Port and Polish NPI

firstonraceday

Reaction score
96gt226410 said:
my95gtstang said:
96gt226410 said:
There is a company that does great port and polish jobs for NPI heads. I can't remember the name, but I'm sure someone on here does. NPI heads that are ported well flow great however the cost to port and polish heads is around $1,000 after labor and hardware. You can get a set of PI heads for around $500 or cheaper. If you have some extra cash, port and polish those heads instead. The cheapest way to make good power is just to swap the PI intake manifold and PI (or aftermarket) cams. I'm doing the whole PI swap myself. My car has 100,000 miles on it and the heads aren't in the best shape...

actually ive heard that ported nPI heads, PI intake, and PI cams is cheaper then a full PI swap.
i already have the PI Intake, all i need to do is port the nPI heads and get the cams..... im just trying to find out as much info as i can, not gunna be doing this anytime soon

I got all of the parts form my PI swap for $750 shipped to my door. And that includes every gasket, nut, bolt, and with some extra OE seals. Just the port and polish will cost more than that.

damn 750 where did you find a deal like that??

96gt226410

Reaction score
firstonraceday said:
96gt226410 said:
my95gtstang said:
96gt226410 said:
There is a company that does great port and polish jobs for NPI heads. I can't remember the name, but I'm sure someone on here does. NPI heads that are ported well flow great however the cost to port and polish heads is around $1,000 after labor and hardware. You can get a set of PI heads for around $500 or cheaper. If you have some extra cash, port and polish those heads instead. The cheapest way to make good power is just to swap the PI intake manifold and PI (or aftermarket) cams. I'm doing the whole PI swap myself. My car has 100,000 miles on it and the heads aren't in the best shape...

actually ive heard that ported nPI heads, PI intake, and PI cams is cheaper then a full PI swap.
i already have the PI Intake, all i need to do is port the nPI heads and get the cams..... im just trying to find out as much info as i can, not gunna be doing this anytime soon

I got all of the parts form my PI swap for $750 shipped to my door. And that includes every gasket, nut, bolt, and with some extra OE seals. Just the port and polish will cost more than that.

On a Mustang Forum online. I was waiting for 3 months to find a good deal like that. It just takes some time. :thumb:

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Adam said:
And here is a PI swapped car pulling the front wheel and letting off at the 1000' mark.... :)

www.modularmisfits.com/forums/files/Jasonpullinwheel.mpg

I was show an everyday car showing there is not that much of a difference then you go and show that! big difference I can show you 800+ rwhp pi cars but we are comparing apples to apples here.

Adam

Reaction score
That car is as streetable as any car on this site. No race fuel, no radical weight reductions, it had the backseats out for that pass..thats it. You showed a PI car I showed a PI swapped car. I applaud all you NPI guys, but the reality of it, is what you see everyday....NPI is just not getting it done. Don't forget, I had an NPI car, I raced it, i did what I could to make it fast. i was spending money and never seeing 13's. I head-swapped along with cams......13.97 on street tires 1st ever pass. If you guys wanna re-invent the wheel then go ahead, I have been there, I have done that, I am just trying to save you the money that I wasted trying to do what you are talking about. ;)

Adam

firstonraceday

Reaction score
96gt226410 said:
firstonraceday said:
96gt226410 said:
my95gtstang said:
96gt226410 said:

On a Mustang Forum online. I was waiting for 3 months to find a good deal like that. It just takes some time. :thumb:

yea i figured that would be the cheapest way of doing things.

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea that car was pretty much basic pi swapped car with cam. but the only true powerful head that has the style of the npi is the SVO head and if you want the car to proform then slap them on and then slap yourself for spending that much cheeze lol. anyway, I don't understand how a head that don't flow as much and has smaller valves and less lift makes better flow numbers at high lift? i don't get it. and Yes mm&ff don't post accurate info and numbers and you can take that one to the bank, come on a stock pi motor that made 260 something to the rear wheels with nothing done to it? its laughable. :hammer:

ALITL8

Reaction score
i stopped reading a little ways into this but here's the low down... if your going to spend the money to P&P NPI heads, get PI heads and port them. ported NPI heads flow better than stock PI heads but not better than ported PI heads.

in the end, its your car, do what you want to do to it. im going ported PI heads with my build when it starts (soon i hope!!). the guy that will be doing my heads does hand porting and my tuner says he's the best.

jpajkos

Reaction score
I had a 1996 GT and I had ported P.I. heads. Everyone knows a good cam will benefit the most from the heads getting a good P&P. I put down 270.3 RWHP with 307.2 RWTQ with PI Swap, full bolt on's, a tune, and ported heads. So basically look at my signature. I thought Honestly I was going to see higher numbers but got let down.

If you want to get the most out of your motor your defiantly going to have to consider doing the full PI swap. If you would ask me what I would do different I would buy some Patriot heads that come with a 5 angle CNC port job out the box lnk it up to come Stage 2 VT cams and since you have the intake already your ahead of the game.You will see cosiderable gains from this.

