Random Misfire

CrystalWhite

Reaction score
I have a misfire that I can't seem to figure out that I was dealing with last year. I am starting to drive the car again for the year and it is bothering me once again. I notice it at idle and while cruising, but everything seems fine when I step on it. I don't really hear the stumble in the exhaust either, just from the engine and feeling it in the shifter. There is a definite shake that happens every second or two if you watch the engine at idle and you can hear the stumble associated with it. The car also seems to run much smoother and sounds better when it is cold vs. operating temperature, which might be another thing to go on.

I have since pulled the plugs and they all looked good (no gas from not firing and light brownish color) and replaced them with copper Autolites and replaced the cap and rotor. Checked at night for any spark leakage and couldn't see anything. The wires are relatively new Taylor wires so I don't see that being the issue. Also, I replaced the balancer last year because the rubber was slipping and that did not fix any of the shaking (just in case someone might be thinking that could be the issue).

I have been trying to find what I should do next since I don't really want to throw a bunch of parts at it. I was thinking to maybe replace the coil next to see if that is maybe the issue. I have been searching around and haven't found anyone with an issue like I have been describing, so any tests or troubleshooting tips you guys might have from experience would be great.

OP
OP
C

CrystalWhite

Reaction score
I Decided to check the codes and completed KOEO, KOER and 3 stages of the cylinder balance test. There were no codes (got 111 for both) and there was a pass every time for the cylinder balance test. I also checked out the vac lines again and could not see any problems. I am not sure what else I can try and I can't afford to throw parts at it right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online