PI intake swap questions

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
Alright, so, first thought... check the stickys right theres like 6 threads on PI swaps?? Well, I did. Now onto the question. Ive tried doing the PI intake swap, and used as per one of the stickies, a PI gasket with rtv around the water ports (water pump RTV specifically) Its now leaking in a corner, about 300 miles later again. (I did the swap because the old intake had a hole and was leaking). Now im seeing another sticky say to use a NpI intake gasket and seal around the intake ports. Which is better? If I do this whole job again, should i use an NpI gasket? or stay with the PI? I tend to use this website consistently and trust it, but now im hearing conflicting stories on the sticky threads and Im confused. Please help!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The pi swap is a 2day process. Use the felpro specific 4.6l pi intake gaskets, clean the water port in the head making sure no residue, blob high temp rtv into the water port where it is needed and place the intake gasket down lightly, keeping it lined up with the bolt holes. Give the rtv a full 24hr to cure. Then install intake manifold

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
The pi swap is a 2day process. Use the felpro specific 4.6l pi intake gaskets, clean the water port in the head making sure no residue, blob high temp rtv into the water port where it is needed and place the intake gasket down lightly, keeping it lined up with the bolt holes. Give the rtv a full 24hr to cure. Then install intake manifold
Alright ill give the whole thing another shot sometime soon, theres only so much i can do to redo this job again.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
it would also help to have a couple of guide bolt studs to keep gaskets from moving around
when installing intake

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
it would also help to have a couple of guide bolt studs to keep gaskets from moving around
when installing intake
the egr tube is in the way, we tried that but needed to slide the intake towards the firewall before dropping it down. the tube reaches so far down that i feel itd b more work than its worth.

krmanr

Reaction score
I found great info on doing this from Chris Fix:
ChrisFix
Learn how to replace an intake manifold and intake manifold gaskets in your car or truck.
I am upgrading my intake manifold from a non PI intake to a PI performance intake

Attachments

• Gaskets-Intake-Manifold-1996-2004-Mustang (7).jpg
    Gaskets-Intake-Manifold-1996-2004-Mustang (7).jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Gaskets-Intake-Manifold-1996-Mustang (2).png
    Gaskets-Intake-Manifold-1996-Mustang (2).png
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Gaskets-Intake-Manifold-1996-Mustang (3).png
    Gaskets-Intake-Manifold-1996-Mustang (3).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • Gaskets-Intake-Manifold-1996-Mustang (4).png
    Gaskets-Intake-Manifold-1996-Mustang (4).png