school me on blingin the car

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
ok, as the title says, can you guys teach me about some of the products out there that realllly work well to clean up the car?

i would consider myself pretty good at detailing but i wanna step up my game a bit. im basically a pro with the Autozone brands but i feel behind with all these nice high end car detailing brands.

so, anyone care to give me some insight on a full line of detailing equipment? i will start researching this on my own but maybe some of you guys can give me a head start..

also, one problem i have is drying. these texas summers KILL me by the time it comes to drying, i can't get the water off the car quick enough which results in HARD water spots.

thanks guys.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well Trey, there's typically 5 setps to a good full detail.

Strip
clay
polish
sealer
wax

Strip wash to remove the old wax and junk, dish soap, degreaser, wash.
clay to get all the surface contaminates off the paint.
Polish for paint correction as needed - may take more than one aplication.
Sealer - like the Klass, for protection
Wax top coat for shine.

Juztang has some nice kits at a discount.
An orbital really saves time and gives better results.
send him a PM, or you can do some searching.

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
All you have to do is try other products and see what works best for your taste. The steps that Dalmar posted are the general steps and work great for a really good shine. I bought Blackfire last year and I love the stuff. The shine is awesome and it is soooooooo easy to put on and take off. Check it out.

http://www.properautocare.com/blaccarcarki.html

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
first get a pc 7424. as for drying and waterspots always use the hose and flush the water off the panel to "sheet" the water off and dry each panel after you rinse it (you will have to go back and dry it every once in awhile as you get overspray on it). Also you get get one of those softeners/filters that you put on a hose (i really want one badly). i think i saw a setup for 89.

i have tried a shitload of products and i switch up what i use quite a bit.

wash-meguiars nxt
clay-pinnacle
qd- cleakote quikshine
polish (machine)- optimum compound/polish
polish (hand)- meguiars scratch x, color x, 3m rubbing compound
wax- p21s/s100 (same thing just different names), nattys blue
sealant- klasse All In One first then their Sealant Glaze
tire shine-meguiars hot shine
metal polish-flitz
glaze- clearkote red moose glaze (more of a deeper,wetter shine), one grand omega glaze (hides more)

that is what i generally use. all depends on what i am going for because i have a lot of different products and some do things better than others etc. I switch it up every once in awhile. used to do klasse aio, then klasse sg and then top it with p21s wax a lot (great shine from the p21s and the durability of the klasse sg. then i have used red moose glaze p21s or s100 and also used nattys bluse a lot too

i have a lot of shit and have forgotten half the stuff i have probably lol.

this is about 1/2 my stuff(i had a few sprees after i took these in 06 lol)
IMG_0404.jpg

plus i have a pc 7424 w/ edge pads and a shitload of microfibers.

and i plan on trying more/adding more things to the arsenal soon

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
wow there's just too much to know with this... I mean really... I just wash my car and polish it with some turtle wax and then cover it up with some caranuba wax... I guess what I sould really do is polish, then glaze a couple times then seal it then wax it... WOW that's way too much stuff... I think i'll stick with my wash polish and wax.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
realitygt said:
wow there's just too much to know with this... I mean really... I just wash my car and polish it with some turtle wax and then cover it up with some caranuba wax... I guess what I sould really do is polish, then glaze a couple times then seal it then wax it... WOW that's way too much stuff... I think i'll stick with my wash polish and wax.

if ur happy with your results than stick with what u do, but if you want more then wash, clay, glaze, sealant and/or wax. once you get the base completely cleaned/polished then all you need is wax and if you like the added depth/wetness a glaze 1st or sealant for durabilty topped with a wax for shine

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
awesome info guys. i bought a cheap orbital a while back because i can't find the PC 7424 anywhere... but this summer i plan on getting my car back looking amazing. i do have a spot on my rear passenger quarter panel that is oxidized and beyond repair.. i kept it polished and waxed to but there was nothing i could do to stop it i guess.. it looks reallly bad though.

but, im ready to get the car cleaned up again. :thumb: :thumb:

Obsessive Detail

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
awesome info guys. i bought a cheap orbital a while back because i can't find the PC 7424 anywhere... but this summer i plan on getting my car back looking amazing. i do have a spot on my rear passenger quarter panel that is oxidized and beyond repair.. i kept it polished and waxed to but there was nothing i could do to stop it i guess.. it looks reallly bad though.

but, im ready to get the car cleaned up again. :thumb: :thumb:

Checkout my website for some nice Porter Cable packages. I give members here $10 of the PC packages and 10% off of products and accessories.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
is this a short term deal or can i do it this summer? i have 3 weeks till finals and then im home to work for the summer, i will probably do it then if you still have the deal going on. :thumb:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
realitygt said:

Is that a lot?

I've got like 10 more items than shown in this pic.
I've added some of the Optimum line and Juztang's Obsessive products. I likes them.

I just get excitable, and like to keep my options open!

detailcart.jpg

It's spring, we should do a "post your detailing supplies" thred. :)

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Claybar isn't really needed. Unless you have serious debris on your paint. With all the washing and detailing most of you do, I doubt it be worth it to claybar IMO. Just get all the old wax off with dilluted dish soap like Dal said, wash, polish,glaze, and wax. Then call it GG.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
i love the paint after claybar... feels soooo awesome.

and i probably have 3/4ths the amount of stuff you have Jeff, its just all autozone stuff. i want the big boy stuff.

ill make a order probably the first week of summer for some new supplies so i can get her shining nice. :TY: :TY:

and btw Jeff, im buying a car like you. im tired of putting all my towels in plastic bags and getting dust all over them!

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]

and btw Jeff, im buying a car like you. im tired of putting all my towels in plastic bags and getting dust all over them!
Well bro, you can't buy a car like mine!!!
haha,

you going with a PC?

Obsessive Detail

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
is this a short term deal or can i do it this summer? i have 3 weeks till finals and then im home to work for the summer, i will probably do it then if you still have the deal going on. :thumb:

This is a deal that I offer all of the time for members here!

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
lol my bad jeff, i meant carT for cleaning supplies.

i wouldn't want your ugly one off, custom, pearly paint with immaculate motor and rotrex charged stang............... :p :p

ima get a cart like that though. i like it a lot.

and thanks for the info on the PC package. i will be getting that within the first month of summer. :thumb: :thumb: and yes Jeff, ima get the PC.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
definately need to get a new supplies thread going. once i get the new shipment in and get it all organized ill get some pics

claybarring would be a good thing to do. Even though you think the car is pretty clean after you claybar you will realize how "clean" it really was. U dont need to do it everytime but atleast once a year is not a bad idea if not 2-3 times (depends on how much u drive it, where etc.). You could just do the areas that need it mostly (lower panels etc.) if you want.

Its the little things that count and set ur car apart from the other average car

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online