Opinions wanted................

Duffy

Reaction score
I am enjoying driving my SN95.........the V6 has adequate get-up-and-go but I'm not a real fan of the auto transmission. It needs to be manual shifted to get the best performance out of the engine. Which would be better......
1. Shift kit (such as B&M) which just changes the plate on the valve body (I've done several) or a Trans Pro type kit where you just add a couple of springs and drill a larger hole or two I've done one of these also).
2. A tuner to adjust shift points (SCT or Diablo Sport). Also would get more HP via a new tune.
3. Convert from the auto to a T-5 five speed manual. Would be more fun but also more work/cost.

Lets hear the opinions from all the experts that have done these mods.

07GtS197

Reaction score
J mod and be done. A t5 swap would be neat if you dont mind rowing gears but in the end you have to ask yourself if you really want to shift it yourself, how much do you want to spend and what you plan on doing to your stang.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It’s all about personal preference. If you like playing in the twisties then t5 and don’t look back.

If chirping the tires light to light is your thing then build your auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you switch to the manual trans you are still at the same input HP. I put in a manual shift body in place of the stock valve body with a reverse pattern so you pulled it back to go to the next higher gear and had to down shift to first to come to a full stop. Lots of fun and you could hold each gear for as long as you wanted.

OP
OP
D

Duffy

Reaction score
J mod and be done. A t5 swap would be neat if you dont mind rowing gears but in the end you have to ask yourself if you really want to shift it yourself, how much do you want to spend and what you plan on doing to your stang.

I just did a search and found nothing on a "J mod". What is that? I have heard of the manual shift valve bodies and I drove trucks (9 speeds all the way to 18 speeds) so I don't mind rowing gears. There doesn't seem to be many Mustangs in the junk yards around here so I would probably have to find a donor car (not many of those either) to get all the manual hardware (pedal box, etc.).

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Look up 4r70w j-mod. It’s really the way to go with this trans. You’re going to remove some accumulator springs and drill some holes in the separater plate. It will make the shifts crisp and fast but not so hard it’ll rattle your teeth. It will improve clutch life and make the transmission last longer.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you go that far change out the snap ring on the OD diode, the Ford snap ring is the weak link on that trans. A new spiral type ring is 5.00 and then you can do 600 hp up shifts and down shifts without loosing 2nd. gear. (ask me how I know) As for the J-mod it is a lubrication trick to the tail shaft bearing Ford racing used in off road Baja transmissions and is a big maybe as to need on a street trans. It was used to flush out sand that got behind the drive shaft yoke seal at the end of the trans. I wanted to do it and was arguing with Ford engineer JDM of JDM Engineering and he said "I invented it and you don't need it" shut me up quick..

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I stand corrected. It looks like the J mod has morphed into including shift valve body mods, that is a nice vid, sure do wish that was around when all this info was new 20 years ago. Originally the J mod was called that because the accessory pressure tubing added was bent to look like a long "J" shape that was mounted to the outside of the trans. Carry on.

OP
OP
D

Duffy

Reaction score
Look up 4r70w j-mod. It’s really the way to go with this trans. You’re going to remove some accumulator springs and drill some holes in the separater plate. It will make the shifts crisp and fast but not so hard it’ll rattle your teeth. It will improve clutch life and make the transmission last longer.

A "Trans Pro" shift kit is basically that. It provides some springs and balls along with the directions of where and how big to drill holes in the seperator plate. I put one in a C6 once. I don't know for sure if they make one for a 4r70w though.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The j-mod doesn’t cost anything to do though. Accept drill bits, you might break a couple lol

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Manual swap. Nough said. Lol actually in heavy traffic i wish for an auto. Clutch leg burns a bit. Id like a 6 speed swap for the cobra

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

07GtS197

Reaction score
A "Trans Pro" shift kit is basically that. It provides some springs and balls along with the directions of where and how big to drill holes in the seperator plate. I put one in a C6 once. I don't know for sure if they make one for a 4r70w though.

Trans Pro may be like the J mod but it is not. The J mod was designed by Jerry (I forget his last name) who designed the tranmission so I would go with what the designer says will improve shifting and extend trans life.

I always tell people that my vic J modded itself lol because it loves to shift hard sporatically and can chirp the tires lol. Its probably a broken accumulator spring but I still like to say it lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online