Question on Aluminum Door/Rear Seat Panels

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, I did some searching, came up with nothing. So either it's not here or my search fu is weak today. If there's already a thread on this topic, please accept my apologies and kindly point me towards it...

My door panels suck, and I have a gaping hole where my back seat used to be. I'm interested in putting some aluminum panels in both places, like the Scott Rod Fabrications pieces on American Muscle/LMR. However, they are pricey.

Has anyone either used these products and have an opinion, or bent their own aluminum and put it in there places?

Specifically:
  • Rear seat delete: any vibrations or resonations? Did you seal it to the trunk? Does it get really hot with sunlight coming in? Can you put stuff on the bottom seat portion, or does it bow/flex?
  • Door panels: How's the fit? Especially where the door and dash meet? Does it get really hot with sunlight? How'd you mount window/door lock switches?

Any help is appreciated!!

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
They are great quality and a little story of Scott. In 2008 my buddy ordered a set from Scott, they didnt come in and get finished in time for an event that my buddy was getting featured at. Scott finsished the panels, drove them out and installed on site. Great quality, Great product, prices and customer service.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I replied to your pm. For anyone else looking I have, and have used Scott Rod http://scottrodfab.com

Thanks, I took a look at it. I appreciate the response!

I'm considering the aluminum door panels, but will have to mod them for speaker cutouts, and I'll have to do something to mount the door lock and window switches I have...

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
You have a few optison, you can either move the switch inboard of the door and rerun wiring. or you can just cut a hole and remount the switch pack. I have crank windows ....so i dont have these "electrical issues "

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'll fab up a "switch box" and mount it to the surface of the door panel. I don't think there's enough room between the panel and the door to flush mount the switch. Once the panels arrive (I ordered them) I'll have to get around to doing some test fitting.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
If possible borrow a friends or buy a pneumatic rivet gun.... your hands/forearm will help

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, aluminum rear seat delete panels and aluminum door panels arrived, both Scottrod products. When I get some time, I'll install them and throw up some pics. A checked them out, initially they seem nice, but they are really, really thin aluminum. Great from a weight-savings perspective. Some edges/ends are a little bent up in shipping/packaging, but I don't think it will cause any issue.

For the door panels, I don't think I'll be riveting them in. I'll use sheet metal screws or something. I want them to be removable just in case (looking at you, window motors...). The trunk I might do some riveting, not sure yet. I need to think on how I want to set it up. Good advice on the pneumatic gun though...

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
You could do wing nuts/studs or maybe a few dzus fasteners.... or even little cotter pins with little studs, but they will rattle like a mo fugger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online