New member seeks advice - one grand to spend - suggestions

bullitt776

Reaction score
Recently purchased a very clean, one owner 1994 Gt convertable- Rio Red with black .

Car has 99,000 miles, automatic , air , cloth sport seats,etc

Since purchase I have completed a tune up [Motorsportplugs and racing 8.5 wires, MDS Blaster coil, Pcv,etc.], along with Mobile1 and a , K&N replacement filter.
Changed the original wheels to specially done 2001 GT Chromed wheels on Nitto tires.
Also installed Performance Friction front pads and Rabestos HD pads in rears along with a brake fluid exchange

Only appearance changes are 5.0 side emblem and '01 GT grill emblem.
Will post pics soon.

As you can tell I'm into getting the biggest bang for my bucks.

This is a daily driver and rarely will it be pushed hard. However I want to improve the car over stock and have a $1 k budget.

Rear gearing is 2.73 , radio is stock, engine is running beautifully but car is slow, way too Quite , and I need to improve the ride quality.

How would you spend the money ??

I'd appreciate suggestions - especially ones that don't eat up the budget on just one item.

Thanks.

94yellowgt

Reaction score
I would first off do a free mod which is to bump the timing up to about 14*. I would then install 4.10 gears and a stall converter. An off-road pipe would also be a nice addition. You will soon find out that $1000 will not go far when you start modding any car now days.

jbeez

Reaction score
gears,

are you doing the work? if so you can get some bbk shorty headers for decent price, x pipe(w or w/o cats upto you), cat-back exhaust

the entire exhaust alone might be like $1000 depending on what you get, if you ever plan on installing a panhard bar or torque arm you may need to do more research into your exhaust now or you'll be modifying/replacing it later

OP
OP
B

bullitt776

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far.

Don't think I want to use up too much $$ on an exhaust system where the most value is at high rpm.

Think I'll go with just mufflers w/ stock mid pipes.

How much is it for gearswitha bearing/seal kit installed?

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Everyone has given you the typical options which is the path most people including me are following. Gears will probably be between $5 and $6 bills when all is said and done. It depends a lot on where you get them installed. As far as exhaust goes, I feel my car sounds better at 2k rpms than it does at 4 so I wouldn't count exhaust out.

Stangbangin

Reaction score
it would really be cool if you did some of the works yourself...It sux paying for labor but if you have to pay for labor on something let it be gears. I did mine myself but I had done them before. I would say gears first then basic bolt ons. headers, mid pipe and cat back..

jbeez

Reaction score
I had my gears put in at mustangmagic in long island and they were about $375 parts and labor when I had them put in, and they did them in under an hour, I've put a ton of miles on them, drive it hard, no noises or crazy stuff comming from the rear, best money I ever spent. I think the price has gone up to maybe $400 now, but thats still a steal compared to most shops at $500 minimum, they just do so many of them they can do it with their eyes closed :p great shop if you're ever around NY, i drove up there from philly just so they could do my gears and I'm 100% happy

ck5.0

Reaction score
Gear will give you a seat of the pants feel. Most typical bolt ons will not. Half of your budget would go to that though.

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
Be sure you put on your list a light bar!! Or go the $200 cheaper route like I went and buy a styling bar. See ya!!

OP
OP
B

bullitt776

Reaction score
How about this ??

I've priced the following:

3.55 FMC Racing gears and bearing/ seals kit -installed =$ 515 tax inc.

Flowmaster American Thunder cat back $300

Billitt grill - $90 [ I just like the look]

KYB G2 front shocks $150

Shocks install and alignment + $150

FMC stock rear shock - $50 [my employee cost]

Thats about $ 1,250 - a little over budget .

I should have have more performseance, a better sound, a unique front appearance [ BTW I also removed the fog lights ],
and improved the ride and cornering.

It's probable not even a mid 14 second car but it should scoot between lane changes and drive real nice.
Remember this is a daily driver commuter ride.

Wudda ya all think?

fixthedoor

Reaction score
A little to the party but...

gears definately
Since you have an AODE I'd say install a shift kit. Coupled with the gears it'll give you a swift kick in the pants on the upshifts. They're pretty inexpensive too.
Install a new torque converter although unless you do it yourself (along with having the gears installed) it would put you over your budget.

ck5.0

Reaction score
sounds like a good plan man. Since you have an auto I would recommend going with 3.73. You will not really loose any mileage compared to the 3.55s and with your auto 3.55s might not be the best bet. That is unless you are planning on adding a supercharger down the road, then 3.55s are cool. I have 3.55s for my car and wish they were 3.73 or even 4.10.

jbeez

Reaction score
bullitt776 said:
How about this ??

I've priced the following:

3.55 FMC Racing gears and bearing/ seals kit -installed =$ 515 tax inc.

Flowmaster American Thunder cat back $300

Billitt grill - $90 [ I just like the look]

KYB G2 front shocks $150

Shocks install and alignment + $150

FMC stock rear shock - $50 [my employee cost]

Thats about $ 1,250 - a little over budget .

I should have have more performseance, a better sound, a unique front appearance [ BTW I also removed the fog lights ],
and improved the ride and cornering.

It's probable not even a mid 14 second car but it should scoot between lane changes and drive real nice.
Remember this is a daily driver commuter ride.

Wudda ya all think?

My 95gt coupe is pretty heavy, my 3.73s are perfect w/ my tko600 manual trans, do the autos need more or less gear? I would think you need some 4.10s to really wake that guy up, is top speed very important to you? 3.73s can still move good up top. I had the flowmaster cat back, I replaced it with a mac cat back w/ 2 1/2" throughout and it sounded and felt much better, I made a couple more HP w/ it installed. It's not the highest quality kit bit its pretty cheap and it lasted me at least 4 or 5 years, and the only reason I took it off was because I'm installing a panhard bar and needed to go back to something with stock exhaust routing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online