New runs with slicks 11.35 @ 121

Knuckles@Empire

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
wow now im really impressed with the time, im assuming your car is your cruiser or is it a DD? if you had a slightly more aggresive suspension for drag racing it sounds like your car would really eat.

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Damn! Good times! Don't you need a roll cage/full leather gear though to run it? I know here at the track they kick you off if you hit 120mph without full leather racing gear(happened last weekend to a guy with a GT500) and you need a roll cage at 11.49. My goal is to run high 11s with mine. What size slick you running too? I'm surprised at how good of a 60' you have with that kind of suspension lol

Knuckles@Empire

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Damn! Good times! Don't you need a roll cage/full leather gear though to run it? I know here at the track they kick you off if you hit 120mph without full leather racing gear(happened last weekend to a guy with a GT500) and you need a roll cage at 11.49. My goal is to run high 11s with mine. What size slick you running too? I'm surprised at how good of a 60' you have with that kind of suspension lol

There is no "leather" gear used to drag race its non flammable gear.And as for MPH is concerned they dont enforce anything MPH related unless its 150mph were you need a chute. Every restriction is done E.T wise. The cage needed at 11.50s is a 4 point i believe. Also his 60' looks like it has more in it a slick with as much power as hes getting to the ground is going to 60 right around were he is at id say maybe a half tenth better at best. With some suspension like posted above even mild 1.4-1.5s are doable and every tenth off the 60 is 2 tenths off the big end. Im going to guess your running something like a 28 10.5 slick size.

Knuckles

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Haha thanks for correcting me, I didn't know what equipment it was, all I know is you need special racing gear outside a helmet at some point. And the NHRA thing on the website where I race at says you need that racing gear at 11.49 OR 135mph. I was going to guess a 10.5 slick, I run 8.5 right now with 298rwhp and I have spun the rubber on the rim once, haven't done it since, so I'm crosses my fingers I don't need bigger ones yet.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks...I thinks its just the good tire making up for the suspension.. This is my DD so Im not really gonna go full drag untill I get something else to DD.

Im running a 26x10 on a 15 inch rim mt et drag

and yes, 11.50 or better you need a cage. I was surprised I didnt get kicked out cause I ran better than 11.50 3 times in a row lol...but cecil doesnt really check on test and tune nights.
There was tons of fast cars running since a big weekend was coming up so I didnt stick out much.

I told the guy when I came in, " im running 13s ish"

Im thinking I may throw the edlebrock intake manifold on top of it, ditch the front sway bar and try to break 10s....would be cool to do.

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Haha I know that feeling. I hate being literally a few tenths from breaking the next second. I'm the same way now, I want to shave off just over .3 to get a 12 second pass :). Get big+littles, intake, and some minor weight reduction and you might break 10s! Good luck!

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Haha I know that feeling. I hate being literally a few tenths from breaking the next second. I'm the same way now, I want to shave off just over .3 to get a 12 second pass :). Get big+littles, intake, and some minor weight reduction and you might break 10s! Good luck!

lol, ive got the bigs/ littles...Im sure I can drop some weight, havent even tried to drop weight other than the rear seat.

The intake seems to be worth a good bit of power up top..maybe 30-40 rwhp with my car so It should definitely be close.

Knuckles@Empire

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
yeh weight reduction of an kind at this point seems like a good thing to help you out. id remove everything from the car that i could like the jack and spare and what not.How much power is your car laying down?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
congrats dude, very impressive indeed. Your tranny/converter/tire setup is whats doing wonders for you

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
with the eddie intake make sure to run a large volume plenum like the 6061 and keep in mind you'll need aftermarket rails...so its not a super cheap conversion but well worth it I think

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
yeh weight reduction of an kind at this point seems like a good thing to help you out. id remove everything from the car that i could like the jack and spare and what not.How much power is your car laying down?

Best it ever made was 384 rwhp.

Its an auto with a "safe" tune.

Ive seen an identical car make 431 with a manual transmission FWIW.

And Mike, thanks

The trans and tires make all the differance. I picked up a second going from street tires to slicks.

Im talking to a guy selling the intake/ rails/ and 6061 elbow for like 550 so I wsa gonna pick it up from him.

