PLEASE help

d.garza18

Reaction score
Hi im new to this forum and was trying to find some help and tips. i own a 1996 mustang gt 4.6l and its pretty much bone stock i havent done anything to it but tune it up and replace shocks and struts. i believe the cars sitting around 215hp and 275-285lbs of torque. im getting a 78mm bbk throttle body and plenum and a bbk cold air intake and a intake manifold with pi heads, and some new plugs wires and coil packs. i would love to get the car up to about 300hp+ but i dont have the money to go crazy with it like a turbo or supercharger atm. also it is my daily. and i dont want the car stupid loud but i want it to sound good any exaust recommendations? and what size wheels would fit? any info is greatly appreciated thank you! (also the car is an automatic sadly)

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
Hard to get to 300 n/a without doing cams and full bolt on's. You would need to do PI heads, PI intake, stage 2 or 3 cam (degreed!) with all the bolt ons and full exhaust. But that's some serious $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
thanks. would you recommend i buy the bbk throttle body and intake? and what exhaust would you recommend as well? im open to whatever suggestions you have

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
When I got my 97 back in high school I started with a Bassani catted x and a flowmaster catback. Start with a mid-pipe, catback, throttle body/plenum combo and a little tune. You will notice more response from the car and get some horses. It won't be 300 but it's a start. Then I would do gears :) as for brands for exhaust I say go slp on the catback and the cheapest catted x you can find if you have to do emissions. If no emissions get the cheapest off road x :)

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
thanks any gears you could suggest? and i have a budget of about 2k-2500 possibly 3k.

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
3.73 is a solid choice. With that budget I would honestly do a PI swap and put a blower on and be done with it.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Headers, too. That, along with the rest of the things mentioned above (PI head and intake swap, new exhaust, new throttle body and plenum, new wires and coil packs) and a custom tune when you are all done will get you close to 300 at the flywheel. Yes, steeper gears will wake it up too. I've read that 78mm throttle body might be too big for a N/A motor, I have an Accufab 70mm on mine. Both my 98s have staggered rims, 18x9 front and 18x10 rear on one, 17x9 front and 17x10 rear on the other. If you are on a budget, keep an eye on Craigslist locally. I got my BBK CAI, Accufab plenum and throttle body, BBK headers, and FR500 wheels and tires for half or less of new price. Scored some nice PI heads for around $50, had them checked out and all they needed was new valve seals. Got my PI intake used off eBay. There are people selling stainless long tubes for crazy cheap (like under $150!) on eBay.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If I were spending your money.... You need a full PI swap with a good set of Todd Warren spec'd (NA SVT) Cams with a set of 4.10 gears..

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Where's good ol'todd at anyhow? Does he not like these forums? Figured he be offering all kind of info for the masses. I find it strange!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
As said on these 2v motors it takes a lot of moolah to hit good power n/a. I personally wouldn't mess with small little bolt ons as mentioned. If your goal is 300hp, your quickest and most cost effective way would be a nice set of custom grind non pi blower cams, PI manifold, centri setup, and full exhaust. Still not cheap by any means, but the least restrictive part of those non pi motors are the heads. I picked up over 30rwhp when I swapped from non pi intake to PI but that was at about 14psi on bone stock non pi heads/cams at the time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.