Removing X Pipe

Boostr1

Reaction score
Is there any order to removing the xpipe, like what side to unbolt first first. And what side to leave for last.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
@lwarrior1016: No, I have the Ford Racing ceramic coated shorties. I gave up, After 5 hours there is one bolt on the driver side header flange I can't break loose.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
did you try any penetrating oil? They are hard to get to especially if your working alone. It is a lot easier if you have a helper to be on top while your under it.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
did you try any penetrating oil? They are hard to get to especially if your working alone. It is a lot easier if you have a helper to be on top while your under it.

From the other post you replied to: I have Ford Racing shorties. Yeah, I hit it with everything. You can't get to it from the top. You can barely see the flange from the engine bay plus the stupid EGR tube is in the way. I'm thinking maybe a better Impact gun. The one I have is weak, I can barely knock off lug nuts sometimes with the one I have.

The driver side wasn't to bad those were just bolts I just used a breaker bar and swivel adapter and broke those loose, Having the wheel and wheel well liner removed makes it easier.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
It's so frustrating, I wanted at the minimum the X pipe out and the drive shaft. Ugh depressing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have shorties as well, I know this pain. I was able to get my ratchet on the top and wedge it in so that it was against the firewall while I got it from the bottom.

joe65

Reaction score
Yeah feel your pain. I use a extension with a swivel to get to the nut. I had a fox once that had 250k and original h pipe and couldn't get it for shit. Had to have an exhaust shop cut it with a torch

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
I have shorties as well, I know this pain. I was able to get my ratchet on the top and wedge it in so that it was against the firewall while I got it from the bottom.

That's what I was doing with the wrench, but it kept coming off caus of the impact gun. Lol, I have a bruised eye socket from it... looks like Tyson gave me a right hook to the side of eye socket. Did you go thru the engine bay? I'm thinking maybe a nut splitter may work.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think I used my ratchet and put a piece of electrical tape over the socket before I pushed it on the bolt head from above. It might take a little trial/error to get the size perfect but the vinyl will compress and help to keep it in place.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Time to cut it off

I'm gonna try a couple of things, and if they don't work that's what I'll have to do. I don't feel like putting the car on a trailer just for somebody to cut it of or torch it off.

I think I used my ratchet and put a piece of electrical tape over the socket before I pushed it on the bolt head from above. It might take a little trial/error to get the size perfect but the vinyl will compress and help to keep it in place.

Why?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I'm gonna try a couple of things, and if they don't work that's what I'll have to do. I don't feel like putting the car on a trailer just for somebody to cut it of or torch it off.

Why?

Why?
Send a picture of this
So I can get a idea of what you are dealing with
I had some bolts strep out and in very tight places

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So what I typically have to do is get a mid depth 6 point socket and a universal joint, then a breaker bar. I don’t like to use an impact on these bolts.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
So what I typically have to do is get a mid depth 6 point socket and a universal joint, then a breaker bar. I don’t like to use an impact on these bolts.

I tried that a few times, but the wrench keeps coming off the top of the bolt. For orientation sake, (It's on the driver side and the bolt is on the motor side) the bolt head is at the top, the nut is facing the ground. I can only fit the open end of the wrench on the top of the bolt because the EGR bung is right next to that bolt so I can't fit the closed end. I get it where the wrench is resting against the fire wall, then I use the breaker bar, but once I put pressure on the breaker bar (talking about a shmit load) the wrench pops off, either I'm striping the bolt or the wrench is deflecting of the fire wall. I can't see the bolt but it feels like it isn't rounded out. I actually don't have to use a swivel socket, my 1/2" (anvil) extension is long enough to give me a straight line.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
All the other nuts on the passenger side came off fine with a little breaker bar cohersion... even the bolt at the mufflers came off no problem, just that one freakn nut.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
you could have cut it off , and been done with it
just saying

Yeah, I just purchased a Aircat Nitrocat 1/2" stubby impact gun which is 10x better than the Craftsmen wanabe impact gun I have, and gonna see if that can persuade that nut. Plus I wanted to get a better impact gun anyway. Then if that doesn't work I'll make you happy and cut it off.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, I just purchased a Aircat Nitrocat 1/2" stubby impact gun which is 10x better than the Craftsmen wanabe impact gun I have, and gonna see if that can persuade that nut. Plus I wanted to get a better impact gun anyway. Then if that doesn't work I'll make you happy and cut it off.
:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online