Question on Cooling Options

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Both won't be able to be on at the same time if your using the CCRM. The relays inside are not set up that way. It's either one or the other..
For race applications I would recomend having an independant sensor and 2 relays for the fans. either set them up to come on at different temps or both come on at the same temp

Ah, okay, thanks for letting me know. I'll have to do some finagling then.

Regarding the separate sensor - why not continue using the one the ECU uses? I can tell the ECU what temp I want the fans to come on.

95opal

Reaction score
Just throw the fans on switches and be done. This way you control what comes on and when.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just throw the fans on switches and be done. This way you control what comes on and when.

It was mentioned before and I am sure it goes with out saying to you opal but to make sure in case someone else missed it, make sure your switches can handle high current (25-30 amps) or you will need a relay or two to handle the current.

Actually there is a 3rd option - make sure your fire extinguisher is handy but that just kinda always goes with out saying it

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I already have a switch in the car that over-rides the CCRM and turns the fan on HI. The switch is hooked up to a relay, so I don't have to worry about amperage through the switch (which is why I used a relay). I honestly don't want two fan switches that I have to turn on manually - I want to the computer to control the fans the majority of the time (I still have A/C). I can flip on my HI switch when racing or for additional cooling. I'll just need to re-wire it slightly to work with a dual fan setup rather than the stock single fan.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ah, okay, thanks for letting me know. I'll have to do some finagling then.

Regarding the separate sensor - why not continue using the one the ECU uses? I can tell the ECU what temp I want the fans to come on.
you can do it that way too. Both fans would have to come on together.
I agree with the others too. Just put both fans on a switch.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Alright, did some reading, some research, and some thinking. I will be using a fan shroud. I understand that it might somewhat limit the air coming through at highway speeds, but on a track the car will not always be seeing highway speeds. It spends a lot of time in corners (depending on the track of course). A fan with fan shroud will help tremendously at lower speeds while not really hurting that much at higher speeds. The car won't be at higher speeds enough to fully cool things while it is transition through and accelerating out of corners. A fan is better than no fan at all, but a fan with a shroud is better than a fan with no shroud. This is all based on a puller setup. A pusher set up is different - a fan shroud should NOT be used on a pusher setup. With a puller, it should, and I shall.

Added some pics to my previous post. Computer was having a heart attack last night.

Back on topic, we're talking racing here correct? You asked for tips from guys who actually race their cars. A street car spends most of it's time under 50mph. A racecar over that. So a fan shroud is the best option for a street car because it spends most of it's time in traffic and requires the fan to do all the cooling. But for a racecar, the shroud actually becomes an interference for the high volume of air that wants to go through it. Providing that you already have boxed it in. Hey you know what? Do what I did. Go to a track event and see what the guys are actually doing. And I mean the advanced guys with modified cars. At the track you'll see what really works.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Did you work it out? I am surfing old interesting threads. I had a 560hp Terminator in a Marauder that weighs 4500 lbs and was always having high temps fights with the car and lots of tries to fix it. I got a Derale dual 12" fan setup running through a 100 amp constant use relay for a skid steer that was the answer. It fit the stock radiator nice and turned into the solution for many high heat toads.

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Added some pics to my previous post. Computer was having a heart attack last night.

Back on topic, we're talking racing here correct? You asked for tips from guys who actually race their cars. A street car spends most of it's time under 50mph. A racecar over that. So a fan shroud is the best option for a street car because it spends most of it's time in traffic and requires the fan to do all the cooling. But for a racecar, the shroud actually becomes an interference for the high volume of air that wants to go through it. Providing that you already have boxed it in. Hey you know what? Do what I did. Go to a track event and see what the guys are actually doing. And I mean the advanced guys with modified cars. At the track you'll see what really works.
Regardless a few of these topics should work on a daily driver? Such as boxing the radiator? I plan on buying a summit racing aluminum radiator for $150 or so and just fabbing a fan shroud if i can't get the factory one to fit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online