oil filter wont go on

jareds98gt

Reaction score
my oil filter wont go back on. its rubbing on the frame that holds the control arms. were loosening the
motor mounts and the tranny mount. hopefully we can move it enough to get the filter back on.

OP
OP
J

jareds98gt

Reaction score
it took some muscle to get it off. its definently the right one. hopefully ill have it fixed tomorrow.

OP
OP
J

jareds98gt

Reaction score
well, i loosened the motor mounts and took out the tranny mount. we moved the motor and tranny enough
to get the oil filter on. so ill be tightening those back up tomorrow. and eventually i think im gonna be an oil filter relocation kit.

OP
OP
J

jareds98gt

Reaction score
we got it on. we shifted the motor and tranny enough to get it on. im just gonna order a oil filter relocation kit to get rid of the problem.

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
why was it so hard to get on and off? is this a common problem that other people have?

OP
OP
J

jareds98gt

Reaction score
its definently not a common problem. its never been a problem till this time. The oil filter was hitting the crossmember.

OP
OP
J

jareds98gt

Reaction score
i got the filter at kragens, made by bosch, i think the # was 3410 or something like that.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
thats odd, did you hit something, or have bad motor mounts? There should be plenty of room.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
there is plenty of room to take out the filter....you definetely need to look into that. post some pics of you can. im intrigued

Downshift

Reaction score
ya try and get some pics up because you should not have any problems getting and oil filter on. Hope everything is ok but I cant see why it would be hitting anything. Was it longer then the one you took off?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same problem and found the fix!!!!

Problem

So, for some reason (Motor Mount I Believe) my oil filter has always been VERY close to my k-member. When it comes On & Off during an oil change it actually rubs on the K-Member. Over time it has gotten even closer and has giving me trouble getting on and off. the oil filter actually cracked and was leaking oil due to me having to hammer the filter and bend it to fit.

Solution

I plan on doing an oil filter relocation new month but i need something to use till i get all my parts in.

After extensive research i discovered that the Mobil-1 & K&N oil filters are shorter than the FL-820s.... But not buy much. Even more searching gave me an answer. Ford makes a oil filter called the FL-757. This is a Motorcraft Part oil Filter for a early 80's Honda Accord/Prelude 1.6 liter. The Filter is 1 inch shorter than the FL-820s and has the same diameter and threading. I called EVERY Ford dealership in Southern California and NOBODY carries the filter. The part would have to be ordered from Dearborn.

I took a little drive down to The Parts store and Got the Purolater filter thats equivalent to the FL-757. I also purchased to Mobil-1 filter just to see if it would work.

The Pic Below Shows the Comparison of the Short FL-757 to the Mobil-1 and the FL820s

OilFilters.jpg

After getting home and trying the Mobil-1 there was still a clearance issue and it was rubbing while i was spinning the filter on. I then tried the FL-757 (Honda Filter) and it fit PERFECT!!!! It didnt touch anything while going on and have plenty of room around the filter. Works Great!!!

I hope this Helps anyone that has the same issue, or is tired of dealing with the BS clearance of the OEM filter

Pic Below is The Honda Filter Installed..... You can see where the FL-820s Rubs on the K-Member

ShortOilFilter.jpg

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
This is also a symptom of shot motor mounts. You might want to look into changing them out.

95 BLOWN GT

Reaction score
good info here. and you went through a lot of work to replace that filter, you must have more patience than me...i would have been irate . lol

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Wow old thread. He did not fix anything though, he just bandaided a bigger problem. There should be PLENTY of room in there, since there isn't something is broken or worn and needs to be fixed asap. Hopefully he fixed it by now. New motor mounts are cheap and pretty easy to install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online