Need help on a blower

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
do it - you'll be happy.

you'll have that straight(ish) torque line, can't beat that for fun-on-street.
plus it comes with all the stuff you'll need including a deicent tune.

considering your engine is going to limit you to the low 400 neighborhood,
wouldn't you rather have 400 HP for most of your rpm range?
Cant get that with a centrifical.

(I haven't seen a complete turbo kit (including tune) for less than 5800, on the modulars.

If KB would have had they're kit out for Gt's and PI swapped 2V's sooner, I would have had one
4 years ago.... but they didn't so I picked the harder rought, and am going turbo's and shortblock,
It just cost's a bit more.... (sigh)

Peter

Reaction score
NITROUSINJECTED said:
true theere is very little boost lag on a kb over a procharger

there is no boost lag on the KB and its got full boost off idle pretty much centerfugals will hit peak (depending on setup ect) at probly 3000 or so RPM

OP
OP

97 SVT Cobra

Reaction score
Peter said:
yah but for 4300 you could get a nice turbo kit aswell

Hey Peter, what kit are you referring to?

Thanks guys for your input, I might be leaning to turbos now, just gotta check out the funds :banana:

Julian Moore

Reaction score
Most turbo kits in that $3400 price range don't include the turbos. I would go with a KB, I love them, great low end torque but very exspensive. I went with a vortech, as they are ded reliable...and when you change your blower pulleys you can still make a ton of boost. If this is for amodular Cobra, my friend has a 98 Cobra, with nothing but a Vortech SQ on it and he makes 450 rwhp. Not bad!

OP
OP

97 SVT Cobra

Reaction score
Julian Moore said:
Most turbo kits in that $3400 price range don't include the turbos. I would go with a KB, I love them, great low end torque but very exspensive. I went with a vortech, as they are ded reliable...and when you change your blower pulleys you can still make a ton of boost. If this is for amodular Cobra, my friend has a 98 Cobra, with nothing but a Vortech SQ on it and he makes 450 rwhp. Not bad!

Yep its a mod motor... I have thought about getting a vortech. I would like to have about 450 so I might rethink now. :banana:

94twinscrew

Reaction score
I think that if you have a hard time parting with the extra cash for the intercooled setup,then you might want to look on ebay,or other classifieds for something that will still suit your future goals. There are a lot of centri's that will get you where you want to be just as easy,and for far less money......and this is coming from a kb guy. But you are correct,you'll never get the same throttle response with a centri or turbo,kb has that hands down....and I've gone down the turbo road myself,and just got sick of constantly wrenching on the car.

......and sound wise.......well everyone knows how they sing ;)

wopony98

Reaction score
Well I also have been looking at the blower route. I considered the Turbo but with the cost I spent in labor alone on my headers I would hate to see what they will charge me to put on a turbo. :nonono: I like the Vortech over the Procharger as the Vortech has reliability, and complete kit. Saw this girl out of Austin who runs with SVTOA there and had her Dyno sheet on her black 97 Cobra pushing 528rwhp with only a Vortech SQ1 and her only mod was the mid pipe on her exhaust??? I was floored... :eek: So I looked under the car, inside the car and around the engine. She was right. Now don't get me wrong that is more than 200rwhp gain! No inter-cooler nothing not a damn thing.... I am sold! Everyone I know with the Vortech love them. They love the reliability and performance. This is what I want in my car. I know i will be extremely happy if I have this type of performance and numbers. I also have a fully modded car. I am sure I will see 500rwhp. In talking with Steeda their techs seem to feel the same. If I blow the engine I blow the engine. Just more reason to put a new one in.... LOL Good luck with your decision.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
wopony98 said:
Well I also have been looking at the blower route. I considered the Turbo but with the cost I spent in labor alone on my headers I would hate to see what they will charge me to put on a turbo. :nonono: I like the Vortech over the Procharger as the Vortech has reliability, and complete kit. Saw this girl out of Austin who runs with SVTOA there and had her Dyno sheet on her black 97 Cobra pushing 528rwhp with only a Vortech SQ1 and her only mod was the mid pipe on her exhaust??? I was floored... :eek: So I looked under the car, inside the car and around the engine. She was right. Now don't get me wrong that is more than 200rwhp gain! No inter-cooler nothing not a damn thing.... I am sold! Everyone I know with the Vortech love them. They love the reliability and performance. This is what I want in my car. I know i will be extremely happy if I have this type of performance and numbers. I also have a fully modded car. I am sure I will see 500rwhp. In talking with Steeda their techs seem to feel the same. If I blow the engine I blow the engine. Just more reason to put a new one in.... LOL Good luck with your decision.

Not to be negative, but there must be more to it than you know.
there's no way that's coming from a non intercooled stocker with exhaust...

I agree with the above comments about vortec, they're very reliable, and they have great customer support.
Any blower is a big improvement.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
ya i dont think there is anyway you can get that big of numbers just slapping on a vortech onto a stock motor.

wopony98

Reaction score
Guys I totally agree.... I have been doing this car build up stuff for 15yrs and 220+ rwhp is astronomical numbers. I know by Vortech's page alone they claim I will see 450rwhp on a stock Cobra. We all know that exhaust alone on a car will pull 30+ rwhp on a NA Cobra. I am going to have to just buy the damn thing and see for myself. I will go to her tuner which has a good rep in Austin and see what numbers I get. I am nervous as anything over 500 on my Cobra's Stock Engine is going to be dangerous without forging the engine. Oh well drive it until you blow it! Then spend on a better engine.... LOL

OP
OP

97 SVT Cobra

Reaction score
Update:

I went with the Hp twin 57mm turbo kit over the supercharger. I installed this setup with a couple of friends of mine. Ford builder is doing a build up in their magazine with my install. I just got my tune on wednesday and I am very happy with the numbers that it put down. The motor is 100% stock except for 42lbs injectors. This is on 8psi and 13* of timing. It put down 502 RWHP and 475RWTQ. Tim @ Modular PowerHouse did the tuning and it runs like a bitch. If anyone is debating between turbos and supercharger, go turbos. It drives like it did stock and when you want 500 hp just put it to the floor. Here is a couple of links to my post at MPH.
http://modularpowerhouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38025

http://www.modularpowerhouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37051&page=2

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
nice numbers i will be goin turbo route myself this winter cant wait

OP
OP

97 SVT Cobra

Reaction score
SvtBlack95 said:
nice numbers i will be goin turbo route myself this winter cant wait

Thanks... You will love the turbos!! :banana: Good luck with it.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
i will hopefully be going turbo this winter too. Money will be tight. Maybe i should start buying lotto tickets a win a couple million :-\

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The HP is a pertty nice kit, I was planning on it for some time.

It has a few issues, and they have had terrable quality issues for the last year.

When you do it, I expect to see a build thread!!

blwncobra

Reaction score
I would go Vortech, I have had one for over 5 years and 90,000 miles at 9 psi with stock internals and a good tune. Not a single problem except at 80,000 miles I had to have the seals redone in the head unit.
It has been so reliable that I added another 4 psi to it last year 8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online