New Guy Here Need Some Advice

Sidewinder

Reaction score
I just got my 95 GT. Picked it for almost nothing well OK $500 :dancing6: Problem is the engine overheats and the tranny (auto) spends more time slipping then moving. I have a Tremec WC HD T-5 sitting in my shop with a 302 bellhousing, cable, pivot, and a new clutch. So that is going into the Mustang this weekend. I already have a pedal box and flywheel coming from Midwest Mustang and a trans mount. So I am looking for someone that has done this swap to share any pitfalls with me. Will I have a problem with the computer? Does it have to be changed out for a 5 speed one or can a chip or programmer cover it? Anything else I should know about this swap that appears to be pretty straight forward. Thanks in advance. I can't wait to get her on the road. Then LET THE MODS BEGIN O0

Shawnsvtcobra

Reaction score
Welcome to the site and congrats on your stang, someone will chime in here and help you out.

Reaction score
Sidewinder said:
I just got my 95 GT. Picked it for almost nothing well OK $500 :dancing6: Problem is the engine overheats and the tranny (auto) spends more time slipping then moving. I have a Tremec WC HD T-5 sitting in my shop with a 302 bellhousing, cable, pivot, and a new clutch. So that is going into the Mustang this weekend. I already have a pedal box and flywheel coming from Midwest Mustang and a trans mount. So I am looking for someone that has done this swap to share any pitfalls with me. Will I have a problem with the computer? Does it have to be changed out for a 5 speed one or can a chip or programmer cover it? Anything else I should know about this swap that appears to be pretty straight forward. Thanks in advance. I can't wait to get her on the road. Then LET THE MODS BEGIN O0

Engine - Change the upper and lower radiator hoses, as they probably are still the original. Get the hiccups (air bubbles) out of the coolant system. Replace coolant and change thermostat to a 180.

Tranny - It is basicallya straight forward swap, everthing should bolt right in. Make sure the input shaft and the clutch mate before putting it in the car. (Past experience lol) You shouldn't have to replace the computer, but make sure the speedo gear is setup for your rearend ratio. Good luck to you man :thumb:

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
you need to do a transmission harness swap. I have a 95 gt, that came from the factory with an auto, and the guy i bought it from "swaped" it over to a 5 speed. He however did the very cheap way and instead of switching the harnesses he cut and spliced a 5 speed harness into an auto one. I had that al switched over and now it runs smooth. BTW, i live in lawrence, about 5 minutes from Midwest Mustang, and i actually worked there a little bit over the summer. small world huh?

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
the computer will throw codes for sure.

by the way, i have an freshly remanufactured 95 Cobra PCM (still under warranty). it's for a 5 sp and you'll be able to run 24LB thumpers with your stock MAF. the computer recalibrates it for you.

shoot me a PM if you are interested.

OP
OP
S

Sidewinder

Reaction score
anyone know where to buy a 5 speed harness. I am asuming a backup light and neutral safety harness? Is that right?

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
to my knowledge the back up switch and the neutral saftey switch are included in the 5 speed harness that you need. Midwest Mustang installed my TKO and swapped the harnesses for me, so i would give them a call and they can mail one out to you. I was actually just there today, looking at a Trick Flow motor....... >:D

vbr pete

Reaction score
if you can just get the connecters for the trans it's an easy wiring splice-in,only four wires

one thing you MIGHT need is a trans crossmember.the AOD-E and T5 etc put the trans mount in radically different places.the computer will typically work fine,it'll just ignore the lack of trans signals,although you MAY get a check engine light.pull said bulb and VIOLA no more problem.you'll probably have to snip the floor a bit too where the shifter pops through,usually the front needs an inch cut forward and folded under/cut off

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.