Radiator size

Pallgor

Reaction score
I’m going to need a new radiator for my 96 GT. It already has a aluminum one but it’s leaking. I don’t know how many rows it has. What size does anyone think it is. I’m not taking it out yet until I’m ready

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Are you wanting factory replacement type or aftermarket? Factory replacement is made with plastics and is usually where the leaks happen. The aftermarkets performance type are all aluminum, but youll spend north of $400 for a quality brand name or something around $200 for a cheap one that potentially will leak from lack of quality manufacturing. Most people get lucky with the cheap ones, but there are those few that dont and causes more hassle.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
SN95 radiators will always eventually leak from end-tank separation because the front core support is weak and flexes. Unless the front has been stiffened up with some extra bracing, the only radiator that stands the test of time so far is the Mishimoto with the floating mount rails. I've used Griffin, Fluidyne, Champion... they all eventually had hairline cracks right at the end tanks even though they are tig-welded aluminum. Core flex does it.

OP
OP
P

Pallgor

Reaction score
I seen only 2 row on the mishimoto site. Is that good enough ?

wmfateam

Reaction score
Is this for a street car only or track as well? The Mishi mentioned early I had on my 96 Cobra that was a track car and it lasted over 3 years of two weekends a month racing and then it is still on that car with the new owner 6 years later without issues. I just bought an SVE radiator for my 2003 track car and it looks decent but I can't comment on longevity yet.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I can confirm that even though the Mishimoto is not as thick as the bigger radiators, it will definitely cool a 500hp Coyote motor (and that sumbitch gets hot). As soon as the low speed fan kicks on in city gridlock on a hot summer day, the temps stay between 199*F and 220*F which is perfect. I've never seen the temps go higher than 220 and this is using the Coyote's ODB-II sensor which is highly accurate. The 1996 temp sensor through the original OBD-II port agrees with only a 5 - 10 degree margin of error between the two.

OP
OP
P

Pallgor

Reaction score
I was told a 2 core Mitso will be fine for my car. I don’t race it so it should be ok. Ty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online