Removing the ac

Kornnut

Reaction score
How many have done this. The previous owner of my car took the pulley off my compressor and just ran a short belt. I am going to remove it all. Anyone got any tips or pics?

Downshift

Reaction score
I have been debating doing this for a few months now. Supposed to save like 35 lbs or something and I know it makes working on things much easier not to mention cleaner looking. 100+ Summers and black car tend to make the decision tough though.

If there is still refridgerant in the system all I can tell you is be careful not to inhale it or get it on your face when you release it because it will freeze your eyes out or the air in your lungs....

916_5.0

Reaction score
Well i didnt do it myself the guy who had the car before me did it. He took everything off though like everysingle thing that was part of the ac unit is off my car. I personaly think it looks so much cleaner, not to mention how much eaiser it is to work on things with all that gone. I can post some pics if you want to see what it looks like with no ac.

Reaction score
If you take out your AC I suggest wearing long sleeves and goggles, because if there is any freon left in there, and it gets in your eye, it can blind you. But talking out the AC is so easy. You just need fuel line disconnect tools.

hipo50mustang

Reaction score
I replaced mine last summer when the clutch on the pully locked up. it was cheaper to replace the whole thing that just the pully clutch mechanism. not too bad, the only thing was the tubing was a little tight, but if you are planing on removing it all together, there should be no problem. Just remember that in most places (like where i live) there are fines from the EPA for releasing the freon into the air and you have to have permits to mess with the AC of a car, but I still did mine on my own anyway with very little freon leakage. sorry i dont have pics. ???

OP
OP
K

Kornnut

Reaction score
916_5.0 said:
Well i didnt do it myself the guy who had the car before me did it. He took everything off though like everysingle thing that was part of the ac unit is off my car. I personaly think it looks so much cleaner, not to mention how much eaiser it is to work on things with all that gone. I can post some pics if you want to see what it looks like with no ac.

Pics would be good so I can see what to take off. Do you have pics of all the stuff off the car?

916_5.0

Reaction score
Do you mean doi have pics of my car with no ac in the engine compartment? Or do you mean do i have pics of everything that is taken out i can take pics of both if you want to see both.

OP
OP
K

Kornnut

Reaction score
916_5.0 said:
Do you mean doi have pics of my car with no ac in the engine compartment? Or do you mean do i have pics of everything that is taken out i can take pics of both if you want to see both.

Both would be great actually.
Thanks

ryclef331

Reaction score
WIsh I could tell you the RIGHT way....I just left that power steering and a/c brackets completely off and cut the freon lines and ran away for a bit. Came back and cut off ALL of it. Shortbelt all day. Again, I don't reccomend doing it that way....especially if you want to put it back on.

OP
OP
K

Kornnut

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
WIsh I could tell you the RIGHT way....I just left that power steering and a/c brackets completely off and cut the freon lines and ran away for a bit. Came back and cut off ALL of it. Shortbelt all day. Again, I don't reccomend doing it that way....especially if you want to put it back on.

Yeah going to run the short belt. I really want to clean up under the hood, and drop a little weight.

OP
OP
K

Kornnut

Reaction score
The two hoses going into the rad up front. Do I need to cap it off at the rad or just leave it? How about the plug in next to the air filter do I just tuck it away? Also the canaster on the fire wall. Do I just take it off and plug where the line goes into the fire wall? What do I use to take off the top idler pully with?

916_5.0

Reaction score
I took a few pics of my engine with all that crap out and some a couple of everything that is pulled so i will try and post em tomorrow.

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
Please post some pics. I am also interested in removing my A/C. Hasnt worked since I bought the car ten years ago so no need for it. Plus my headers melted one of the lines on the passenger side. Also looking for that clean look, miss the days of just an engine and some spark plug wires. I remember sitting inside the engine compartment of my dads old truck when he worked on it.

ripper

Reaction score
What would be really cool would be a way to route some of that cold air to your intake. Like change your intercooler to a radiator with the cold a/c running threw it. Talk about HP. :banana:

Suspect

Reaction score
its real ez. just have the the ac/fuel line disconnect tool. i unhooked all those 1st. took the battery out and unbolted the compressor and wiggled it out from top. with that line that goes back near the firewall. then i took the canister out and left the condenser in for a shield.

i tried to mark it, hope it helps.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ripper

Reaction score
Engine looks great Anthony. You could eat off that thing :thumb:

Suspect

Reaction score
:) thxs bro. when i take it apart to put my heads in it will look even better. cant wait!:dancing6:

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
Got the A/C out mounted the MSD and installed the holley upper and lower. Thanks for all the advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online