New Rear End

Adam Gustafson

Reaction score
Hey Guys! My posi-trac system makes a clicking noise in the rain and I am simply looking to upgrade my rear axle. I want the Ford Nine inch but I am not sure what the best gear ratio would be for my car. I drive a 99 Sn95 Base model with some minor engine upgrades CAI, BBK throttle body, and a Bama Tune. As far as other modifications I have SR Performance sway bars and Coilovers. My driving style is spirited on the back roads!

What would be the best rear gear ratios for my car! Thanks for the help.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
you will get several different opinions. what type of driving do you do....daily driver, weekends, local, long distances, interstate...what or how do you use the car.

OP
OP
Adam Gustafson

Adam Gustafson

Reaction score
My car is a Weekend driver however, during a really nice week in the summer I may take it out every day for small cruises with friends in the local car community. I drive the car a lot on some of the winding back roads and would love for it to become a track (Road course) car one day

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
What in the world makes you want to go through the trouble of swapping in a 9 inch? The 8.8 is plenty strong for about 99% of the crowd out there. If you are serious enough to "need" a 9 inch rear, then you probably dont need to be on here asking questions.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I agree with Iwarrior...the 8.8 can be made plenty stout enough to not have to go thru the expense and trouble of swapping in a 9". depending on your eventual goals with the motor, i.e., supercharge, turbo, whatever, that will also dictate your ratio. for most purposes, either a 3.73 or 4.10 will do the job. most like the 4.10's in these cars, I prefer the 3.73 having had both. if you boost, then probably 3.55.

kb1982

Reaction score
If you want to fix the issue for cheap, just change out the rear diff fluid and then add the proper amount of friction modifier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online