Rear Seat Delete

1bad9d5

Reaction score
So in a couple of weeks i am thinking about taking out my rear seats to obviously reduce weight from the car. I'm just curious as to what kind of delete kits would be best to replace the seats. I see this one: http://www.americanmuscle.com/seat-delete-kit-9498h.html but im just curious, are there better ones out there? Any others with a better bang for your buck kit? Not trying to go crazy, just want it not to be complete open space when the seats are taken out. Thanks in advance.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Save some money and build yourself one out of plywood and carpet. Thats what I did and ended up spending a little over $40 all together

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
From my build thread

Was bored today so decided to make a rear seat delete. Spent a lot less than I would have if I bought one and Im happy how it came out. For anyone thinking about making one themselves I was really happy with this carpet from walmart. It was the only thing I could find local that looked close to the stock black carpet. I ended up using two rolls of it and needed one sheet of 4'x8' plywood.

Im going to take the seat belts out just didn't have time for it tonight

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-Industries-Carpet-Replacement-Black/15524364#ProductDetail

OP
OP
1bad9d5

1bad9d5

Reaction score
yours definitely came out great. thanks man, ill definitely keep that in mind as an idea to do for my car

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I can't remember if he did this or not but you could hinge that top section to fold down for extra storage if your, say, hauling your slicks to the track. Lawd knows those fawkers don't fit in the trunk!

I'm definitely supporting his idea of building yourself one. Saves you an easy $100 man

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Cant believe what they charge for them but I guess if someone is selling, someone is buyin. Its not hard to make your own and if its truly to save weight go and get some foam board from staples. Cuts easy with a knife and still stiff enough to carpet.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I bought mine from a local for 20 bucks lol brand spanking new! MMR one. I'd never spend more than that on a rear seat delete. I'd honestly just make one.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Leave it open.... trunk space is nice, and easier to vacuum steal then carpet ...

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I went with this kit: http://www.americanmuscle.com/rear-delete-wfiller-black-9404.html from American Muscle - pricey but I've got too many other things going on right now and my time is worth me to at the mo.

I was originally going to to do it myself, already have the aluminum, but plans change. I'm using the aluminum for something else inside the car.

Once I get around to installing it, I can take pics. I plan on running weatherstripping around the trunk part, either putting hinges on the sections or leave them floating, and use Dzus fasteners to hold it in, so I can remove if necessary. But honestly, this isn't my DD, so I'm really sure I see the need for it to fold down. It will depend on how hard and how much time it takes to set it up. I may just silicon/rivet them in place.

Edit: if you have the time, build your own out of aluminum or board/carpet. It will be cheaper and more satisfying.

OP
OP
1bad9d5

1bad9d5

Reaction score
I went with this kit: http://www.americanmuscle.com/rear-delete-wfiller-black-9404.html from American Muscle - pricey but I've got too many other things going on right now and my time is worth me to at the mo.

I was originally going to to do it myself, already have the aluminum, but plans change. I'm using the aluminum for something else inside the car.

Once I get around to installing it, I can take pics. I plan on running weatherstripping around the trunk part, either putting hinges on the sections or leave them floating, and use Dzus fasteners to hold it in, so I can remove if necessary. But honestly, this isn't my DD, so I'm really sure I see the need for it to fold down. It will depend on how hard and how much time it takes to set it up. I may just silicon/rivet them in place.

Edit: if you have the time, build your own out of aluminum or board/carpet. It will be cheaper and more satisfying.

Yea i was looking at that as well as an option. I would love to build my own and i'll try but i just dont think i'll have the time for it. Driving to Terlingua tomorrow and work and school has most of my time once im back, if you get any pics in the next couple weeks, id like to check them out. thanks man

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Would deleting the seats really reduce that much weight...?

They aren't even that heavy. By putting a filler back in are you really saving any weight at all? Especially if you're putting wood in.
If I really wanted to do weight reduce I would do it all or nothing. Just strip the whole interior.

Also if you're doing weight reduction for racing, just do it at the track. I take out the subs, spare tire, and back seats at the track usually. Doesn't take much time or effort.

OP
OP
1bad9d5

1bad9d5

Reaction score
I mean reducing 50 pounds isn't HUGE but its something, and its also because then i have the perfect reason why nobody can try and grab a ride from me since there will be nothing back there for them to sit on.. if there are seats, then they just continue to nag and its annoying

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
perfect reason why nobody can try and grab a ride from me since there will be nothing back there for them to sit on.. if there are seats, then they just continue to nag and its annoying

Solution: Lower it, stiff suspension + bumpy road = never ask you for a ride again unless they get the front seat.

That's how I solved it!

OP
OP
1bad9d5

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Solution: Lower it, stiff suspension + bumpy road = never ask you for a ride again unless they get the front seat.

That's how I solved it!

haha yea well now with my turbo, most of them are scared to even get in the car which solves the issue a bit, but i've never wanted the seats there, to me they are useless, im not going to toss them or anything, i'll keep them in my garage, but i want them out of my car lol

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I went with this company. No plywood and I had them ship it without the carpet glued so I could cover in perforated vinyl to match my fr500 steering wheel.

http://rearseatdelete.com/mustang.html

Those are pretty nice - I like that they aren't wood/board. If I had known about this site I would have seriously considered them. Including shipping, they are about the same price as the Scottrod kit from AM. So I guess it's more what does it for you: carpet or aluminum.

As for the weight savings, I don't know yet. For a street car, yah one could argue that the weight saved is negligible. Really, it looks good and is different. Good enough reason to go with it. For me, I track my car, so the weight savings is worth it. I could have left it open, but meh. I still run A/C so it's a bit hypocritical for me to go hardcore on leaving the trunk open and then leave A/C in. For what it's worth, my car right now weighs about 3180 with 1/4 tank of gas.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
What a seat delete saves me is the problem of ever having to try and cram someone in the back seat to listen to them complain about how tight it is, as if I am having a good time trying to have enough space to hit the clutch and see the gauges..... Worth every damn dime to save that. In reality I had people in the back seat maybe 6-8 times but not having to do it again is the #1 reason I recommend it. #2 is that there is a TON of usable storage space back there once you don't have to worry about your friends fat asses!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online

No members online now.