powerdyne BD-11A/94 cobra

coats04

Reaction score
anyone running one of these let me know how you like it.

i have a 94 cobra and im doing a head swap on it this weekend and i have the chance to pick up this blower settup tomorrow so was wondering how they are.

LAFENATU

Reaction score
They are a street supercharger and that is it, nothing more - nothing less. As long as your not trying to make gobs of power then you'll be ok.

No more then a 9 PSI pulley.

This is what happens when you over spin one.

this happened at about 5800 rpms about to shift into second. using a 2.87 (10lb) blower pulley and the stock crank pulley. headunit had about 6k on it, tops. zero track time

blowerrebuild1.jpg

blowerrebuild2.jpg

blowerrebuild3.jpg

blowerrebuild4.jpg

blowerrebuild5.jpg

OP
OP
C

coats04

Reaction score
um,dont tell me you have to send it back to pd everytime that happens.

OP
OP
C

coats04

Reaction score
are there any beltless headunits (pd or other)that bolt up to the bd-11a brackets?

Lane478

Reaction score
The PD xb-1a is a geared unit that bolts right up. It is also oil fed so you have to tap the pan. Good luck finding one. They don't grow on trees. Good news, they can make alot more boost. I think there's one on ebay for 1700 or so.

OP
OP
C

coats04

Reaction score
the bd-11a just seems like junk.i did some searching and found numerous horror stories.shafts braking numerous belts braking when used in the higher rpms.crappy customer service from powerdyne.bunch of issues :noes:

Lane478

Reaction score
Here's what I've learned about Powerdynes. Take it with a grain of salt, cause I'm not that smart to start with. Powerdyne is out of business, don't really matter cause they wouldn't help when they were in business. Another company is rumored to have bought them out and will be back in production before long(all rumors of course.) Powerdynes were and are the lower end of supercharger performance and quality. The shafts are prone to breaking. I broke the shaft removing the nut from the impeller. Broke off at the base of the threads. Powerdynes cannot be spun more than 36,000 or belt and bearing failure will occur. There are the exceptions to the rule though. Some have had one built by someone having a good day at work that has been reliable for years. A three inch pulley with a six inch crack pulley gives you 36,000 revs right at 6,000 rpm. They are easy to rebuild. That and the fact that you do not have to tap the oil pan are the reasons they are still somewhat popular. The fact they are the cheapest charger you can buy helped to. You can get better bearings and a belt that are advertised to 42 to 46,000. Can't comment; I haven't used them. A company called 928 motorsports has may upgrades for the Powerdyne. Their "Super Powerdyne" comes with a new billet shaft and their own impeller along with better bearings, venting holes in the case, shimming the impeller to get the most boost at a given rpm, and a gates belt. 928 claims that a built charger will flow 1300 cfm and has a better boost curve, meaning it will produce more boost a lower rpms rather than the boost curve being a straight line, it will rise faster and level off at the upper range. I have researched this cause I'm trying to convince myself to spend 1300 to have them build mine. I am waiting for a call back from the head tech guy to discuss it. I will let y'all know what he says.

OP
OP
C

coats04

Reaction score
good reply.well i went ahead and picked it up.everything but the belt.hopefully it doesnt come apart but its used.im going to look into the 928 thing.

i picked up the whole settup with injectors and the fmu,no meter for 200. and a 12ga. shotgun. :dancing6:so i cant complain to much.

Lane478

Reaction score
Everyone I have spoken to recommends 42 lb injectors and a dyno tune. What size injectors did you get? If you plan on running the fmu, it is calibrated(kinda) for stock injectors. Bigger injectors will dump way too much fuel in boost.

snoball

Reaction score
Just save your money. In all honestly, just pick up a used s trim. Best setup for the money, pretty cheap if you look around. Plus they can take you well into the 500hp range if you want to push it. Its a GREAT blower.

OP
OP
C

coats04

Reaction score
im with you on the s-trim but the powerdyne is only running me about 300. thats with the fmu/injectors etc.

cdsmith_2002

Reaction score
I bought a used Powerdayn but I have not installed it yet. My take on it is that if you don't install smaller pullies on it, you'll probably be fine. If they held up over 9psi, they would have likely made it an option. It doesn't, so they didn't. The Powerdyne does get alot of bad 'press', which is a big factor in why you are able to buy used ones pretty cheap. Somebody has to be the 'worst' one!
Aparently, Powerdyne used to the SVO kit many years ago BTW.

I have talked to people who purchased Powerdyne this week. They explained that they have been waiting for legal problems concerning the purchase of Powerdyne, patten rights etc to be resolved. It sounds like to me that they are gearing-up for a possible come back. Oh, excuse me, I ment belting-up for a come back. The good news is, is that they answered the phone (although the automated greating says 'corproate offices', without referance to Powerdyne) and have followed up on my questions. That is a good start.

cmher18

Reaction score
cdsmith_2002 said:
I bought a used Powerdayn but I have not installed it yet. My take on it is that if you don't install smaller pullies on it, you'll probably be fine. If they held up over 9psi, they would have likely made it an option. It doesn't, so they didn't. The Powerdyne does get alot of bad 'press', which is a big factor in why you are able to buy used ones pretty cheap. Somebody has to be the 'worst' one!
Aparently, Powerdyne used to the SVO kit many years ago BTW.

I have talked to people who purchased Powerdyne this week. They explained that they have been waiting for legal problems concerning the purchase of Powerdyne, patten rights etc to be resolved. It sounds like to me that they are gearing-up for a possible come back. Oh, excuse me, I ment belting-up for a come back. The good news is, is that they answered the phone (although the automated greating says 'corproate offices', without referance to Powerdyne) and have followed up on my questions. That is a good start.

You wont be happy with it. PD was the first blower i owned and i made no power with it. I hit a 13.9 with the powerdyen. All i can say is POS

cdsmith_2002

Reaction score
13.90's? That sucks. There is 95 Cobra in my area with the 9# Powerdyne kit. It runs 12.50s on slicks. It was dyno tuned. I'll be pretty happy with real low 13's.

IceMan

Reaction score
I went 11.77 at 118 with my cousins 94 vert, stock shortblock, F-cam, aluminum TF Twisted Wedge heads, TF track heat intake, fuel upgrades and 3.73's with 275-40-17 MT Drag radials, with a Powerdyne at 7.8psi on the dyno. The car made 427 RWHP and 434 TQ... I went 12.20 at 112 (i think) with the similar combo with home ported GT40's and the Cobra GT40 intake when it made 379 RWHP and 38X TQ with the Powerdyne. They can make some power, but they max out quick. They are not bad if you are looking for a little giddy up, but if you plan to race it on a weekly basis, or make some REAL power, get another charger... I MAY have a D1 for sale here soon, if a deal turns out good on this turbo kit Im looking at...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markstang73

Members online

No members online now.