I have long tube headers and the catalytic converter shields on my BBK X-pipe do scrape on some speed bumps but hey they’re shielded for a reason, should be fine? So, I’ve been unable to find what spring rate the shocks are valved for, and I’ve also been unable to find the spring rate for the springs. Would there be an issue if I switched the springs out for something else?

Or, does anyone have recommendations on other brands or kits within this $1000 budget that would be a better bang for my buck? Are CC plates necessary? Thanks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if ya want the coil overs take a little time to save the extra $$$ and get what you want. From what I have found when you settle, if you are lucky you sell the car before the "What if" question drives you crazy enough to go get a good set. It took me a while to save up for my air ride but in the end I have not regretted it at all. At least since writting the check that was one that hurt a little, having to write small....

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Do you want to improve ride quality, performance, or how the car looks? With a stock-style spring setup, these cars handle better when they sit higher than most people think looks cool. In general, progressive springs are better for ride quality but not the best option for performance driving. Lowering the car too much will require CC plates and make the car handle worse at the limit. Many aftermarket non-adjustable performance shock & strut kits are stiffer than stock. Going too stiff will make the car handle worse when pushed.

If you're looking to improve handling on a budget, there are better ways to spend $1,000. How do you plan to use the car?

badass98svt

Reaction score
The H&R SS springs give a great drop, and a nice ride.

OP
OP
D

devvy

Reaction score
Do you want to improve ride quality, performance, or how the car looks? With a stock-style spring setup, these cars handle better when they sit higher than most people think looks cool. In general, progressive springs are better for ride quality but not the best option for performance driving. Lowering the car too much will require CC plates and make the car handle worse at the limit. Many aftermarket non-adjustable performance shock & strut kits are stiffer than stock. Going too stiff will make the car handle worse when pushed.

If you're looking to improve handling on a budget, there are better ways to spend $1,000. How do you plan to use the car?
Currently it’s my daily driver and it’ll be my daily for a while but eventually it’ll be a weekend car, maybe go to the track once in a while. I would generally like to improve all 3, more so focused on ride quality and having it look a little better, since right now it looks like a 4x4…

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Currently it’s my daily driver and it’ll be my daily for a while but eventually it’ll be a weekend car, maybe go to the track once in a while. I would generally like to improve all 3, more so focused on ride quality and having it look a little better, since right now it looks like a 4x4…
Trying to improve all 3 means making some compromises. You will have to decide which compromises you can live with. And you have to be cautious when it comes to how aftermarket suspension parts are advertised. Most of the time, aftermarket companies don't differentiate between street, autocross, or track applications. They just say, "These parts improve handling without sacrificing ride quality." How much they improve handling can vary. And because suspension is a system, your other mods make a big difference. In addition to ride quality and looks, you are moving the limit of traction further in or out with your mods. A super-low, super-stiff car might feel great on the street, but it will have a tendency to understeer or oversteer when driven aggressively.

I'm a big fan of adjustable shocks & struts. They allow you to get the handling closer to neutral, and to compensate for future mods. You can also easily adjust the ride quality. I haven't personally used KYB AGX shocks & struts, but I recommended them for the Humble Mechanic Mustang build, and I was impressed with their performance. They are a relatively inexpensive way to get some adjustability in your suspension.

Going with progressive rate springs would be better for your application, but you will be waiting a little bit for front of the car to "plant" when you're using the car for performance driving. You can drive around that issue. I don't daily-drive my SN95 Mustangs, but I wouldn't go lower than a 1.25" drop for a street car. Lower springs are often stiffer, which means ride quality/handling can suffer.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I would settle on your entire parts list before ordering anything because the pro-kit shocks likely won't handle anything stiffer than the pro-kit springs. Rockauto.com also has Bilstiens for $599 (same as the prokit) and you can use the 5% discount code ( 257322452229880220 good to march 1st) to knock that down to $570. Just gotta factor in shipping. But those will handle a stiffer spring. How much? Depends

I run the Eibach Pro-kit on my Sn95 with Bilstiens. Front he short drives i've done, it's a little bit firmer than stock but not bad. You really feel it over broken road, but it handles well. Drop was 1" overall, which is fine with me. I semi-daily driver the car and I don't want it firm to the point I no longer enjoy it, which is what I enjoy.

My Fox has MM coil-overs on Bilstiens. I also ride on 18" wheels (SN95 has 17's) and the ride is much nicer in comparison. The downside is cost. The MM coil-over package is over $2K.

OP
OP
D

devvy

Reaction score
I would settle on your entire parts list before ordering anything because the pro-kit shocks likely won't handle anything stiffer than the pro-kit springs. Rockauto.com also has Bilstiens for $599 (same as the prokit) and you can use the 5% discount code ( 257322452229880220 good to march 1st) to knock that down to $570. Just gotta factor in shipping. But those will handle a stiffer spring. How much? Depends

I run the Eibach Pro-kit on my Sn95 with Bilstiens. Front he short drives i've done, it's a little bit firmer than stock but not bad. You really feel it over broken road, but it handles well. Drop was 1" overall, which is fine with me. I semi-daily driver the car and I don't want it firm to the point I no longer enjoy it, which is what I enjoy.

My Fox has MM coil-overs on Bilstiens. I also ride on 18" wheels (SN95 has 17's) and the ride is much nicer in comparison. The downside is cost. The MM coil-over package is over $2K.
1710739780425.png
After further research and using the suspension guide on this site, I've decided this is probably my best option. BUT! Subtotal: $1,352.94. BC Coilovers + CC plates is about $1500. Should I just go with this or save up a little extra and buy a coilover kit? I've decided I'm going for around a 1.5" drop, focused more on comfortability and good handling, as looks will come with a better set of wheels :D:D.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Don't forget a set of MM solid steering rack bushings. They make a huge difference.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
After further research and using the suspension guide on this site, I've decided this is probably my best option. BUT! Subtotal: $1,352.94. BC Coilovers + CC plates is about $1500. Should I just go with this or save up a little extra and buy a coilover kit? I've decided I'm going for around a 1.5" drop, focused more on comfortability and good handling, as looks will come with a better set of wheels :D:D.

Really it's your decision to make. I don;t know anything about BC coil-overs so I can't comment on ride, NVH, sounds, etc.

I have put about 50-60 miles on my Bilstiens plus Eibach pro-kit and absolutely love this setup. Drop is about 3/4"-1" on poly isolators (could get more if removed) but the ride comfort is awesome. Only a little firmer than stock but it takes bumps very well. It only gets harsh over very broken road but so does my MM coil-over equipped car.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
View attachment 33448
This is listed in the description for the Super Sport Springs on the MM page:

Super Sport springs

Aggressive, very low stance. These springs will slam your Mustang for appearance, but lower than is desirable for optimum handling. Expect compromised ride quality because extreme lowering increases frequency of hitting the bumpstops.

If you are looking for ride quality and good handling, there are better options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online