pi -vs- npi identifying

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by wolvee123, Mar 20, 2006.

1. wolvee123

wolvee123 New Member

I think the last owner of my stang may have done a intake swap but I dont know how to tell the difference between PI and NPI... The GT seems like it has a lot more power than the 215 stock hp from the factory....

Hey everyone this is my first post so dont blast me if I posted in the wrong area!

How do I tell which intake is on my stang and is there any way to tell the diff on the heads? thanks
    wolvee

p.s. second time posting I hope this is the right place to post this ?...

2. STNG_96

STNG_96 Active Member

3. 98GTSTANG

98GTSTANG New Member

Look along the right top side of your intake, and if it has this number: M738E, it is a NPI intake more than likely. Also, look into your valley below the intake, the PI intake will basically touch your block. The NPI wont even come close. I had all the same questions when I bought mine. Good luck.

4. Dalamar

Dalamar Legend SN95 Supporter Retired Staff

Doesn't the PI have an aluminum coolant crossover, and the Non is plastic?

5. 98GTSTANG

98GTSTANG New Member

I may be wrong, but I think when Ford started replacing the faulty intakes on NPI cars they also came with an aluminum crossover. Plus, I think I have seen them on ebay before.

6. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member SN95 Supporter

They didn't start using the aluminum crossover until 2001 so there are PI's that are all plastic.

A good way to tell is to look at the intake from the top/front. If the very first runner after the Coolant crossover goes to the passenger side (left) its an NPI Intake. If it goes to the drivers side (right) It a PI Intake.