Opinions on Bassini mid length headers wanted

PinkieT

Reaction score
Have stock 98 GT 5-spd manual. Only engine mods to date are BBK CAI, hotter coils and wires. Have a set of PI heads and Ford Racing intake for a winter project. Plan on larger throttle body and plenum too.

Local guy is selling set of older Bassani mid length headers and off road H pipe at a very good price. I've read not to bother with shorty headers, go full length or stay stock, but what about mid length? Worth the effort? Will I need an aftermarket K-frame like full length headers do?

Thanks!

07GtS197

Reaction score
With shorties giving very little gains and mid lengths arent much longer Id hold off for a set of true long tubes. I think the only good thing about running shorties and mid lengths is that you dont have to remove a header to drop the tranny. But there are some brands of long tubes that allow you to drop the tranny with them installed so yea I still wouldnt get them. When is the guy selling them?

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
PinkieT As you mentioned briefly, the 4.6 responds really well to full LT Headers and an x pipe. Thats if your looking for performance gains. Anything else you will not see much performance improvement but the car will still sound much nicer.

In my opinion, Exhaust is a must on any 4.6, that beautiful sound adds to the experience 100 fold. If the deal is good enough maybe use it as a temporary improvement untiil you can fund a new exhaust setup. I believe my full exhaust setup costed me a little more then a grand new.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
PinkieT As you mentioned briefly, the 4.6 responds really well to full LT Headers and an x pipe. Thats if your looking for performance gains. Anything else you will not see much performance improvement but the car will still sound much nicer.

In my opinion, Exhaust is a must on any 4.6, that beautiful sound adds to the experience 100 fold. If the deal is good enough maybe use it as a temporary improvement untiil you can fund a new exhaust setup. I believe my full exhaust setup costed me a little more then a grand new.

Forgot to mention the PO also put Flowmasters on it. Looks like factory cats and H-pipe, stock behind mufflers. Sounds really good right now. When you say "full exhaust setup" for a grand, did that include headers?

Thanks, man!

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Forgot to mention the PO also put Flowmasters on it. Looks like factory cats and H-pipe, stock behind mufflers. Sounds really good right now. When you say "full exhaust setup" for a grand, did that include headers?

Thanks, man!

Yes, will attach the link to my exhaust setup, comes with 1 3/4 LT headers 3" collector + 3" x pipe, i already had flowmasters on and decided to leave them on. In love with this setup/exhaust note.

Ordered directly from the american racing headers website but i am attaching a lethal performance link because it shows the value without you having to build your order to a cart to show total.

Also, I have a new edge exhaust setup, this allows the bigger 3" over the 2.5 and fits great in our 96-98s after modification to the trans mount. Also note i have a UPR k member. (Well worth doing the k member if you have the time to do so.)

http://www.lethalperformance.com/sh.../03-04-svt-cobra/exhaust/headers/longtube/arh

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bassani mids are a nice setup. I remember drooling over dyno sheets where people were gaining 15-20 rwhp back when these were new. They don't work with an auto so I was SOL and I had no interest in dealing with LT's in NJ.

They were making close to the same power as LT's on modded 2V's.

Reaction score
Also, I have a new edge exhaust setup, this allows the bigger 3" over the 2.5 and fits great in our 96-98s after modification to the trans mount. Also note i have a UPR k member. (Well worth doing the k member if you have the time to do so.)

http://www.lethalperformance.com/sh.../03-04-svt-cobra/exhaust/headers/longtube/arh

youre running 3 inch exhaust?

WHY DO I NOT HAVE EXHAUST VIDEOS?!?!?!?!

also tell me more about the 3 inch exhaust because i wanna get 3 inch exhaust on the Mare

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Yes, will attach the link to my exhaust setup, comes with 1 3/4 LT headers 3" collector + 3" x pipe, i already had flowmasters on and decided to leave them on. In love with this setup/exhaust note.

Ordered directly from the american racing headers website but i am attaching a lethal performance link because it shows the value without you having to build your order to a cart to show total.

I checked it out at LMR. $1,400 no cats, $1,600 with cats. Yikes! I can nab these old Bassani's with factory H-pipe modded to fit for $200. Would rather go cheap on the exhaust and save my pennies for a Kenne Bell :).

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I checked it out at LMR. $1,400 no cats, $1,600 with cats. Yikes! I can nab these old Bassani's with factory H-pipe modded to fit for $200. Would rather go cheap on the exhaust and save my pennies for a Kenne Bell :).

Nice! Pretty much refers back to my first post! :thumbsup: "As you mentioned briefly, the 4.6 responds really well to full LT Headers and an x pipe. Thats if your looking for performance gains. Anything else you will not see much performance improvement but the car will still sound much nicer."

It wont be as loud as full exhaust but it will still sound awesome and well worth it in my opinion!

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Shorties do provide some nice gains but you will see more gains with a aftermarket head, in comparison to LT's there is no comparison though but to guys that run the 4R70W like me and droptop anything over the stock manifolds is a gain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online