I have a friend named Sergio with this swap and he put down 317 rwhp and 358 rwtq, all that and just full exhaust like long tubes, o/r x and a slp cat back,bored over to a 285 and a minor tune. He has no throttle body yet, no CAI, nothing else. He's really doing it right with his 97 GT. His setup has some much more potential it's not even funny. With full bolt on's and anothor good tune he will defiantly see somewhere in the neighborhood of 330rwhp. IMO opinion thats what I would do though.

voidfinger

Reaction score
jpajkos said:
I had a 1996 GT and I had ported P.I. heads. Everyone knows a good cam will benefit the most from the heads getting a good P&P. I put down 270.3 RWHP with 307.2 RWTQ with PI Swap, full bolt on's, a tune, and ported heads. So basically look at my signature. I thought Honestly I was going to see higher numbers but got let down.

If you want to get the most out of your motor your defiantly going to have to consider doing the full PI swap. If you would ask me what I would do different I would buy some Patriot heads that come with a 5 angle CNC port job out the box lnk it up to come Stage 2 VT cams and since you have the intake already your ahead of the game.You will see cosiderable gains from this.

I have a friend named Sergio with this swap and he put down 317 rwhp and 358 rwtq, all that and just full exhaust like long tubes, o/r x and a slp cat back,bored over to a 285 and a minor tune. He has no throttle body yet, no CAI, nothing else. He's really doing it right with his 97 GT. His setup has some much more potential it's not even funny. With full bolt on's and anothor good tune he will defiantly see somewhere in the neighborhood of 330rwhp. IMO opinion thats what I would do though.

So why does his make so much more than yours? just wondernig.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Adam said:
That car is as streetable as any car on this site. No race fuel, no radical weight reductions, it had the backseats out for that pass..thats it. You showed a PI car I showed a PI swapped car. I applaud all you NPI guys, but the reality of it, is what you see everyday....NPI is just not getting it done. Don't forget, I had an NPI car, I raced it, i did what I could to make it fast. i was spending money and never seeing 13's. I head-swapped along with cams......13.97 on street tires 1st ever pass. If you guys wanna re-invent the wheel then go ahead, I have been there, I have done that, I am just trying to save you the money that I wasted trying to do what you are talking about. ;)

Adam

I drive a 5.0L just to say but I have a npi Saleen

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
yea that car was pretty much basic pi swapped car with cam. but the only true powerful head that has the style of the npi is the SVO head and if you want the car to proform then slap them on and then slap yourself for spending that much cheeze lol. anyway, I don't understand how a head that don't flow as much and has smaller valves and less lift makes better flow numbers at high lift? i don't get it. and Yes mm&ff don't post accurate info and numbers and you can take that one to the bank, come on a stock pi motor that made 260 something to the rear wheels with nothing done to it? its laughable. :hammer:

I agree with you on this but there is a dyno around that got the same numbers and when I said something I was the idiot. Because 8.9's@78 does not = 268rwhp and 295lbs-ft. (We will get some news members for me posting this info)

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
ok ok ok enough, we have gotten way off topic lol

basically i need feedback on which is the best route and why

then we can talk about whatever lol :banana:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
i stopped reading a little ways into this but here's the low down... if your going to spend the money to P&P NPI heads, get PI heads and port them. ported NPI heads flow better than stock PI heads but not better than ported PI heads.

in the end, its your car, do what you want to do to it. im going ported PI heads with my build when it starts (soon i hope!!). the guy that will be doing my heads does hand porting and my tuner says he's the best.

Thats absolutely not true!!!

Renegade ported NPI's flow the same as MPH ported 2.5 PI's...

voidfinger

Reaction score
now is that with the same size valves and lift as the pi heads? b/c the small valved npi shouldn't be able to match...IMO

ALITL8

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
ALITL8 said:

if its not true, why does everyone switch to the PI heads? why wouldnt we all just port our NPI heads and use sillycone to install our intakes? im not saying im right, cause what the hell do i know... i just know what ive been told by people that do know :dunno:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
now is that with the same size valves and lift as the pi heads? b/c the small valved npi shouldn't be able to match...IMO

yes that is when they are made equal.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
DropTopPony said:
ALITL8 said:

if its not true, why does everyone switch to the PI heads? why wouldnt we all just port our NPI heads and use sillycone to install our intakes? im not saying im right, cause what the hell do i know... i just know what ive been told by people that do know :dunno:

Its the info that was spread around in the beginning but has been proved wrong by those who have no financial gain in you buying new heads. I was under the impression that NPI's were junk myself because this is what a few idiots in magazines said so we all believed. But a few guys over on Modular Depot played around proved the bottleneck was the intake/cams not so much the heads. The stock PI heads have larger valves and are capable of higher lift so when the NPI are outfitted with equal size valves and offset retainers they stack up quite well. The big downfall of PI vs NPI heads stock vs stock is the exhaust port flow but Jim at Renegade can fix that up nicely.
Go over to TCCOA forums (tbird-cougar) they laugh at us Mustang owners because we are so quick to ditch the stock heads in favor of PI and they can buy them (our NPI's) super cheap and send them off to Renegade.