NPI & PI cam specs

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The big special in my opinion is not all pi cams are the same unless ones view point is all stock cams suck, then they do fit into a suck category. Any how, im finding the mustang and some 5.4l got the better performing cams

Addicted

Reaction score
I'm not on the band wagon of all PI cams suck, I found this specific thread fascinating. I like #'s. I think it's neat that ford actually specd these cams for each combo. Ive got 2 sets of 96-98 GT cams also.

Monday

Reaction score
Most cams listed came from crownvic or towncar...I dont know which, so I didnt list it.
I have found two 5.4L with their cams. Could you please tell me if I need to get them or not. I guess they'll both be geared - both pairs of camshafts - and I am sooooooo wondering if I buy these things, do they bolt right in?

Do I need any of those numbers up above in your data posts?

I'm also installing cam locks in them, if I buy them. Any kind of advice would be truly appreciated.

Thank-you

(One motor is 2000; 2v is 2001 - both P/Ups)

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The 5.2l 2v cams are the better 2v cams. Gotta watch it though, the later 5.4l cams have additional timing bumps for the cam timing sensor and if they are pressed on sprockets, meaning the sprocket cant be removed, these cams wont run in our mustangs.
Youll want either pre 03 pressed on sprocket 5.4l cams or bolt on sprocket cams and then youll simply swap your sprockets on. But since you know the years youll be extracting from, 2000 and 2001, you should be in the clear of any of this.

You mentioned cam locks. This leads me to believe a little bit of confusion between 2v and 3v cams. 2v cams...to my knowledge, never were part of the variable cam timing like the 3v cam are. The cam locks are for the 3v variable timing adjuster sprockets to lock their movement into one position and are not necessary for 2v, so no locks needed.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Monday

Reaction score
"The cam locks are for the 3v variable timing adjuster sprockets to lock their movement into one p-position and are not necessary for 2v, so no locks needed."

Hope this helps
HELPS!!!

Of course it does. This shit right here is the stuff people don't tell you about their "Big Ideas". I was told it would idle like a monster after I installed the locks. I'm sure it would.

SO, another question; I was told I have to take the cams off myself... what about the heads? Should I grab those as well? The crankshaft? Do these just bolt on? Obviously getting professionally cleaned before I would mutate the engine.

tnx

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Rummaging around over on social media i stumbled onto someone asking if modular 2v cams had differences based on the platform the engine came in. Such as crownvic cams compared to mustang cams.

This thread is the evidence!

And if one got curious enough to explore the differences for themselves, a simple 6" caliper to measure the cam lobe max lift will reveal alot. They would easily discover that all platforms did not come with a common 4.6l cam profile.

Last edited:

wmfateam

Reaction score
If I ever cared enough, I could put these on our "cam Dyno" at my work. I just put an 03-05 2V Explorer into my Mustang using the factory Explorer heads and cams. Not doing a power build, just want 250ish HP and Max TQ for a specific race class.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Thats cool. The explorer was one of the better performing oriented 2v modulars built. Just be sure to get them plastic chain tensioners swapped out for cast iron ones or they will fail.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Thats cool. The explorer was one of the better performing oriented 2v modulars built. Just be sure to get them plastic chain tensioners swapped out for cast iron ones or they will fail.
Sure did. Thought it was funny that they were made of plastic even I was replacing them along with the chains and guides.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online