Rear mount turbo

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
Me and a friend where throwing around the idea of doing a single or twin rear mount turbo sstup on my 95. Kinda like the corvettes. Main reason is i just didmy hci including longtubes and o/r x and id like to keep them instead of redoing my entire exhaust again.

Any ideas guys.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

RichV

Reaction score
Not sure if I'd do it on a daily, the road crud on the turbo and parts back there would worry me.

Did just see this, reminded me of this car...

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4293897102.html

00y0y_a6eGJ31dDfm_600x450.jpg

OP
OP
R

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
I was thinking after axle and build a heat shield and turbo blanket. Between that and the cooler exhaust temps that far back it should be ok to have near the tank.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
If your fab skills are awesome then I don't see why you couldn't box in, if you will, the turbo setup and keep it clear of too much shit from the road. Running your coldside is going to take some piping tho, just be prepared for that

410sn95

Reaction score
I would sell the longtubes and x-pipe. Then put funds towards a proper in the engine bay turbo setup.

If your totally set on keeping the longtubes and x-pipe but want boost... just get a Supercharger.

OP
OP
R

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
No i must has turbo. And if the vets and other cars can do rear mount it can be done on a sn. And id most likely run the cold side pipe beside the exhaust from the engine. With spacing of course

Sent from your mom's bed

410sn95

Reaction score
The vettes like rear mount because the packaging is easier that way.

Turbos are great because they can be super efficient. By placing the turbo further away from the exhuast ports, you kill some of the advantage of running a turbo but gain a lot more headaches, such as scavage pumps, ground clearance, increased lag, more charge pipeing (ie. weight), etc...

Not trying to rain on your parade. Just pointing out some things, you asked for ideas.

OP
OP
R

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
Advantages so far is, more weight over the axles, cooler intake temps. And your right. Your dis advantages are all true. Hmmm. Its not in the making just throwing around the idea. Honestly in the end ill go with an under hood turbo. But.its all a ways down the road anyway. Since my hci im focusing on suspension. But turbo will be in the furture reguardless

Sent from your mom's bed

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You would more then likely need to lose the rear seat to run the piping in/out but it could work there.

Just want to be different and spend more money or, just want to be different?

OP
OP
R

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
Different. I probably wont end up doing a rear mount but i was throwing around the idea. I haven had a back seat for years now

Sent from your mom's bed

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
pretty sure there it would basically be in the cabin with you so it would also be great to hear and probably work as a good heat source in the winter months on those long drives

OP
OP
R

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
What about in the trunk on the opposite side of the filler neck? Run pipes through the back seat? This is bein more work than i really want but its not not doable

Sent from your mom's bed

ryclef331

Reaction score
The HARDEST part about packaging the rear mount set up is finding a reliable pump to push the oil back to the motor after its gone through the turbo. You need to find a good electric pump to push the oil back to the pan. The key word there is "good." Not a lot of companies out there have shown to have reliable pump setups. Weldon is one though, however, they are not cheap. You also have to be aware that the pump can try to suck the seals out of the turbo if it isn't drawing from a vented catch can. So oil feed your turbo, then drains out the bottom into a catch can of some sort with a vent in it. Reason being is...the oil pump will want to draw oil than the turbo is actually putting out...so we let the oil collect in the bottom of a container (catch can) with an open (vented) top and then have the pump pull from there. If the container runs dry, the pump just sucks air from the atmosphere (vent at the top of the catch can) and doesn't try to pull the seals through the turbo. With me? Now you can also run a small 2-3 quart reservoir in the trunk and use the pump and make a standalone oil system solely for the turbo. This is easier to package in a truck b/c you have more ground clearance to help you.

If this were me and I wanted run a rear mount turbo, here is what I would do.

keep your long tubes, ditch the X,H,O,Alphabet-Pipe. Make a Y-pipe run it down the driver's side. Mount the turbo where the driver's side muffler was (floor of the car raises up there and has some clearance), run your cold side piping up the passenger side where the other exhaust pipe USED to run, the the fender over the tire and into the motor. Wrap exhaust in header wrap, hi temp paint, ceramic coat, aluminum foil, whatever...just wrap it. Keep the heat in there and off the coldside. Run and oil feed to the back of the car from the motor to the turbo and use the space left by the now non existant passenger muffler to package your oil return setup. Muffler? None...dump it off the turbo. Mount a wastegate close the turbo, run a boost reference right off the compressor to the bottom of the gate (this is simple turbo shit now at this point). Airfilter? slap a cone filter with an outerwear on it and stay out of puddles or if you can snake it over the axle and into the trunk, even better. If you could afford to sacrifice the trunk, I would cut out the spare tire well, ditch the stock tank, put a flat floor in there, mount a 12 gallon short, wide fuel cell in it, and free up a SHITload of real-estate behind the axle.

This is all easy to type out but executing is a different story...but if you're motivated, creative, have a pretty basic understanding of mechanics and electrical, and are handy with even a crappy little 110v MIG Welder, you could do this cheaply and (in my opnion) easy. And yes, while a front mount set up IS preferred...the fact of the matter is, its still boosted..."just add 1 more lb."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online