Opinion on easiest way to change bolt-on cams?

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by BMAC96GT, Aug 18, 2015.

1. BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT Active Member

I'm getting ready to put PI cams in my car and I was hoping to get some advice from those that are experienced. Whats the easiest way to keep the timing gear/chain in place when you're doing a (bolt-on) cam swap? Some people say Anderson tool, some say C-clamps, some say vice grips, and some say just get a buddy to hold them up.

Any body had success or failures with any particular method?

2. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Honestly man, you are far better off just pulling the timing cover. Its not that much more work and you can inspect your timing components at the same time. then you can set the timing from the very base and make sure its all correct. I know [MENTION=19212]Burninriverdiver[/MENTION] just went through a very similar scenario.

3. BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT Active Member

It sounds like a lot more work lol. Is there a detailed write up on it? I could possibly be interested in doing it that way but I figured swapping the cams real quick would be much simpler

4. lwarrior1016

You really don't need a write up for it. The hardest part about pulling the timing cover is getting the harmonic balancer off. You will already have the power steering reservoir down. I think you have to unbolt the power steering pump and then the timing cover bolts. Which part specifically are you unsure of?

5. BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT Active Member

Specifically, setting the timing since I've never done it...hence, me trying to avoid it by just swapping cams.

6. lwarrior1016

OHHHH Ok. Piece of cake. When you take it apart, put the keyway on the crankshaft at the 9 o'clock position so you pistons are all below the deck. Install your cams. Put the timing mark on the crank gear pointing straight down. Then you will just be lining up the dots. Install the chain with the colored link on the crank timing mark, stretch it out to the cam, make sure all the slack is out of the guide side, the turn the cam ever so slightly to make the timing mark on the cam line up to the chain. Comp has a good write up, Ill dig up the links. Its really easy once you get into it.

7. lwarrior1016

8. lwarrior1016

I cant find the comp cam article I located once before

9. BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT Active Member

That's a great write up! Thanks!

10. lwarrior1016

No problem, and as always post up any questions that you have. The guys that have done these swaps will be more than happy to help out.

11. 03DSGGT

03DSGGT SN95 Supporting Member

Way back in the day I changed a set of cams in my car without pulling the cover. I unbolted the cam sprocket, then the cam caps, then I had the new cam sitting on the intake. Pulled the cam gear off with one hand and held up on it while I pulled the other cam out of the head with the other and switched the new one in place. It was a pain and wouldn't recommend it. I got lucky and knowing what I know now I wouldn't attempt it that way again....

12. heffe2001

heffe2001 Active Member

13. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

All good advise here. Pull the front cover

14. BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT Active Member

Yeah...so what it sounds like is trying to change cams without pulling the cover is half-assing it

15. lwarrior1016

Absolutely!

16. heffe2001

heffe2001 Active Member

You could very easily get the timing out of whack doing it without pulling the cover. While you're in there, if the timing guides and chains look bad at all, I'd go ahead and do that. If the guilds are chewed up at all, drop the pan and clean out the pickup or swap out the pump (that's what I did, I've almost got it back together, lol).

17. Burninriverdiver

Burninriverdiver Well-Known Member

Yes, just went through the same thing, lwarrior1016 and 96blak54 really walked me through it with some good advice. It's easier to just pull the cover and take the time to set it from scratch.... Let me find the link to my old thread with their wisdom lol

18. Burninriverdiver

Burninriverdiver Well-Known Member

19. BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT Active Member

Awesome. Thanks guys. It'll make me feel better anyway to pull the cover off and check that stuff out

20. BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT Active Member

Just read through [MENTION=19212]Burninriverdiver[/MENTION] 's thread. Lots and lots of good information on there. This forum is ridiculously helpful and has a lot of knowledgeable guys on it. Hopefully I'll be starting the swap soon. Just got my T45 back from T45 source yesterday, have a set of PI cams, and my PI intake is being shipped currently. I really wanna do the PI cam/intake swap, and paint, wire tuck, clean up the engine bay all at once since everything will be apart. After reading [MENTION=19212]Burninriverdiver[/MENTION] 's thread, it really makes me want to ship my heads to [MENTION=14727]96blak54[/MENTION] to have the intake ports welded so I dont have to deal with RTV lol.

I'll keep you guys updated! I'll probably start a build thread for my car too since I never have