Problems??

Slowbro96

Reaction score
So i had BBK long tube headers installed on my 96 cobra.. And dosnt seem it has the power it should. If my rpms are rising and its not pulling much harder at WOT dose it mean my clutch is slipping? And could my IMRC plate are stuck closed?? How would i know?? also the guy who did my headers must of bumped a sensor or sumthing because im not getting any oil pressure readings...

Wichers123

Reaction score
Get under the car and make sure the rubber connector is on the sensor by the oil filter. And imrc's fail all the time. A tuner and gears can take care of that.

OP
OP
S

Slowbro96

Reaction score
mmm.... would i be able to do a IMRC delete with out a tune? and ill take a look at the sensor today. and i still have the smog pump. he said he cant remove it because car would run like crap. unelss it get a tune. But gears and tuner coming soon

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
The IMRC will cause it to have no power. And you won't always get a CEL light on for imrcs but if you scan it you will find a code stored. My friends mystic just had his fail and it doesn't move out.

OP
OP
S

Slowbro96

Reaction score
i know i wouldnt gain much, but it had a nasty exhaust leak before i had them done. But dosnt seem to have that "kick" like my bros 99 2v with long tubes. Kinda seems like his pulls a bit better. When i do a WOT and shift to second, kinda seems like it bogs a lil bit.. Ima get a stage 2 clutch n see what happends. Clutch is going to get replaced anyways. I dont know what my cobra has been threw from the privious owners sooo. But ive been tweaking and fixing alot of shit. but when we hit higher rpms, just seems like its just not pulling the way it should

kb1982

Reaction score
Easy way to see if your clutch is slipping is put the transmission in the highest gear while driving around 35 mph. Then floor it. This places a high load on the clutch because you are reducing the mechanical advantage. If there is any slipping, it will be very noticeable.

OP
OP
S

Slowbro96

Reaction score
Dam, how would i go about fixing the IMRC problem? I have no idea where to start... dont have much expirence with these 4v motors. Atleast the cobra sounds beasty now with the bbk heads x pipe and xr-1 mufflers lol. i got that going for me atleast... all bark no bite

Wichers123

Reaction score
You can't buy those parts anymore so deleting them is an option, or running a shit load of vac flush down the intake to see if carbon and gunk have them stuck.

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
I am 100% sure your imrc are stuck.

Yes you can run an imrc without a tune. I've been doing it for 2 years. My car made 208rwhp with broken imrc and 270rwhp with them removed and no tune.

Seafoam or any solvent flush has no chance of correcting the carbon buildup of imrc. Once you remove the intake manifold you will see how bad the build really is

Wichers123

Reaction score
I am 100% sure your imrc are stuck.

Yes you can run an imrc without a tune. I've been doing it for 2 years. My car made 208rwhp with broken imrc and 270rwhp with them removed and no tune.

Seafoam or any solvent flush has no chance of correcting the carbon buildup of imrc. Once you remove the intake manifold you will see how bad the build really is
Better check you plugs homie cause your detonating. The tune HAS to modified to prevent damage just like egr.

OP
OP
S

Slowbro96

Reaction score
If i were to take out the plates and clean them would that solve my problem?? or is it one of those once is ****ed its ****ed for good kind of deals?

Wichers123

Reaction score
You could try, a buddy at work tried that but his controller box just decides to work when it wants too. Everything is underneath the intake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online