Progammer or shift kit

Reaction score
What are you intentions, DD or track. What brand are you looking at. Since the 95's and below have OBD I, there is not 'diagnostic port' like the ODB II's. So there is no handheld tuner like the 4.6's have. You can get a chip burned and put that in the ECU. Or the best you can do is get a Tweecer and fine tune it that way, but that is way to expensive for a street car, let alone some track cars.

SaleenStang94

Reaction score
Midnight_Cobra said:
What are you intentions, DD or track. What brand are you looking at. Since the 95's and below have OBD I, there is not 'diagnostic port' like the ODB II's. So there is no handheld tuner like the 4.6's have. You can get a chip burned and put that in the ECU. Or the best you can do is get a Tweecer and fine tune it that way, but that is way to expensive for a street car, let alone some track cars.
jw is ur stang auto or manual. ur makin good hp nums

Reaction score
It's a manual. My car is a Cobra. All cobras came from the factory with a manual transmission. If you find and auto cobra, its either fake, or the driver is an idiot :nonono:

FIVELITERS

Reaction score
Midnight_Cobra said:

I have a 95 gt and it has a "diagnostic port" underneath the drivers side dash.

Theres gotta be a plug in/handheld tuner/programmer for our years, there HAS to be. As i KNOW theres plug in diagnostic scanner/systems for reading engine codes.

If there isnt i'm about to be RIIIICH. :pimp:

FIVELITERS

Reaction score
Oh and demo, IMO i would get a programmer, that way you could program the shift points spot on to the
powerband right where they should be and you want em. Also i know theres chips and stuff out there that give you
a "flip of the switch" option in which case if your shift points arent the best for street driving you just flip the switch and it will be right back to stock. NEAT.

FASTANG

Reaction score
I have a Trans-Go and love it - made a HUGE difference. If you get a shift kit, do not
forget to also run an extenal trans cooler.

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
I run a Transgo shift kit too, without the trans cooler. I need to pick one up though

Reaction score
Yes I know there is a port, but I said not like the 4.6's. You don't understand what OBD II is compared to OBD I. OBD II is what is used on all our cars today and techs are able to program and troubleshoot codes. But there is NO handheld tuners for our cars. The ECU in OBD II and OBD I are COMPLETELY different. OBD II first came out in California in the late 94's. Then they started mass producing them on most cars around 1996 and 1997. OBD III is just around the corner with all of our smart cars.

Most of the 5.0's parts are still mechanically controlled for the most part, this is why you cant tell the ECU to do change. Like the timing, you need to physically change the timing. On OBD II most stuff is electronically controled. This is why cars get heavier and heavier, with new softwares and upgrades, the car is quickly becoming rolling computers.

That is why most car people today are called 'Technicians' rather than 'Mechanics'.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online