PI Heads

Booboo

Reaction score
Going to the junk yard tomorrow to see if I can find a set of PI heads. I was planning on looking at Crown Vics and F150's. Will anything newer than 2001 work? What about a 2011 Crown Vic or a 2007 F150?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
All 2v modulars came pi after 02 and up. Shoot for 04 up heads. The earlier pi heads came 4 thread sparkplug holes and were prone to blowing out the plugs. The 04 up heads have 9 threads.

Try to find service F250 or Econoline 5.4l heads. They came with most performance oriented cams.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Going to the junk yard tomorrow to see if I can find a set of PI heads. I was planning on looking at Crown Vics and F150's. Will anything newer than 2001 work? What about a 2011 Crown Vic or a 2007 F150?
Where you located? I will be selling a set of new PI heads I got from Summit and never used...

OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
Went to the junk yard today and found a 2009 Crown Vic with a decent looking set of heads, no guages so no idea of how many miles on them. I was not able to take them off today so I have to go back this weeknd. I assume these heads will work.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Went to the junk yard today and found a 2009 Crown Vic with a decent looking set of heads, no guages so no idea of how many miles on them. I was not able to take them off today so I have to go back this weeknd. I assume these heads will work.
when you go back post up some pictures of the heads
check them out

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Good idea Rau03mach
Just so that we can help identify. It would be awful to grab the wrong set.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Count the spark plug threads and pull the cam caps off. You don’t want to see a bunch or scoring on the cam journals.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Counting the sparkplug theads is easy. Either visually looking at the threads or counting the turns to loosen/tighten of the sparkplug.

Otherwise those heads look great. Strange to be 09 heads and they have the cam tower bridges. Did you pull these heads from an 09 crownvic like you mentioned in a post earlier?

OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
It looks like 9 spark plug threads. The cam jurnals are a little scared up. Hope thats not a problem.

OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
Here are the front three on one head. I assume the rest are similar.

Photo Apr 21 2023, 11 35 20 AM.jpgPhoto Apr 21 2023, 11 35 30 AM.jpgPhoto Apr 21 2023, 11 35 48 AM.jpgPhoto Apr 21 2023, 11 35 52 AM.jpgPhoto Apr 21 2023, 11 35 55 AM.jpg

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The caps are a tad rough. Could be the picture, but not bad enough to negate a repair and i base my reasoning on the cam tower journal surface, they looks great. I have ran much much worse conditions and ran them for many of miles. Of course, you ask the same question anywhere else youll get a multitude of answers mostly towards getting the surfaces repaired.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Shoot, I’d rub some red scotch brite in there on the surfaces and I’d run those suckers. As long as the cams spun freely, that is.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
I'd personally avoid heads with seriously scuffed up cam journals and those are pretty seriously scuffed but I also see full on scratches that run the full hemisphere on the cam caps. Yes you can run them but how long before bad things start happening is a guessing game.

Looks like it was run low on oil and/or oil change intervals were regularly extended. Pick up Pinkie's heads. You'll at least never have to put a new engine in it because the cam journals decided to spit a some metal into the oiling system. The journals are meant to be darned near as slick as glass. Significant scoring like your cam caps are showing is a sign of some evil-level maintenance abuse or neglect. I've pulled the cams from enough >150k mile engines where the cam journals were completely un-scuffed, though visibly hazier than when new, to think that there's no reason that they should be expected to look like what you have there other than through abuse/neglect.

I guess you could polish them up but looking at the depth of some of those scratches that could very likely open up those clearances beyond spec tolerances, enough to give you a mismatch between the top end and bottom end bearing clearances, and very likely enough to affect correct oil viscosity. You'll want to have the cam journal repair done with a line hone so you get actually round journals without lumps or a bunch of runout, I mean assuming you want the engine to last a while.

Bearing clearances, load directionality, oil operating temperature and oil viscosity requirements are all strongly coupled. If you do polish the cam journals you're probably best opening the clearances for main and rod bearings to match if it goes over .003" at the cam journals and then going to a slightly heavier weight oil. These engines were designed for really tight bearing clearances in the first place, but the actual spec tolerances are pretty wide so you could push everything to .003 and run 10w30 or 10w40.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online