Rear Coilover Noises???

Sean 96 GT

Reaction score
So I was talking with a guy from GTR in Rancho Cucamonga, CA and he said that rear coilovers in our SN95s are noisy on the street. He said that it would make a rattling sound on bumpy roads. Does anyone have rear coilovers on their car? If so, do you hear any sounds that weren't there before? I wanted to go with Bilsteins and the MM coilover kit, but now I'm thinking of just using H&R SS springs with the Bilsteins.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dalamar has MM rear coil overs on his car and he has reported no noise what so ever...... He stated that he was 100% satisfied.

FTI, from my experience and seeing others experiences, GTR in Rancho kinda gives miss leading information.

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Dalamar has MM rear coil overs on his car and he has reported no noise what so ever...... He stated that he was 100% satisfied.

FTI, from my experience and seeing others experiences, GTR in Rancho kinda gives miss leading information.

of course then again dal's car is a garage queen. idk if driving it everyday could cause a squeak?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
One thing i have learned over the year... Mustang Suspension Just Squeaks NO MATTER WHAT.

One you fix one squeak, another will appear. I have all new bushings on my car and it still squeaks.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
if u get a good quality setup like mm you shouldnt have any noise. the ones with noise are the cheap setups. u get what u pay for with coilovers

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I've actually spoken to someone at MM tech line, and they said that rear coilovers are not for the street for that very reason. Gotta appreciate the honesty, because that's less money I'm gonna spend.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i rode in a full-Griggs set up car and it noisy as F*ck.... But i like that :)

when you modify suspension it gets noisy.... thats just the compromise.

ReplicaR, MM does have great techs that give you straight forward answers. I like how they will answer any question for you and explain things in detail.

bany95

Reaction score
The reason that they say it's noisy is because under droop the springs come off the perches on the coilovers (at least with my MM ones). So if you're on a road rough enough to put the suspension into a lot of droop then yea, you'll hear the spring rattling and possibly getting caught on the lip of the perch. I was warned about the same thing by my shop, but I didn't care... and I really haven't noticed any of the "typical" coilover noises (but I also have full exhaust and rarely drive with the top up). Besides if the roads are that rough, I'll take my truck.

The first time I put my car back onto the ground I set it down gently, and stood back to admire my handy work (I just finished replacing the entire suspension). Then there was a loud "bang" and the back corner dropped about a 1/2"... at this point my heart skipped a couple of beats, but it turned out that it was just that the spring was caught on the edge of the perch and didn't seat properly, and the "bang" was just the spring finding it's home.

With the limited number of miles that I have on my coilovers, I see no reason not to run them on the street.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
That's the exact thing that I've been told by MM tech, I just could not remember it off the top of my head. Thanks for the tech, man.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my car has definately been a grage queen, or a shop bitch, I should say.

Before I dropped it off at Truuble's, I drove it around a bunch. I didn't have any noise.
It rides firmer, and if they went delirium bushings, they transer noise.
but ratteling, there's something loose or rubbing.

Mine also does that thing where the spriing come's off the collar on the rear when you jack it up.
you have to make sure it slips back on when dropping it down, or you get the bang.
that's gotta be a pretty rough road for the spring to travel far enough to become unpearched.

My car's not setup to be a smooth daily driver, it's setup for performance bot not so agressive I can'd drive it on the street.

g_dogg

Reaction score
sorry to bring this back. but getting rear coil overs very soon.
dalamar what spring weight/lenth you running in the rear??

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Jeff's advice will not do you any good, because he is also running running torque arm, which gives you more traction than a standard 4 link, and allows for use of higher rate springs in the rear. Like I said in your other post: Call MM and talk to them. You will not get a better answer.

g_dogg

Reaction score
I sent them an email.
they replied asking me for detailed info about my car.
Impatiently waiting for their answer :)
my guess is it will be 175 or 200#

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
good call, get it from the sorce.

Replica is right, when I added the TA, I upped the spring rates front and back.
the roll center is changed and they act more independantly, rather than as a slopy whole on a 4-link.

g_dogg

Reaction score
They really don't wanna recommend me a spring rate for the rear.
They recommended H&R super race springs with MM adjustable LCA's.
Will bilstein HD shocks work with that setup???

I think they dont wanna recommend me a spring rate because
any coilover spring rate in the rear will be too much. I have 300#
coilovers in front and even a 175# in the rear is way to much.
That will result in crazy oversteer. no more rear coilovers for me :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online