Plastidip horror story

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
TLFS150 said:
As far as prep you dont have to sand paint for plastidip.. just wash it hit it with a tack cloth and spray

absolutely, but with the sketchy CW paint we have, we'd be better off prepping the body first. In that case, paints the true option.

boston2k4

Reaction score
im in sc.. hot as hell and my white 97gt sits in the driveway all day in the sun, have yet to have something like that occur. think its a one off deal

oh and the entire car is done exept the hood so time will tell :)

5litrarag

Reaction score
I beg to differ. My DFG looked great and I was always getting surprised compliments to find out it was a stock color, and the stock paint. I think at a bare minimum if I was going to dip part of my car I would wax the hell out of the areas to be done. Even just the chemicals used to expel the material can cause problems paint finishes but I have heard of issues here/there with plastidip. Its not completely harmless like everyone likes to preach and can cause issues.

You beg to differ huh? Ok... why do you think so many people, especially if they are familiar with these cars are so surprised your car actually still has stock paint on it? I'm telling you it was a process or material problem from Ford. It wasnt every single car, but it was LOTS of cars, Ford, Mercury, Lincoln even other brands. My 95 Rio Red Cobra has a similar problem... I've owned it since 05 and it was a close friend's car beforehand. Has stock paint and if I leave it outside the top coat starts to change colors and eventually will fail and begin peeling off. It's always been that way and thats not just from neglect. But my Crystal white 95 GT which has been in my ownership since 98 has perfect paint and no sign of the clear coat problem that my Cobra has. It was clearly a factory issue.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
guarentee someone said it but, that car was painted and thats why it came off. pd doesnt etch to a lower layer so its pretty difficult for it to pull paint off unless the bond of color to primer is weaker then the pd to color coat...

sk1tskat

Reaction score
I think it's all been said already, unprepared surfacing + ford white paint = :thumbs down:

Chenn2389

Reaction score
I am going to try plastidip when I get my new engine in. I need a cowl hood to clear the intake, and I’m thinking about swapping to the cobra front bumper. My car was repainted a few years ago and is still looks good, I just don’t want to drop coin on new paint right now. I think it would be cool to experiment with different colors until I find the paint scheme I truly want. It looks like the formula has come a long way since this original post. They have different types of top coats and you can even ceramic coat It now. If no one has tried it yet I’ll do a write up on it with my overall experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online

No members online now.