Oil Filter Clearance Issues?... Here Is the Solution!!!! *Pics*

S

scarface

My oil filter is no where near the Kmember...you have other issues.

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Bump For Will :boink:

this technique worked 100% i can't believe that something honda made 20 years ago or so slides right on a 4.6 mustang motor.. lol

0629082207.jpg

used a fram ph3531, will be a temporary fix until i can get some new motor mounts.

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
Willis_98GT said:
SRT Handz said:

this technique worked 100% i can't believe that something honda made 20 years ago or so slides right on a 4.6 mustang motor.. lol

0629082207.jpg

used a fram ph3531, will be a temporary fix until i can get some new motor mounts.

OK Willis_98GT. You have a '98 model GT. What is it's production date? My '98 does not have the large silver filter mount that yours

and Handz have in the pic's. I have a production date of 5/98. Is this a late '98 on-the-fly production change?

I also found that when I replaced the crappy "cracked" plastic intake that mine also has the '99 coolant line (style & location)

passing under the intake they spoke of in the install instructions. It states "some late production '98's have the revised '99 coolant

line" and not to bother doing some small modification to it.

I wonder what else changed during the '98 production run. Any ideas? GT

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the "S" in FL-820S stands for "Short", Not silicone. Thats retarded to think that once filter uses different things that other motorcraft filters.

Ford had to make a short version to fin the tight engine space...thats the only reason we use a short filter.

Steven said:
also.. why didn't you just put a new motor mount on it.. you obviously need one. It's a band aid to the situation.

If You would go back a READ instead of Assuming things you would know that i already changed my motor mounts.

http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=23047.0

This fix isnt ment to be used forever but to be used till you can change the mounts. My mustangs is my only car and ONLY way of transportation to school and work.... and missing school is not an option. I really just can stop doing what i am doing to change my mounts and i need to get to school, so i engineered this fix to get me to school and back. My mounts were so shot that i couldnt even get a filter on besided the Honda filter. Thise fix helped be get thought 6 weeks so i could drive to school until my motor mounts came in the mail and i had time off to change them.

I offered this solution to Will because i know he needs to drive his car, so this will help him drive the car until he gets his mounts on.

This is Also a solution that people use when using a aftermarket k-member and need a smaller filter.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
sigh.. handz. Everyone, technicians, parts men, service writers, will all tell you it is not a short version. It is an updated version of the regular 820. They wouldn't call it a 820s if it was meant to be shorter, it would have a whole other part number. Find a old 820, it is no different physically outside then an 820s. I work with these things all day long, theres a friggin box sitting next to this very computer i'm on.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Steven said:
sigh.. handz. Everyone, technicians, parts men, service writers, will all tell you it is not a short version. It is an updated version of the regular 820. They wouldn't call it a 820s if it was meant to be shorter, it would have a whole other part number. Find a old 820, it is no different physically outside then an 820s. I work with these things all day long, theres a friggin box sitting next to this very computer i'm on.

been to several dealerships in socal and they said the same thing, S=Short.....

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
Steven said:

The only visual, physical difference between the Motorcraft FL-820 and the FL-820S is when you look down the

throat of the FL-820S you can see the "orange" colored silicone anti-drainback valve surface in the small windows

around the filter opening. The superceded FL-820 is black.

The only reason Ford might even still sell an FL-820 is if the filter mounts horizontally on that particular vehicle

and "drainback" is not an issue. Personally, I have not seen a FL-820 in years. GT

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
Steven said:

I wonder if these technicians feel that it does stand for "short" because other than the length, the filter resembles

the FL-1 from the 302/5.0L era. Even the mounting face and seal look a lot like the FL-1 from years back. Just a thought. GT

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
GDTrumbo said:
I wonder if these technicians feel that it does stand for "short" because other than the length, the filter resembles

the FL-1 from the 302/5.0L era. Even the mounting face and seal look a lot like the FL-1 from years back. Just a thought. GT

maybe...... This is most likely true. I am just saying what i have been told. I Know that asking someone at a dealership isnt always gonna produce the correct answer....i know i may be wrong. It would be great to find out the exact reasoning.

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
GDTrumbo said:
Willis_98GT said:
SRT Handz said:

0629082207.jpg

OK Willis_98GT. You have a '98 model GT. What is it's production date? My '98 does not have the large silver filter mount that yours

and Handz have in the pic's. I have a production date of 5/98. Is this a late '98 on-the-fly production change?

I also found that when I replaced the crappy "cracked" plastic intake that mine also has the '99 coolant line (style & location)

passing under the intake they spoke of in the install instructions. It states "some late production '98's have the revised '99 coolant

line" and not to bother doing some small modification to it.

I wonder what else changed during the '98 production run. Any ideas? GT

Now Handz, read the quoted ^ and let me know if you have ever heard of this. It's wierd to see this
large filter mount in the pics of yours and Willis'. I know his is a '98. Is yours also?? I'm curious about the
mid-pruduction run changes as they are not always easy or cheap for mfgr's to do. GT

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yes, i do have the metal mount that Will has in the picture....even 99+ 2V have the same exact mount.

My 98 is a Very Late yesr production model that rolled off the assembly line on 6/8/98

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
yes, i do have the metal mount that Will has in the picture....even 99+ 2V have the same exact mount.

My 98 is a Very Late yesr production model that rolled off the assembly line on 6/8/98

OK. Then why does mine have the small filter mount? This is too wierd. I figured you would tell me
your's was produced.. like.. in january or something. Then there is the cooling line under the intake.
Mine is a '99 style. I'll have to look further into this. Thanks, GT

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
AaRoN said:
My car was built Feb. 1998 and it looks the same as Willis' and Greg's.

The filter on mine looks like it's closer to the block. When you loosen & drain the filter

the oil drains right down onto the rack assembly and tends to fill up, what I think, is an

adjustment nut for the pinion in the rack. GT

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
mines like handz's (on the 98 gt of course)

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
man... oil got all over the rack.. i had to blast it for a while with a pressure washer.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
i dont bother with the rack area when cleaning. it gets worse right there after.

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
Ok let a partsman of 18 years step in here.... :coolsmiley:

The "S" on the FL-820S stands for silicone as stated above, who ever told you it meant shorter is wrong period.
The FL-820 now known as part # CM6731 is now a Ford Racing filter.
http://home.earthlink.net/~cewhite3nc/id11.html

The common Ford filter you are thinking of is FL-1A which has standard threads and the new filter FL-820S has metric threads.

FYI a FL-1A will work on pre 94 small block chrysler 318,360 ect... and is longer then the stock filter.... A little info for any Mopar owners here.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Outlaw97GT said:

The "S" on the FL-820S stands for silicone as stated above, who ever told you it meant shorter is wrong period.

The common Ford filter you are thinking of is FL-1A which has standard threads and the new filter FL-820S has metric threads.

FYI a FL-1A will work on pre 94 small block chrysler 318,360 ect... and is longer then the stock filter.... A little info for any Mopar owners here.

Good to know the real answer...damn ford parts guys are killin' me :hammer:

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Outlaw97GT said:

Good to know the real answer...damn ford parts guys are killin' me :hammer:

Yeah you gotta be carefull with the dealer parts guys, Most (not all) are dumbass's. Ive been in commercial sales for the last 10 years so Im the guy all the shops and dealers call to get their parts.

IMO the best parts guys are in your backrooms of your local parts store.....except Autozone AKA Autojoke, votozone
O'Reilly's, Napa, Carquest ect.. I work for 1st call, O'reilly's name for their commercail dept. I don't work the counter or deal with retail customers except my friends ofcourse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott

Members online