New Gauge Cluster replacement lens, modifying a 99-04 for use on 94-98

Art_B

Reaction score
New replacement gauge cluster lenses are not available for first gen (94-98) Mustangs. However, replacement lenses ARE available for the second gen (99-04) cars. The lens "looks" identical, and the mounting holes are the same, but my research says that the "difference/change" lies with the "Odometer Reset Button" being different. I'm not sure, but I believe in the 99-04 lens the reset button is longer and sticks out further on the back.

A website that sells replacement lenses call Carbon Driven states that the 99-04 lens can be used on a 94-98 car, but mentions this: Ford factory oem 1999-2004 XR3Z-10890-AA will fit Mustangs from 1996-1998 with minor modification to trip odometer pin on your dash gauge cluster.

https://www.carbondriven.com/product-p/cd-dashparts01.htm

However, they do not go into detail as to what "modification" needs to be done.

I was wondering if anyone on this site has done the modification and could share/explain what is involved?

Thanks,
Art

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
"with minor modification to trip odometer pin on your dash gauge cluster." is what it states needs to be done in the link you gave?

This is assuming that your lens is broken because if its just scratched up it could probably be buffed or flame polished out or at the worst wet sanded and flame polished.

OP
OP
Art_B

Art_B

Reaction score
I'd like to buy a new replacement for my '98 Mustang; and since these 99-04 lenses are readily available, I wanted to know what I'd need to do in order for it to work...

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
"with minor modification to trip odometer pin on your dash gauge cluster." is what it states needs to be done in the link you gave?

This is assuming that your lens is broken because if its just scratched up it could probably be buffed or flame polished out or at the worst wet sanded and flame polished.

Flame polish????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yup, just like it sounds.

I use to do something similar to cd’s when they had scratches. A bic lighter could work wonders on them.

Not sure how well this would work on the face of the bezel. Guess you’d just have to go slow and be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
You could always just call them and ask exactly what needs to be modified and how "minor" the modification is. Attached is a pic of my instrument cluster. It came out of a 1995 Cobra and the hole placement looks to be really close if not identical to the one pictured in the link. Maybe it's the size of the reset hole? IDK?
0325001817.jpg

najay

Reaction score
I just did this. The raised collar/spacer for the reset button shaft (on the inside) needs to be cut flush. The issue is the reset button will hold the trip in reset when installed. It is very easy to do with a small serrated knife or saw. Otherwise, the bezel is a direct and perfect fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online