Random handing idle, already searched for solution. please help

NCMystic

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a problem. My car runs like a champ 99% of the time but today my idle started hanging high for the second time. First time i had the serpentine belt on wrong like a dummy because i had bought the car only a couple days earlier and issues occurred that required me to put it back on (threads pulled out of water pump pulley disc and had to re tap threads on the side of the road)

Well today i went for a trip and after getting off the highway exit ramp i noticed my idle handing out at 15-- or so, usually down near 9-- or 1000. stopped and checked the oil and it was low so added a quart of 40 weight, went fine and idled back down for about a mile then the next light started hanging again. by the time i got home is was hanging at nearly 2,000 in idle at the lights (5 speed)

i know all the smog equipment was removed off the car, there is no vacuum equipment, deleted. he builder said it was all plugged on the inside.

what i don't get is what would randomly cause this to happen??? has only occurred after highway cruising and that 1 time i put the belt on wrong which was a month ago. i don't get it.

also when it does this when cruising if you let off the gas at all it want to "buck" a little, not hard but enough to worry the hell out of me. this car is my daily driver, i already have a mystic sitting in the driveway looking sharp and not being able to go anywhere so i really want to take care of this car, only has 4k miles on the motor. .

really worried about this, it's stressing me out pretty bad so i could really use some input from people who know these cars and what they're talking about.
Thank you

here is what has been done to the car
1989 Mustang LX

ENGINE:
-xxx Block bored, honed and decked. Rotating weight 867.0
-1970 Mustang 351 heads bowl cut, 3 angle ported and polished,
gasket matched intake runners and exhaust ported
-Bronze valve guides
-Competition Ultra Light Roller Rockers with matched springs to cam
-Ford Motorsport x-303 cam shaft
-Ported and polished upper intake, matched to lower plenum with tollerences ruduced from factory spec
-ARP rod bolts
-Ford 24lb injectors
-70mm ported and gasket matched throttle body
-70mm mass air meter
-Holly 255 fuel pump
-Holly adjustable fuel regulator
-Shorty headers
-Off-road H pipe
-fresh rebuilt T-5
-Ford Kind Cobra Clutch
-Billet clutch quadrant
-Adjustable UPR clutch cable and firewall adjuster
-Ford 3.55 rear end gear with locker
-Smog equipment delete
-All new gaskets and bearings
-New water and oil pumps

SUSPENSION:
-Caster Camber plate adjusters
-Lower strut brace
-Granatelli adjustable upper control arms
-Summit lower control arms
-BBK front and rear lowering springs
-Sub-frame connectors

Miscellaneous:
-Hurst shifter
-Autometer liquid filled gauges
-New head lamps and tail lamp housings
-Momo steering wheel

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
also oil pressure maintained between 40-60 depending on rpm and coolant temp remained bellow 220

Reaction score
check timing. and fpr. i have the same issue. played with the dist and got it set in still have little bit for adjustment but i can compensate with my fpr right now idle sits at 12-1300 i need to adjust the fpr again. also make sure all your connections and vac lines are in good shape you would be surprised at how a pin hole could screw you up

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
fpr? fuel pressure is 38, i think it's still half a qt low, all add a half and drive it and see if it fixes it.

no vacuum lines btw, driven it 1.500 miles and this started all of the sudden after getting off highway

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
it has a/c and power brakes. no vacuum lines on the intake i guess. put nearly 2k miles on it without this issue. going to drive it today to see if it's still doing it and get the oil changed

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
On the distributor Its got a small rectangular grey piece on it sits right on the front of it. Thats the tfi(thick film ingnition)module. They go out cuz of the heat.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't there a sequence you have to follow to reset the IAC?

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
happened again when i was over and hour away from home in city traffic, sweated bullitts the whole way home

need to figure this thing out. . .

framda

Reaction score
Had the same thing on my 87 GT. I took the Idle motor of and cleaned it and the throttle body housing with carb cleaner. Back to new after that. Do you have any codes in the memory? Fred

extreme_21

Reaction score
Like most are saying,clean up the throttle body, IAC, TPS, MAF.....before you start going crazy and in over your head, start with basic stuff that can be done in 1 hours time by anyone with basic hand tools and cleaners.... ever hear of the K.I.S.S principal??

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
mine has been doing the same thing since I did the HCI swap. But it will also at random times when I am going 45-60 just completely die when I take it out of gear. My tuner said he thought my coil was going bad so I am hoping it has to do with that...

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
everything is clean, i parked it over night and has not done it since

i noticed something, my cars fan has a clutch type assembly? is this normal? when i look the fans up it's just a sheetmetal fan with no clutch in the center

also when it started idling high on me this time i had been sitting in traffic and my temp went up to 230 and then after being stuck in traffic for about half an hour freaking out it was at 240
to these motors kick the idle rpm up to try and cool the motor down in traffic?

i'm wondering if an electric fan would not solve my problems, and i need a new radiator at some point anywway

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online