No head lights or dash lights no power or crank.

Blackhippy2016

Reaction score
I have a 97 v6 that has been sitting for over a year and I’m currently trying to get it to start again. I have put a new battery in it and a brand new starter as well and the only think I get is a very weak chime and a check engine light that barely illuminates. The windows, radio, headlights also don’t work. So I was told that a alternator could drain the battery if it’s bad but I had no problems with it before it was down. Would there be something else that’s causing it to not have power such as a fuse or short in a wire somewhere? I do want to mention that it was rained in a few times because the window was busted but the battery wasn’t connected at the time I believe.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
If you have a manual start checking fuses and relay
In fuse box
Then check grounding

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
You probably have ground issue somewhere
If light are dim
Battery have at least 12.30 v

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
check the vehicle grounds. By check I mean follow to where they connect, remove the bolt holding them, clean both surfaces with sand paper and then tighten it back down till it does not wiggle. I do not mean look at them or just touch them. With electrical you have to start simple or you feel stupid in the end.

OP
OP
B

Blackhippy2016

Reaction score
check the vehicle grounds. By check I mean follow to where they connect, remove the bolt holding them, clean both surfaces with sand paper and then tighten it back down till it does not wiggle. I do not mean look at them or just touch them. With electrical you have to start simple or you feel stupid in the end.
I found this wire down by the starter I’m wondering if it’s a ground?

Attachments

• B58861CE-49F0-4278-AC52-E4340A11D251.jpeg
    B58861CE-49F0-4278-AC52-E4340A11D251.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 9

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
starter grounds to the block, no wires. The only wire that thick to the starter is the starter power wire and it looks like the ring terminal is missing on the end. CRimp a new one on and it should screw back on.

OP
OP
B

Blackhippy2016

Reaction score
starter grounds to the block, no wires. The only wire that thick to the starter is the starter power wire and it looks like the ring terminal is missing on the end. CRimp a new one on and it should screw back on.
I sent it to the mechanic to have it done it looks like it already is.
Crank it and tell me what voltage your at while cranking over
I’ll have to get a second person to help me with that

Attachments

• D8112809-3C77-4FCD-AAE1-EF1825C147BD.jpeg
    D8112809-3C77-4FCD-AAE1-EF1825C147BD.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Like ttocs said check and make sure those starter wires have a good terminal and a good crimp connection

OP
OP
B

Blackhippy2016

Reaction score
I have a 97 v6 that has been sitting for over a year and I’m currently trying to get it to start again. I have put a new battery in it and a brand new starter as well and the only think I get is a very weak chime and a check engine light that barely illuminates. The windows, radio, headlights also don’t work. So I was told that a alternator could drain the battery if it’s bad but I had no problems with it before it was down. Would there be something else that’s causing it to not have power such as a fuse or short in a wire somewhere? I do want to mention that it was rained in a few times because the window was busted but the battery wasn’t connected at the time I believe.
I found that when I ground put this wire to a metal surface it the battery light came back on

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Another way
Take a jumper cable ground to battery and the other end to a good part of the block or chassis
That is a 100 % ground try it

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Could a loose or faulty ignition cylinder be involved? Just grasping at straws, but you never know…

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Check you cable from battery to fuse block in engine compartment. It may of failed

OP
OP
B

Blackhippy2016

Reaction score
UPDATE: The wire that I found hanging was indeed a ground wire. To test it I latched it on to a rack and pinon bolt and all the lights and electronics started working properly. Now I have to find a place to properly ground it since its just sitting on a stud. Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online