Over thinking like usual

Irate

Reaction score
Southern Ca, but Nor Cal guy born and raised
My 96 cobra with an aluminum fluidyne radiator and is running low on coolant. What kind does it need? Dex-cool seems to be a no, but aluminum and green stuff don't play nice either. Zerex g-05? I know it's not detrimental but i want to use the best.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yea, you dont want to create a battery! Coolant passing through cast iron, steel, and aluminum gets acidic. Not positive of the chemical change cause I only know the dumb down reason.

Cant much blame you for wanting the best for your car.

OP
OP
I

Irate

Reaction score
So... here is the science behind coolant lol
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/08/01/tech-101-the-colors-of-antifreeze/
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a91/1272436/

What I figured out: 1)Ethylene glycol has been around since 1850, but wasn't used as coolant/anit-freeze in production cars until 1937
2) The green stuff is Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) and is compatible with copper, brass, cast iron and ALUMINUM!
3) All other colors are OAT's (Organic Acid Technology) or HOAT's (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) General rule of thumb, Don't Mix Colors! OAT's and HOAT's are better for the environment and more importantly last longer when it comes to preventing corrosion on aluminum and due to less electrochemical degradation they're better for your rubber hoses however
4) Even if you buy a new Aluminum radiator don't switch colors unless the aftermarket radiator requires you to do so.
5) So what happens if there is Orange in your used 96 Cobra with a sweet ass fluidyne radiator that is leaking because thats what happens when you use orange (Apparently GM is being sued over dex-cool because its not that great)? You fill it up with orange, again don't mix colors its can cause a sudden onset of massive corrosion (probably exaggerating a little).

So I'll probably fill it up with orange to get me through the week and call fluidyne to make sure they didn't direct the change to orange. If they didn't I'll get a flush and switch to green with a little higher ratio of deionized water and either water wetter or some purple ice because its hot as hell already here in the high desert. I hope you all enjoyed my over analysis. I'm a Quality Assurance inspector for a Rocket research center so even if it isn't rocket science I can sometimes perceive it that way! Good Night!

OP
OP
I

Irate

Reaction score
Thank you, I put a lot of work into that lol. I called fluidyne they said IAT (green) is fine. Congrats on your new system I'd say keep it simple put Green coolant in it, although if you have a cobra like I do, it won't be anything if you put a HOAT (yellow not Orange) in it due to it having an aluminum block. So now is the more important issue, where is my leak coming from. It looks like the oil pan gasket, but because its clean w/ no oil mixture it has to be the oil cooler. Anybody have experience with this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online