New steering wheell...

ma97gt

Reaction score
My 97 steering wheel was messed up on top, ( dry and cranking) Been looking for one in the junkyard, but hard to find nices ones. So I figured I would try something since I wanted a leather one.. Got a black leather steering wheel out of a 96-97 T-bird to test.. With littlle modifying it worked.. And the only really mods were making mounting holes for the grey cover to replace the black one, on the bird wheel. Mainly because my car doesn't have cruise control and the bird wheel did. And if I took of the cruise controls buttons it would of left gaps in the cover behind the air bag.. And to make even better is I got the wheel for $15 minus airbag....

Anyway, here are a before and after picture....

Before....

dsc04152_123.jpg

New $15 leather wheel...

steering_1__resized__162.jpg

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ma97gt said:
DropTopPony said:
Nice cheap replacement, i went with the FR500 when i needed a new one.

Have any pictures?

I don't have any of mine on my computer but i do have one thats exactly like mine except this picture has a Cobra on the airbag instead of the running horse.

[attachment deleted by admin]

white98stang

Reaction score
i need one but i dont want a fr500 because of cobra on it...wouldnt represent the 6 to well

powerfreak

Reaction score
looks good. mine needs to be swapped out too. is it a p.i.a. to pull with the airbag? i've pulled steering wheels before, just never dealt with airbags. :dunno:

Whistler98

Reaction score
white98stang said:
i need one but i dont want a fr500 because of cobra on it...wouldnt represent the 6 to well

It doesn't come with cobra on it. The FR500 is just the outer rim you keep your center section. This is a great mod for are cars I just put mine in.

Whistler98

Reaction score
powerfreak said:
looks good. mine needs to be swapped out too. is it a p.i.a. to pull with the airbag? i've pulled steering wheels before, just never dealt with airbags. :dunno:

It is not hard at all ppl have done write up's on these do a search. All you do is unhook your battery and wait 10 mins I may have only waited 5 b/c I am impatient but ppl say to wait 10 to make sure. Pop the two covers off the side of the steering wheel cover and there are 2 bolts that come out and it comes right off. Be careful and just unplug the airbag after you unbolt it and then set it aside face down (Running horse down / airbag facing you). that is really all there is to it.

white98stang

Reaction score
Whistler98 said:
white98stang said:

It doesn't come with cobra on it. The FR500 is just the outer rim you keep your center section. This is a great mod for are cars I just put mine in.

nice...whats the difference from the stock

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
white98stang said:
Whistler98 said:
white98stang said:

nice...whats the difference from the stock

Its thicker (feels great) has perforations for airflow and is made with a much better quality leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.