I would never put that on my car without that 6061 elbow. lol

I can never seem to find any solid data on that intake on a car like mine.

But Im hoping it picks up some good top end. My motor will prolly grenade. lol

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
No.

lol, jk..the power is there but it really depends on how you can drive and get the power down...you will definately need atleast a drag radial with your suspension.

I need a full out slick to hook with sportlines.

Not to be discouraging but the manual guys struggle....there was a 405 rwhp 04 gt there tonight running 12.9 @ 114 mph...my car only made a best of 384 rwhp.

Do you have a strip anywhere near you?

this 04 GT that you're comparing your car to. did it have slicks as well? if not, its a moot point to compare. And if he did, then he just can't drive. When it come to a stick car versus an auto non t-brake car, the manual car will out 60' it on slicks. And an auto car really doesn't need a Slick, a REAL drag radial will hook just fine.

Congrats on the times though.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
this 04 GT that you're comparing your car to. did it have slicks as well? if not, its a moot point to compare. And if he did, then he just can't drive. When it come to a stick car versus an auto non t-brake car, the manual car will out 60' it on slicks. And an auto car really doesn't need a Slick, a REAL drag radial will hook just fine.

I honestly dont think my car will hook on a real DR with my suspension since its not drag oriented but I may be wrong....either way. a slick doesnt seem to hurt and I like the idea of a slick with my stock rear end since I feel like it gives a bit more with the soft sidewall.

problem with manual cars, barely anyone can drive them to the full potential

I will agree with you that a manual car will 60 foot better...but what really matters is who is still in front at the end of the track.

I have found you the PERFECT example of this.

http://www.dragtimes.com/1998-Ford-Mustang-Specs-8091.html

Take a look at that car and his info, his setup is the same as mine, same blower, pulley, intercooler, exhaust, and his car even weighs the same as mine.

He has coil overs, better suspension for the track I would say.

Now lets compare times, his 60 foot is 1.55, so your 100% right there. He did 60 foot a full tenth better than me, his 1.55 to my 1.65. But lets see how were doing by the 1/8th or the 1/4

His 1/8 is 7.325 to my 7.25 so he is behind a bit and his 1/4 is 11.45 to my 11.35 so behind a tenth there.

Im not trying to start any fights but lets be serious...when were talking about cars with any kinda of power, especially boosted, it seems like 99.9% of the time, a car with a decent auto transmission with a proper torque converter, will run a better ET than a comparable manual car.

For the record, this car that I have posted seems to be one of the fastest times I can even find for a similar manual car.

You seem to be a bad ass driver, but one of the very few. I give you mad props for doing what you do with a stick cause I dont think I could do it.

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Stick cars IMO are more fun to drive on the strip. With autos it's gas it and hold the f**k on! With stick, you have to launch properly, hit your shifts, AND make sure you stay in the powerband. A high stall auto is amazing at the track, but try driving it on the street, you're tranny will start boiling before you drive 2 blocks! If I started dipping into the 10s, I would definitely look at a built auto...

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Stick cars IMO are more fun to drive on the strip. With autos it's gas it and hold the f**k on! With stick, you have to launch properly, hit your shifts, AND make sure you stay in the powerband. A high stall auto is amazing at the track, but try driving it on the street, you're tranny will start boiling before you drive 2 blocks! If I started dipping into the 10s, I would definitely look at a built auto...

lol yea,...theres just a lot more to go wrong with the stick, which makes it really hard to compete with a stalled auto...especially when you get faster and have boost.

Stick cars sure are fun though.

Lol I DD my car with a 3800 stall, just need a nice sized cooler and you will be fine, my trans temps never go above 180 degrees...but it is a lockup converter so it locks up on the highway.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I'm still playing around with mine getting it properly setup before I take it to the track...but I'll tell you on the street my auto setup absolutely destroys manuals with the same power level

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm still playing around with mine getting it properly setup before I take it to the track...but I'll tell you on the street my auto setup absolutely destroys manuals with the same power level

I agree with you 100%.

If I run across a 400 rwhp manual mustang, odds are I will put bus lengths on him.

this may just be due to driver error ,etc etc...but honestly, the auto is damn good at going fast and is dead on consistent.

Ive ran into lots of cars that should kill me on paper, but cant seem to shake me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Overused_03

Members online