Overheating...fan not working?

lvi56

Reaction score
I have a 98 mustang v6, had it for 3 months, my first car. I'm a college student and commute 3 times a week to school and work. Yesterday it overheated, I looked down saw the temp all the way to the right then the engine shut down. I let it cool down for about 30 mins, made it to a grocery store and got a gallon of water. Nursed it back home stopping 4 times to put fresh water in and let the engine cool. I checked over everything, wires all plugged in, hoses connected, radiator in good condition. I noticed the radiator fan was not spinning, it appears ok, not blocked or broken as far as i can see.
This is all i can think of that could be the problem. Could it be the fan motor burnt out? is there a fuse for it that might be dead? What can I do?

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
First thing to check would be the wiring harness to the fan. Those tend to corrode and fall apart pretty quickly as they are exposed to the elements. Also, do you have any CEL's?

OP
OP
L

lvi56

Reaction score
Wiring appears good looking at it. I'm kind of in over my head with this stuff so i dont know what cel's are.

OP
OP
L

lvi56

Reaction score
I ran the engine with the ac on and the fan still wouldnt kick on. I disconnected and reconnected the wire to it, looks good as far as i can see. fuses appear to look good. I am having trouble locating the thermostat to check it. radiator cap is good. I will be flushing the radiator but dont want to do that untill im sure the fan will work, assuming thats my main issue. How can I test the fan or see if current is getting to the motor?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online