Parking Brake Rubber Seal (Console)

delling3

Reaction score
So another question on the console swap I am doing. The console I got was in really nice shape, with the exception of the rubber seal for the parking brake handle. I have ordered a replacement seal from LMR which I will install after paint. My question is how to install it. It appears that the original gasket was installed on a set of "posts" molded into the console, and then a black plastic retainer was installed over the posts. Finally it appears that the posts were "welded" to seize the seal and retainer in place.

Has anyone replaced one of these? What is the best approach to remove the remnants of the original seal and secure the replacement?

Thanks!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea you can replace it, but it will rip as well. If your going through the trouble check out a leather shift boot.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Actually, neither my original '96 seal, or the replacement seal from the '00 console I picked up had ripped. I managed to rip the one on the replacement console when pulling the console out of the wrecked car at the junk yard. The parking brake was frozen, and I couldn't get the handle to come up far enough to get the console out cleanly. The leather is certainly a consideration, but still unclear how to secure it.

BJ98Cobra

Reaction score
I replaced mine this year because it was in bad shape. I used a heat gun and carefully pry up the plastic hold downs and the plastic seal as best I could. The car is 21 years old and the parts get brittle, so some of it broke up a little. I used a glue gun and as best I could pieced it all together. It worked out pretty good.
I had looked at the leather boot ideal also, and that would have been plan B if this didn't work.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Post mortem on this little project, I ended up using Gorilla brand Super Glue. It's a gel, so doesn't run, and the gasket stuck real well to the ABS. We'll see if it holds up for the long run - been more than a month now and no signs of bonding failure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online