New brakes squishy after several bleeds

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Thank you! I wasn't sure if it could just be any copper washer that'll fit or if it has to say "crush washer" specifically because they're softer or something. I ended up ordering a box of like 9 different sizes yesterday, but if i can just go to a hardware store and buy a handful of regular ole' copper washers tomorrow, I'll do that instead. Thank you, again. This forum is awesome, and all of you are great, it's very appreciated.
Normally, you can go to a parts store and get a caliper hardware kit. It will come with the banjo bolts and copper washers. But a generic copper washer in an assorted kit should work just fine.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I bought these off McMaster-Carr. I do enough brake work that I run through these like crazy so bulk for me is cheaper. Obviously if you only plan on doing this once the set at the parts store will be fine and cheaper. These use M10 banjos.

Part number: 97725A540

1717077694930.png

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Welcome, but you don't want them hella thick. Maybe 1mm or 2mm at most.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
They are 1.3-1.7mm thick.

They are identical to what comes in those HELP! package you get at the parts store...just in bulk.

Rod

Reaction score
I just put new calipers, rotors, and pads on the front, bled all four, and I have done that 3 times and the master cylinder twice. Last time I did, the pedal felt pretty good, I woke up this morning, and it's back to feeling a little long and squishy. I can push it all the way to the floor with some effort. It doesn't feel dangerous to drive or anything, just doesn't feel "right" and it's bothering me. Any ideas? Faulty calipers or are hidden pockets of air surfacing after driving for a while?
I would replace the master. During the bleeding process the pedal is being pushed past the point it ever was while braking. This means the seals were being pushed past any corrosion in the bore. This can/will compromise the seals allowing brake fluid to bypass internally and/or the rear seal.

Connie

Reaction score
I just put new calipers, rotors, and pads on the front, bled all four, and I have done that 3 times and the master cylinder twice. Last time I did, the pedal felt pretty good, I woke up this morning, and it's back to feeling a little long and squishy. I can push it all the way to the floor with some effort. It doesn't feel dangerous to drive or anything, just doesn't feel "right" and it's bothering me. Any ideas? Faulty calipers or are hidden pockets of air surfacing after driving for a while?
Interesting you brought this issue up. I had the same problem when I broke in all 4 corners I changed out. Rotors and Pads. My wife helped me with bleeding, but I think air got into the system. Like you, the Brakes didn't seem dangerous, but felt unsure. It's been over 6 weeks and the Brakes have gotten much, much better, and I know I have no leaks anywhere. I'm driving my GT feeling more confident, but man it took a long time, plus driving VERY CAREFUL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodeblue

Members online