removing window tint

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
So my dad went to the wrong place to get his inspection sticker up here in MA and he was in violation for illegal tint on his caddy (12% it registered). His was professionally done and done really good actually, I wasn't sure where it was done because it was bought that way. Anyways, I peeled the tint off by scraping the edge with a blade until i got a piece and just ripped the whole thing off. Did the same for all 4 windows, and was left with alot of glue residue all over the windows, actually all over the windows. The best thing I have found for removing the glue is lacquer thinner and a sharp razor blade. *If you take this advice, just beware that this will take the paint off of plastics and possibly your exterior, so keep it on the windows* But what I did was take a paper towel and folded it so i got a thick padding and filled the edge/tip of the paper towel with lacquer thinner so its soaked. After this have the soaked paper towel in your hand with the razor in the other hand. With your dominant hand hold the razor, and the other hold the soaked paper towel. Rub the soaked edge of the paper towel over a part of the window, then quickly shave the glue off of the wet area on the window. You only have about 15 seconds to shave off the glue before it dries up, but once you get the area soaked and shave it before it dries up, it comes off like nothing. The tricky part is to get in a mode where you soak the area and shave quickly. A little patience is involved because it can take some time to get all the glue off the entire window. For instance, I needed to peel the weatherstripping back to get the entire window, and even after I did that there's a spot on the bottom where the tint actually went below the frame, which I cannot get. I have tried paint thinner, pb blaster, windex, dry shaving, and wd40 so far and this seems to be the best. It mostly depends on how long the tint has been on the windows though. My mach only had it for 7 months and the tint came off relatively easy with little glue residue left over, whereas my dads has been on there for a few years I'm guessing, so the glue will stay behind. I don't have any pics of the before and after yet, but I will have them up within the next few days. If you have any easier ways, please feel free to share. Again, do not get the lacquer thinner on the plastic parts or exterior. Hope this helps

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
try wd-40 next time. and it smells better and it doesn't dry out your hands. i used it to remove the glue residue after i removed a grafic on the exterior of my truck. i tried laquer thinner, acetone, and alcohol and nothing disolved the glue enough.

Scarface

Reaction score
one tip I found is not to use regular razor blades. Most detail shops sell plastic razor blades. THese can safely be run across the defrost strips without cutting them.

1996slowstang

Reaction score
Just keep doing what you are doing with the razor blade, but spray glass cleaner all over the window and scrape with the razor blade the glass cleaner will keep it wet so the razor blade will slide easy on the glass. for the back glass with the rear defroster on it I dont know what to tell you,I had this problem with my stang I could get all the glue off all the windows except the back one because you cant scrape it with the blade or it will cut the heater.

topless95

Reaction score
razor blade used w/ soapy water mix sprayed out of a bottle

red94gt5.0

Reaction score
ive tinted at my shop for customers a few times and the EASIEST way to get it off is with a steamer,409 (wont hurt your plastics :D ), papertowels, razor. you heat the tint till the glue gets hot and starts to peel off the window

Addermk2

Reaction score
Ammonia dissolves the glue... and it does it quickly

1bad95

Reaction score
exactly what adder said. to get it off the back window get a black trash bag, lay it on outside of back window, trip so it will fit inside of glass, soak the window with straight ammonia then place the trimmed trash bag over it and rub it to get the bubbles out and park out in the sun for an hour or so. then pull up a corner with razor blade and pull it all off. prettty much all glue will come off. use the ammonia and towel to get rest off. this way you dont mess up the defrost. laquer thinner makes a gooey slimey mess with the glue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAR_19

Members online