Rear sway bar hitting differential cover?

OP
OP
D

Drw814

Reaction score
Hi everyone, for some reason I just started getting email notifications from this thread. I apologize, completely forgot I posted on here for assistance and I thank you all for contributing. Turns out the sway bar was actually hitting the exhaust going over certain bumps. The exhaust had matching slight dents on both sides and the sway bar had a little wear to match. I pulled the sway bar off a couple days after posting here and it’s been off since. I was initially worried about the adverse effects this would have on handling but I just did a track event last weekend and the car did great. 123B3A05-2657-4A35-976E-45568A5D1A7B.jpeg

weendoggy

Reaction score
Som-bich! I was just getting ready to ruuuummmmbbbblllleeee! btw: glad you fixed and/or found the problem :cool:

OP
OP
D

Drw814

Reaction score
I would like to have a swag bar on the car, but would need either a different design of sway bar, or to redo my exhaust. Not sure there is enough room between the axle, sway bar, gas tank, and exhaust to have them not hit each other.

weendoggy

Reaction score
I would like to have a swag bar on the car, but would need either a different design of sway bar, or to redo my exhaust. Not sure there is enough room between the axle, sway bar, gas tank, and exhaust to have them not hit each other.
Well, my "sway" (not swag) bar is on my '02 with everything plus a Panhard bar. It all fits fine and no banging or vibrating. Even put a Eibach bar on which is a bit larger O.D. Could be your exhaust needs to be "adjusted" (cut/reweld) a bit. I know mine did after I put the PB on but all good now.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I have what I suspect is a eibach rear sway bar on my 02 gt with slp exhaust. There is lots of room when the suspension is loaded. Even while compressed I don’t see it hitting the exhaust. Something is probably just misaligned or maybe some cat backs are routed in a way that it’s prone to hitting.
77FCB95B-2445-4826-8645-017247D53779.jpeg

Don’t mind how dirty everything is lol.

OP
OP
D

Drw814

Reaction score
I do agree that it is an exhaust issue. In the picture here you can see the sway bar position with the car on jacks. With the car on the ground, the sway bar will both move up with the axle, and pivot as the control arms settle in a more horizontal orientation. If the exhaust could be extended 2-3” prior to the downward bend, everything should clear.

Attachments

• 5D6ED01E-0EA9-4167-AA73-78D5D9D1AA4D.jpeg
    5D6ED01E-0EA9-4167-AA73-78D5D9D1AA4D.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 12

weendoggy

Reaction score
I do agree that it is an exhaust issue. In the picture here you can see the sway bar position with the car on jacks. With the car on the ground, the sway bar will both move up with the axle, and pivot as the control arms settle in a more horizontal orientation. If the exhaust could be extended 2-3” prior to the downward bend, everything should clear.
Yep, I had similar issues when I put my PB on and then had a muffler shop "adjust" the exhaust. Not an issue with the bar, but a shop could fix it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online