pi swap & cams vs. supercharger

ROB 98GT

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! Does anybody know what a pi swapped npi with aftermarket cams would dyno at? I'm kinda torn between doing the swap or getting a centri supercharger. The price I got for the pi swap with aftermarket cams was $3600 and a supercharger would be about $5500. There is only 1 guy were I live that has actually done a pi swap before, he works on mustangs all the time and has a very well respected shop. I run 14.6@92mph with the mods in my sig at 2300ft, if I get the pi swap and don't run 13's, I be upset. My car burns about a 1/2-2/4 a quart of oil between oil changes, do you think changeing the heads would fix that or is it normal? Would superchargeing be a bad idea. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

mark8796

Reaction score
my 96 has 94K miles, has a supercharger, has been driven very hard, and doesn't burn 1 drop of oil. i change the oil (synthetic) every 2000 mi. it is my piece of mind. i would look into the oil consumption issue before doing any upgrades. look at the oil level sensor fitting on the side of the oil pan. they are pretty famous for leaking. i went w/ a supercharger 1st. i m doing pi intake/cams as we speak. good luck.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Find out the source of the oil loss first, if its the valve seals then swapping the heads with new ones is a good thing.

Doing a PI head/intake/cam swap will net you about 40-45rwhp and adding Aftermarket cams such as VT Engines or Crower NA cams would add 25-30rwhp over that. So 65-75 rwhp from the H/C/I swap.

If you swap a Centri onto a basically stock NPI then you won't gain much more then the swap above. My friend put a Vortech at 7psi on his 97 and only put down 255rwhp but this was back in 1997 before SCT had cracked the ECU's so i'm sure there was alot left in the tune but i still don't see much over 300rwhp.

Follow Blown97's progress...he has done a nice assortments of bolt ons and then added the Centri and dyno'd it along the way.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Like droptop said, I used to have bolt ons and was once in the same position as you so if you have any questions just let me know and I'll do my best to help.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
$5500 is kind of pricey for a supercharger unless you are pricing it with the power pipe, intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, and the tune.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd recommend doing the Swap and cams, it will feel much better, especially up high.

Read "the PI Headswap and You" thread for more info on this subject.
Sticky in this forum.

My headswap and cams got me 90 to the wheels, anywho check that thread.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
I'd recommend doing the Swap and cams, it will feel much better, especially up high.

Read "the PI Headswap and You" thread for more info on this subject.
Sticky in this forum.

My headswap and cams got me 90 to the wheels, anywho check that thread.

No disrespect but that was Aftermarket cams(around $600 plus install) and intake(around $600 plus install) on a stroker motor. A pi swap will get about 50 hp, if that, but your total is still under or around 300 hp. A supercharger, at bare minimum, is well over 300 hp.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are you refering to my build? I think your crossed up.
before the stroker motor I did the heads and cams.
I'm serious, my before and after loaded dyno gained 90 HP NA.

Lowering the compression and stroking it changed the power curve and lowered the NA numbers, but that's relative to the motor being built for boost.

a blower on NPI's is still very restricted.

OP
OP
R

ROB 98GT

Reaction score
Thank you for all your replies. I'm going to talk to the mechanic next week and see if we can figure out the oil leak problem and go from there. I'm leaning toward the pi swap with aftermarket cams and maybe throw a 100 shot of juice on top and leave her at that. I should probably buy some other important stuff first like tires and shocks.

svtboy

Reaction score
Pi cam and intake swap with a used s-trim... Will make more power cheaper than anything mentioned above. Used intake $40, cams $60 , s-trimm $2000
Thats less than $2500 .......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online